White Mountains hiking???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco7

Reaction score
I'm taking a camping trip this weekend to the White Mountains and I have a day hike narrowed down to a few. Does anyone have any suggestions, favorites, or trail conditions for the hikes listed here?...

1. Mt. Jefferson via Caps Ridge
2. Mt. Eisenhower via Edmonds Path
3. Tuckerman Ravine

Thanks,
Josh

3 winners for sure! All will likely be a bit crowded on a summer weekend day. Tuckerman's is the best choice if the weather is less than perfect (unless you are continuing to the summit). It is a nice hike even if you do not summit.

All 3 of these trails are in excellent shape as they are heavily travelled trails on the Presis. I like Edmands Path most of that trio.

There are many other options in that area, too numerous to mention. Ammonoosuc Ravine to Crawford descending Edmands is another one to consider. Try Mohamed's Site for a lot of details on route selection for the Whites.

Enjoy!

Ike by Edmands, easiest, I'd add Pierce too
Tuckerman's busiest, in poor conitions on the summit allows for a hike to bowl of Tuckermans, the best 1/2 hike of the three planned.
Jefferson, while shortest, IMO harder than your route up Edmands & most exposed to western or NW winds. View from the top with Great Gulf Headwall & Washington in one direction & Adams in the other may be best. Don't consider the loop with Castle & Link Trail unless you like side hills covered with roots. (the link trail in that section) I've yet to hear anyone speak favorably about that section.

Ammonusuc is nice, Gem Pool, The Gorge, lots of ledges and Diapensia in bloom too. I was there Saturday afternoon, LOTS of people, barely any room in the lot to park.

Sherpa's idea to go to Eisenhower and down Edmunds is a good one. I went up Washington and then to Clay and down Jewell. Plan on seeing several hundred people on this route. I'm always amazed that on Washington when there is absolutely no visibility (15-25 ft) that that place is always mobbed.

I would add about Jefferson, that if you find your way down to Edmands Col and decide that you don't want to climb back over Jefferson, to reconsider.

The Cornice trail is not a shortcut! It really sucks!

Caps Ridge Trail

Is the Caps Ridge route very rugged?
How much scrambling is there?

Thanks for the input!

Josh

I was a little aprehensive about tackling the Caps but really enjoyed it. My hiking pal, Karen, had a few choice words on the day but refused to give up and pushed on to summit Jefferson and return the same way. It was a wet, windy and cloudbound day but both she and I found the descent less troublesome than going up.

It may be the shortest route to a Presidential peak but it is pretty rugged. Lots of rock hopping above the caps. I've been told the views are great... been there twice in the last couple of months and saw nothing but the inside of clouds both times :)

I also did the loop across the Link, up the Castles, Jefferson Summit and down the Caps. Wouldn't be *as* bad on a dry day but the Link is pretty nasty towards the Castles end.

Bob

Thanx a lot Dave. I had no plans on going to New Hampshire this year... but now want to leave work immediately and climb the Caps. This will be a productive day.:D This will continue to get under my skin until I schedule a weekend to drive out there... maybe I'll add Huntington Ravine as well.

Great Pictures Dave! Caps Ridge is the only trail I haven't been on in that area, I don't know how I missed it....thanks for the advertisement.

The nice part about Caps Ridge is that the toughest climbing is down low once you have left the woods. It gets easier as you go up, but that lower section does tend to turn around the totally unequipped or inept.

For some reason, people tend to take a wrong turn down at the base of the summit cone occasionally and head over towards Clay. It is signed well but fro some reason it happens frequently.

maybe I'll add Huntington Ravine as well.
Good idea, Rico ...... you'll love it.
One of my favorite hikes is Huntington Ravine, across the Alpine Garden, and down Lion's Head.