White Mountain National Forest Open as of Tuesday 8/30/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or Hale via the Fire Wardens trail, then down Lend-a-Hand to the Twinway and out over the Twins back to your car! It is actually a very nice hike!

I thought of that approach were does the fire warden trail veer off from the north twin trail I never noticed it when I climbed the twins

About 1 mile from the start of the North Twin trail. at the first crossing do not cross the river - continue straight on the herd path (almost the defacto trail for many) and keep looking over your left shoulder.

If you go out to wikiloc.com you can search on it and find a gps track and map.

It's easy to walk by if you're not looking for it. In fact, I watched Bob & Geri walk right past it once, but only because Bob was in the middle of telling a story ;) It's not that hard to find if you are looking for it.

Tim

It's easy to walk by if you're not looking for it. In fact, I watched Bob & Geri walk right past it once, but only because Bob was in the middle of telling a story ;) It's not that hard to find if you are looking for it.

Tim

Its very hard to find when you think its after the last crossing :) I know right were you guys are talking about. Now I just need to find it from the road that goes past 7 dawrfs motel for winter acess to those lovely birch glades of mt hale cant wait to hit those up on a powder day!!

Might I suggest that people post references when quoting official announcements (or anyone else's pages in general)?

Doug

Yes, please do! For a second there, Michael, I thought you were now working for the Forest Service. Might I suggest if you're whole post is a quote that you either italicize the text or use the quote formatting.

What can I say - pasting from a pdf's a pita.

Hopefully there won't be much more to say. The ReadyNH site has posted to use NH511 for all further road updates. The WMNF site has both their forest road list and the updated-daily "Exhibit A" document, one can only hope that the two are consistent.

DougPaul said:
Might I suggest that people post references when quoting official announcements (or anyone else's pages in general)?
Yes, please do! For a second there, Michael, I thought you were now working for the Forest Service. Might I suggest if you're whole post is a quote that you either italicize the text or use the quote formatting.
Not only is the ref useful to readers, quoting without attribution brings up plagiarism and copyright issues. (While plagiarism and copyright might not be a problem for these emergency public announcements, attribution is still good practice.)

Doug

Indeed, Doug, I concur. And just to pile on Michael a little more (;)), by citing the source, we can verify its reliability.

Michael, I hope you've learned your lesson. Doug and I will be keeping a close eye on you. If this practice continues, we may have to report you to the authorities. :D

Sheesh, if you can't recognize a press release from the Forest Service then all is lost!

PS - the link to the page containing that press release was always included at the end of that post.

WTF??????

Now I am afraid to share the information I learned today because I can't post the link to a web page.

Anyways - ran into the assistant caretaker for Ethan Pond Shelter today and she told us the the Guyot Shelter, shich has never had bears, had a bear come while they were evacuated for storm, and tear things apart. Only damage that any of the huts/shelters had.

Sheesh, if you can't recognize a press release from the Forest Service then all is lost!

PS - the link to the page containing that press release was always included at the end of that post.

No good deed goes unpunished Michael

Anyways - ran into the assistant caretaker for Ethan Pond Shelter today and she told us the the Guyot Shelter, shich has never had bears, had a bear come while they were evacuated for storm, and tear things apart. Only damage that any of the huts/shelters had.

Did the caretaker mention whether food or gear was left behind during the evacuation?

I was going to let you off the hook about here... :)

It was clear to me that it was a copy of an official press release, but not exactly who it was from.

The comments about copyright etc apply to all copying of other material into posts. Quoting/copying without attribution is, unfortunately, very common on the net.

Thanks for passing the info onward.

Doug

The comments about copyright etc apply to all copying of other material into posts. Quoting/copying without attribution is, unfortunately, very common on the net.

Also Michael J -- and I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned this yet -- APA format is required. Thanks.

A Twitter friend of mine stayed there just before the storm evacuations -- a bear came and wandered about the tent sites during the early evening. Caretaker made an impromptu bear box. This was just a few days after Sage and I stayed there.

No good deed goes unpunished Michael

And the trend towards "disclaimer" tag lines continues...

Just my 0.02:

With all due respect, Doug Paul and Teo -- IMHO it's one thing if its a new member posting -- quite different if it's members who have been a member in good standing for years....some folks are up in the North country now with PDAs trying to keep the thread updated -- asking for links an references of these people is a bit much --- this isn't a peer reviewed research paper--so why all the splitting of hairs?? Plagiarism? Copyright infringement? Pu-lease!

Bobngeri- please keep the information coming!

Last edited:
Copyright infringement? Pu-lease!
Wake up!

By international law (the Berne Convention, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works), everything that you write is copyrighted. Unless you have permission, you are violating copyright laws when you copy another person's writings. (There are some specific exceptions.)

This has been discussed in a previous thread: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14184

Doug