White gas stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really really like the Svea 123R, for no other reason than it is a beautiful piece of gear. I suppose I could offer coffee to those who might object to me lighting it off too early. Then again most are wearing earplugs because of the snoring so they might not hear the jet engine ignite. One could always hope.

Last edited:
A similiar concept was used in World War 2 on the V-1 flying bomb (AKA the buzz bomb) that was used by the Germans to bomb british cities.

Next time you see a world war 2 movie that includes the blitz, take note of the sound of the V-1, it sounds darn close to a white gas stove at full blast.
The Historry channel just had a special on the Gerrman rocket/jet program. It was very interesting. The only difference is unlike the V-1, you want the roar to stop.

Alcohol stoves are marginal in the cold.

Doug

I disagree. SOME alcohol stoves, perhaps MOST even. But not ALL. I use an alcohol stove exclusively in all seasons. I would not call its efficiency nor time marginal. In fact it was superior to a whisperlight 2 weekends ago. It all depends on the design of the stove. My favorite is the Starlyte Stove and it works phenomenally in sub freezing weather.

I guess I will be the sole Dragonfly owner to chime in. I own a Dragonfly and MSR Pocket Rocket (cannister) and think overall they noise level is not that big a difference, but then again I don't really pay attention much to that kind of thing. I don't know about the other stoves you listed, but the Dragonfly has a rather nice flame adjustability range, which is why part of the reason why I bought it. I wanted it for winter, yes, but also for those backpacking trips when I want to get fancy with dinner and cook something more "gourmet". My MSR Pocket ROcket is simply a lightweight blowtorch, which is fine when I just need water boiled, but bad when I want to actually cook something.

Brian

I disagree. SOME alcohol stoves, perhaps MOST even. But not ALL. I use an alcohol stove exclusively in all seasons. I would not call its efficiency nor time marginal. In fact it was superior to a whisperlight 2 weekends ago. It all depends on the design of the stove. My favorite is the Starlyte Stove and it works phenomenally in sub freezing weather.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Bring your stove this weekend I'd love to check it out.

Another Dragonfly advocate here, I love mine. MadRiver, as much as I've seen you cook, and such great gourmet meals, I'd seriously give the Dragonfly a look. It is infinitely heat adjustable, takes any fuel, and I've made corn in a 12 qt pot on the top with no problem.

Marks Gear Emporium and Coffee House
has a Dragonfly, Whisperlite (3 actually), cannister Whisperlite, Gigapower, Coleman 400A, Esbit (2 of them), and alcohol stove in stock if you'd like to give any (or all) of them a try before you buy one.

Last edited:
New Hampshire ... I'm in almost the same situation as you, except I have the Superfly instead of the Pocket Rocket. The Superfly has a really nice adjustable flame and a piezo starter, and makes an excellent complement to the Dragonfly. I can make big or fancy meals on it, no problem, even when backpacking; it simmers really well.

I've relegated the Dragonfly to the winter, because compared to the Superfly it's a loud honkin' jet engine, but I'll certainly pull it out if I take a trip anywhere that I think canisters might be unavailable or that I think will require me to use the Dragonfly's field-serviceability or repairability. And in winter the D can't be beat ... it can take a little work to prime it at –20° and get the burner warm, but I'm still very comfortable relying on it.

If quiet is your goal, then do NOT get an MSR XGK, which is a better winter stove than any Whisperlite. It's pretty loud as Tmax has one.. Could wake up the dead. :)

Jay

WHAT? NO WAY, MY XGK IS SUPER QUIET...IT'S SLIGHTLY LESS LOUD THAN A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION.

CAPS? NO, I'M JUST YELLING CAUSE I'M MAKING MYSELF A CUP OF COFFEE ON MY XGK AT THE MOMENT... ;-)

Seriously, as people here put it before I got my XGK: It's either at OFF or it's at "nuclear meltdown".

By the way, I lost my whisperlite in a kayak/camping trip...I bought the XGK because my whisperlite was frozen solid once and refused to light up. We were doing a hut to hut ski trip, so we just put it next to the fire so it could thaw a bit...I wouldn`t have wanted to be camping though.

Fish

Last edited:
Will do.

-------------------------

Nice stoves DT. So small, light, fast & quiet. WOW! It's a perfect complement to my simmerlite for a little hot water. I like it better than my penny stove. I can't believe one is made from a cat food can. I think we may have to start calling these the cheap man's stove. :D

Got any links for then that you can post?

I do have a dragonfly and used it at the first VFTT gathering and a couple of subsequent events. Its fairly noisy at full throttle, but is somewhat quieter turned down. Its an early model with the defective fuel pump that MSR wouldnt replace (they will gladly sell me a new and improved version pump for $40 plus shipping).

A lot of folks dont read the instructions to turn off the main fuel valve before shutting down the simmer valve, it makes lots of soot otherwise when shutting down.

Still works but I dont dare take it anywhere where I will have to depend on it. I have used it for car camping as the pot support is good for larger pots and overall is easier to cook with in cold weather.

I havent decided that when the pump "ears" fail completely if I will get a fireball out of the fuel tank or not.

With that said, the newer version is a good design and they seem to have cured the pump issue.

I bought a couple cans of cat food today. I'll get around to making stoves out of them as soon as I talk myself into eating the cat food.

I bought a couple cans of cat food today. I'll get around to making stoves out of them as soon as I talk myself into eating the cat food.

I hear it is a higher grade of meat than what is used at fast food joints. It might even taste better.

Hey Rick,
get a coleman peak one stove at REI for 64 bucks, or 52 at the next sale. I had my last one for 20 years. It's one piece, no hooking up a fuel bottle, and the thing is totally reliable, and about half or a third the price of those other stoves.