White Mountains Server is going away

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After 11 years, it's time to move on. I've been hosting my website through the help of friends in high places in the Computer Science department up there and I'm using up quite a bit of their bandwidth. You'll also notice that the site hasn't been updated since Nov 2004. Due to limitations and security, it's fairly burdensome to update the site remotely, and it just hasn't really been worth the trouble.

So, my little home on the web is going away. It's been a good run and I've had a great time with the site. From something I started in 1994 to learn HTML it turned into a great chance to give back to the New England hiking community.

No worries, the site is moving to a new location with some changes and some new features. Please welcome Hike The Whites and take a look around. Things haven't changed much yet, but I can now make changes in real time so expect steady improvements as time goes on.

The seasons change, life goes on, bookmarks are updated.

-dave-

I try not to get sentimental about this type of stuff. However, I've been hiking for a lot less time than people think. Your site was the first I bumped into (long before VFTT) and I learned a lot about the mountains of NH and beyond. Thanks.

-Dr. Wu

It looks familiar to me!

You really had me going there. My heart skipped a beat!

Most seriously, thanks, Dave, for a great site. I've enjoyed it for a long time, and have often used it for trip planning as well as just entertainment. I hope the White Mountain Server isn't going away, it just has a new home. I'll keep tuned in!

Thanks! :D

Dave,

I have always found the White Mountain Server to be a great resource for hiking and sking in the Whites. It looks like its just moving and evolving. We all thank you for this helpful site for information and entertainment.

This will have to be a family wide bookmark update. Your page is a staple in this household. My kids like it better than Sponge Bob. :cool:
Thanks for the great work.
Bob

Wow, that stinks! I used to love reading your trip reports when I was doing the 48. Thanks for keeping it up so long and sharing with us your stories!

Thank You!

Ditto! Until about 4 years ago I only hiked one trail (repeatedly) in the Whites, due to the fact that the trailhead was right where i stay. Then one day i was surfing the web and came across your brand new article on "risk." Not only did it capture many of my own inner feelings but it involved the very same trail i always hiked! Anyhoo, i scanned the rest of your site, got more of a level of comfort and decided to give other trails a try. From there i met a very special new friend and for that and everything else new i experienced i am truly grateful. Now maybe someday i will get to the meet the "ledge" himself!!! :D :D :D

dr_wu002 said:
I try not to get sentimental about this type of stuff. However, I've been hiking for a lot less time than people think. Your site was the first I bumped into (long before VFTT) and I learned a lot about the mountains of NH and beyond. Thanks.

-Dr. Wu

I second that.

Thanks!

Dave,

While a long time hiker in the Adirondacks, your site inspired me to explore the mountains closer to home. My first hike to Franconia Ridge was planned primarily using your trip reports and photo journals. I still pull up your site if I am heading to a new summit. It's been a valuable source of information and enjoyment.

So how can we make sure a Google search for "White Mountains Server" brings up your new site as a primary hit?

You had me worried for a minute Dave! I dare say your website contains the most comprehensive collection of information on the Whites than any other site or guide available. To lose such a resource would be a shame. Thank you for preserving this treasure we all take for granted.

Matt

Add my name to the very long list of folks who have benefited from your site, Dave. Like many others, it was the first White Mt. website I found and the info you posted guided me to new places, alerted me to issues (removed shelters, for example) and generally got me up and out more often. Thank you!

Glad your sticking around Dave. I've gotten helpful information from your site. In particular I like your Suggested Hikes page. As someone who works in the I.T. field I also appreciate the overall design of your site. Again, I'm glad you're sticking around.

Last edited:
Glad you are just moving!

I almost had to give you a red square until I realized you were just moving the server. :D Much like Wu - I have not been hiking seriously for all that long - your site was also the first place I stumbled upon and I still go there a lot to learn about various peaks and to find pics of some daunting place I want to go to...it gives me an idea in advance just how scared I should be!! You are a wealth of information to all of us and you never seem to tire of answering a question for someone new to hiking.

Glad you have a new home - I am changing my bookmark!

Whew, that title was scary wasn't it? Thanks, Dave for maintaining all of the info you've put together, and giving the site a fresh new look. Even though I, like many others, first visited your site many years ago, I still use it for reference and I particulary enjoy your trip reports. It's too bad you haven't been hiking since Nov 2004 ;)

Sorry for the scary subject line, it was late at night when I composed that line. HTW will be all the White Mountain Server was, and hopefully more. I do worry about all that accumulated Google-fu that put me on the top of the search results, but I'll somehow muddle through. :)

I've got several new trip reports in the works, and they'll show up much more quickly. I'm also going to remove a bunch of older trip reports that have been superseded by new ones that cover the same trails in better detail.

Thanks again, I hope to keep this going for a long, long time.

-dave-

Glad to see it's only moving. I don't hike the Whites very often, but when I do, there is only 2 places I rely on for "the real skinny". VFTT and.............

Well, you don't need me to tell you the other one ;)

Thanks, you provide an invaluable service to Hikers far and near.

David Metsky said:
I do worry about all that accumulated Google-fu that put me on the top of the search results, but I'll somehow muddle through. :)

One way google raises your stock is if people link to you. So people, if you have a web page, start linking!

Dave, if you email them, they might even have a recommended procedure for moving a site.

My brother runs a web-based business, and he learned the hard way what to do and what not to do!