Whites and ADKs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestgnome said:
Can anyone recommend some places to hike and camp away from tree-line peaks and vistas? Thanks

Happy Trails :)

Would you consider non-mountains? The entire park is absolutely gorgeous. Try backpacking into Duck Hole and you'll be hooked on the lakes and a new perspective on the peaks. Or do as I did and take your canoe in there for a view of the peaks from the lakes like none you've ever seen before.

I hike and canoe camp all over the park and didn't go hiking in the high peaks until about 10 or 12 years ago. The peaks are just a small portion of the park. You're really missing the true Adirondacks if you don't explore the rest. Each area is different, each area has its own beauty.

My time in the high peaks is minor compared to the rest of the park. There is so much to explore and so much beauty to be enjoyed.

From what direction would you be coming from? I'm sure I, and many others, can steer you towards some great non-high peak hikes.

Like Peakbaggr and some others, I've also spent a lot of time in both areas, and there's a consensus on many items re: the ADKs and Whites.

As one whose experience was mostly in the Whites before the ADKs, these were my impressions of the ADK's:

- The trails often have long, flatish approaches and then are often rough and steep. Overall, much more physically demanding.

- While the geographical area of both is about the same (am counting the High Peaks only here), there only only a handful of trailheads, leading to long, flatish approaches.

- Much more bio-diversity in the ADKs. Lots more snow also. Very little above treeline areas.

- Lots of regulations - sign in/sign out, trail registers, wearing permits, on and on ... seemed repetitious.

- Lots of "No Trepassing" signs surround some of the approaches as the trail passes thru corridors. Also around some trail heads, like the Garden and AMR.

- Overall, much less crowded, even on weekends, EXCEPT for Marcy Dam - that place is wicked awful on a weekend! Buzz thru it and consider it a necessary evil, sorta like the Cog. Also has the stench of too many people in too small an area (like Lakes).

- Trail signs are often high in the air - if you're flying along and not familiar with the trails, keep a sharp eye out. It's easy to buzz by one and not realize it for a mile or two.

- Trail designations are quite different than anywhere I've hiked in the US - it's a series of colored disks, and on some trails they're few and far between. Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've figured it out it's consistent.

Enjoy the ADKs - they're beautiful, and have their own special qualities.

BorealChickadee said:
Would you consider non-mountains? The entire park is absolutely gorgeous. Try backpacking into Duck Hole and you'll be hooked on the lakes and a new perspective on the peaks. Or do as I did and take your canoe in there for a view of the peaks from the lakes like none you've ever seen before.

I hike and canoe camp all over the park and didn't go hiking in the high peaks until about 10 or 12 years ago. The peaks are just a small portion of the park. You're really missing the true Adirondacks if you don't explore the rest. Each area is different, each area has its own beauty.

My time in the high peaks is minor compared to the rest of the park. There is so much to explore and so much beauty to be enjoyed.

From what direction would you be coming from? I'm sure I, and many others, can steer you towards some great non-high peak hikes.

Definately interested in non-mountain hikes. I just like hiking in the forest, especially places like you've described. Duck Hole sounds nice. A canoe/camping/hiking trip of a few days around an area with lakes and bogs would be ideal. It might not happen this summer, but I hope so.

forestgnome said:
I just received a comp. copy of the new "Adirondack Alpine Summits, An Ecological Field Guide", by Slack and Bell (I contributed the photo of the black bear) It's a great guide that fits in the pack and looks to be well-suited for the White Mtns. as well.

DSettahr makes great points about the areas other than the High Peaks. Can anyone recommend some places to hike and camp away from tree-line peaks and vistas? Thanks

I intend to buy that book soon as well-thanks for the reminder. As for recommendations-perhaps try the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area, since it's just across the NY-VT border and you would be coming from the east. Great place for hiking and paddling as well. Some smaller, but great mountains there (Pharoah, Treadway), lots of ponds, beautiful forest. Less crowded than the High Peaks, and probably a better chance of seeing wildlife. Last summer I saw loons, herons, mergansers, and a beaver, complete w/ lodge. There are many areas in the Pharoah in various stages of beaver flood and recovery.

There is a good trail system in the Pharoah, but it also lends itself to off-trail travel. Just an all-around nice area. Two caveats-1)the one area that can be crowded and/or noisy is Putnam Pond State Campground, which is one access point. Pretty easy to get away from the crowds quickly though. 2)Bring bug dope! Being around Adirondack ponds in high summer bug season can result in loss of several pints of blood, and possibly mental illness. I seldom use DEET, but I had to in the Pharoah, or else I would have had to retreat.

Matt

Last edited:
Mark S said:
... and don't forget the Catskills, an entirely different and righteous range in its own right.

(Edit - Una dogger beat me to it by a minute.)

Shhhhhhhhh.... That's enough about the Catskills, move along. ;)

Jay

I should have also added that in the Central Adirondacks,the Indian Lake area has some beautiful lakes, streams, ponds and mountains. You can reserve campsites on the islands on Indian lake. Sandy bottom beaches everywhere you beach your canoe.

The Lake George area in the southern ADKs is fantastic. Open woods, lots of small lakes and ponds.
And of course there is great hiking: Crane Mt, Tongue Mt, Black Mt, Buck Mt, Pilot Knob, etc.

Forestnome- I sent you a PM with ideas. Actually two PMs since it was 855 characters too long! I didn't want to take the original thread too off toopic.

Ok..from my experience.

-First thing, Fishing is better in the White Mountains because the acidity in the Adirondacks has killed most of the trout ponds. It is actually quite sad, and there used to be some amazing trout ponds. There are still some, but most are in critical condition. Most of the trout ponds are in very good shape and have some huge brook trout.

-There are quite a few more moose in the Whites the NY, but I have also heard of all the bear problems in NY. In the Whites I see a lot of wildlife getting off trail away from peaks into ponds and bogs like beaver, many moose, bear, deer, bobcat, and many more. I think the reason people do not see wildlife in the Whites is because they hike popular trails up peaks. You have to get away from that to see more, and I think the same goes for the Adirondacks.

- The Adirondacks and Whites are both very rugged. They are made from very tough ancient rock that has held up remarkably well. Because of that the trails are littered with boulders and are steep. I think Whites are more rugged, but because of the very good design and maintenence of the trail network it has made them easier then NY.

-The Adirondacks are HUGE they they have more wild areas then the Whites, but for any bushwhacker who sneaks into the eastern Pemi or Sandwhich Range in the Whites will find amazing wilderness like places where even trails are far away. I think feeling wild in the Whites is somewhat taken away from major roads so close by to large roadless areas..rather then driving in on an endless logging road where the feeling is achieved early on.

- The Whites are closer to major cities..so that is there biggest downfall. Both places are very very different and both very beautiful.

-Mattl