White gas stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I have used my MSR Superfly for 3 season hiking and have used it at Crag Camp in mid-February by stuffing the canister into my down bootie to keep it warm. However, I would like to buy a white gas stove to avoid the bootie issue and to ensure that once running the stove will not lose power, as it has done in the past. I have looked at the MSR white gas stoves like the Whisperlite International, Simmerlite, and Dragonfly. I have also looked at the Svea 123R, which I like for a variety of reasons. My main issue aside from performance, is noise. I realize this might sound odd, but noise is an issue with me. I am an early riser and all of my winter overnights have been in huts. If it is an AMC hut the issue is moot since I cannot light off my stove in a hut, so this just pertains to the RMC huts. I remember years ago I did a Pemi traverse with an acquaintance that lit off his Seva 123 at 5:00am and woke up the entire camp because it sounded like a 747 was coming in for a landing, and this is what I would like to avoid. I do not believe I should determine when people get up simply by making my coffee in the morning. So the question is, of all the stoves that I have mentioned, which one is the most quiet? Also, if you know of a stove that is good in winter and is quiet, and I have not mentioned it, please list.

Last edited:
I believe the Whisperlite is supposed to be quiet, or maybe more quiet. I have a small Coleman stove that is a bit bulky for backpacking, but it's pretty quiet. I don't believe any white gas stove can be as quiet as a canister, but I don't trust canisters in winter. I try to sleep a bit longer and then fire up the jet engines.:)

I believe the Whisperlite is supposed to be quiet, or maybe more quiet. I have a small Coleman stove that is a bit bulky for backpacking, but it's pretty quiet. I don't believe any white gas stove can be as quiet as a canister, but I don't trust canisters in winter. I try to sleep a bit longer and then fire up the jet engines.:)

I use the Whispterlite International. I wouldn't call it quiet by any means, especially when it first gets going (or maybe I just get used to the sound after awhile). I have compared it to other a few other stoves (the regular Whisperlite, and two Colman models), and it was a little louder than all of them. I'll be very curious to see where this thread goes, because I have yet to actually see (or hear) a "quiet" white gas stove!

If quiet is your goal, then do NOT get an MSR XGK, which is a better winter stove than any Whisperlite. It's pretty loud as Tmax has one.. Could wake up the dead. :)

Jay

I realize that “quiet” is a relative term. I do not expect a white gas to be nearly as quiet as a canister. I’m just looking for relative quiet to other white gas stoves. Performance is still the main criterion, quiet being secondary but still important.

Hey there MR,
I've been using a whisperlite Int. for many years and love it. It is the quietest you will get to do the job. I wouldn't bother with the Simmerlite, it doesn't really deliver much more for the price differential, IMO. All the rest are jet engines.

Steph:)

Hey there MR,
I've been using a whisperlite Int. for many years and love it. It is the quietest you will get to do the job. I wouldn't bother with the Simmerlite, it doesn't really deliver much more for the price differential, IMO. All the rest are jet engines.

Steph:)

Thanks Steph.

I use one of those Coleman 442 stoves. It uses white gas and is pretty quiet.

Carry a small alcohol stove for early morning coffee.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html

It weighs next to nothing and nothing is quieter. :)

Better yet, make one. If you don't like it toss it. They're cheap.

I carry one for day hikes just so I can have something warm to drink if I want and have my simmerlite for the heavy work.

I never used an alcohol stove, yet they have always seemed to be similar to a Sterno can, which would take forever to make coffee. So far it looks like the Whisperlite is winning.

How about a solid fuel tablet stove for the morning, like the Esbit or Coghlan's? It will generate enough heat to make hot water for instant oatmeal, cocoa, etc., and get you on your way pretty quickly. Then use the Svea (my preference over all the others mentioned here) or its ilk for everything else. The weight of a tablet stove and tablets isn't onerous in the context of winter gear. EDIT: The tablet stove also makes a nifty backup to a liquid fuel stove.

Alcohol stoves are marginal in the cold.

Doug

You can make a little primer cup with a few drops of alcohol along with a small piece of cardboard underneath for insulation in a sheltered place and a wind screen would work if your just boiling a cup of water for coffee.

Esbit? I haven't tried it but I bet the alchol stove is lighter. Try it you might like it.

Last edited:
I never used an alcohol stove, yet they have always seemed to be similar to a Sterno can, which would take forever to make coffee. So far it looks like the Whisperlite is winning.

Nothing like sterno. Been there done that. That's why I checked out the alcohol stove. It's much hotter. It can boil a cup of water before you have the white gass pumped up, primed and cranking.

If this is a new idea then google it and read about it. Better still find someone that uses one. It may be for you and it may not but it is silent for sure.

You can make a little primer cup with a few drops of alcohol along with a small piece of cardboard underneath for insulation in a sheltered place and a wind screen would work if your just boiling a cup of water for coffee.
That's why I use an MSR G (predecessor of the XGK) in winter. No fuss, no muss, no games, just lots of heat. And maybe a bit of noise, but it doesn't bother me.

Doug

A bit of useless trivia is that most of the European stoves and many of the loudest US built burners, use a resonant cavity burner to get the maximim efficiency out of the fuel. A similiar concept was used in World War 2 on the V-1 flying bomb (AKA the buzz bomb) that was used by the Germans to bomb british cities.

Next time you see a world war 2 movie that includes the blitz, take note of the sound of the V-1, it sounds darn close to a white gas stove at full blast.

Do note that that the MSR whisperlight or simmerlight does not use this design and are arguably less efficient, although neverthless loud.