white mtn snowcover update?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Anyone out there care to give a brief snowcover update where they've been?
In particular I'm wondering about the southern Whites:
Mt Tecumseh
Mt Chocorua
Mt Passaconaway
Mt Whiteface
Welch/Dickey
the Moats
also Tom/Field/Willey area in Crawford Notch (which I assume still has snow)

Passaconaway and whiteface both have snow about 3200 feet.

Tom and Field both have about 1-2 feet of snow starting at 2900' from the A-Z Trail on the Zealand side.

I climbed them yesterday and posted a trail conditions report Here

Twinway has plenty of snow as well.... same with South Twin over to North Twin. Bonds looked pretty packed in as well still

think small

After turning back trying to bareboot Field 2 weeks ago, I've been hiking the "smaller" mts since then -- Crawford, Moats, Monadnock, (Chocura next) and none of them have snow. If you're waiting for the snow to melt on the 4Ks before hiking, I'd bet you have about 3 more weeks to go. But right now there's a lot of great "warm up" hikes on the smaller mountains. No need to stay indoors.

thanks,
denton fabrics

isolation has snow intermittently from 2750 up to 3090, just none on summit. plenty of postholing to be had. was thankful to have the snow yesterday, when we were miserably lost on the davis path, so we could reverse any routefinding errors hansel and grettel style.

yesterday Tecumseh had scattered long sections of shallow icy snow, off and on, from about 3000' to the summit, but nothing that couldn't be avoided or navigated w/ care, with the exception of the last 200' or so of the eastern end of the summit loop, and various sections of the Sosman Trail. (which is a poorly maintained trail as it approaches the ski lift. Ski area is an awful source of trash & cigarettes, and it looks like they are losing large patches of soil to erosion in some areas while trying to keep the ski trails clear of brush.)

I have been posting trail (and snow) conditions for my hikes on the NH Trail Conditions page lately, as have many others, so that might the best place to look for the most up-to-date info.

Where is that cairn that you have a pix for??