whites and kancamangus Hwy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breeze suggested skipping the North Conway scene altogether by cutting from the Kanc to 302 on Bear Notch Rd. I've never been through that way, don't know if it's paved or rutted, but it makes sense if the traffic is bad and you don't want to shop or eat while out there. Crawford Notch has great views coming north and of the Pressies above Mt Washington Resort east. I honestly don't think I've ever driven all the way north through Pinkham Notch from Conway, so can't vouch for those views.

yes sir, I was using his info cutting it off...its a play by time thing right as Ill have 6-7 hours back home too..:D thanks all..:)

I honestly don't think I've ever driven all the way north through Pinkham Notch from Conway, so can't vouch for those views.

Rt. 16 from 302 to Gorham makes for amazing views on a clear day. Worth a stop, as well, at Pinkham Notch for a quick hike - hour and a half or so - to Glen Ellis falls just off the A.T. and to the Crystal Cascade just west of PNVC on the mighty Tuckerman Ravine Trail. The views up to Boott Spur, Washington and Huntington's Ravine from the pedestrian bridge and nearby at P.N. are very nice, and a pull off down near the auto road's base makes for nice views up to Nelson Crag, Madison and Adams.

Viewseeker, I strongly recommend that, in your driving, you take Rt. 2 west of Gorham, preferably eastbound. Easily reached from Twin Mtn - check your maps. The view of the Presi's, Franconia Ridge and everything in between from the small town of Jefferson is awesome, and the views of the Presi's get even better as you head east, and there are also nice views of the northern 4Ks - Cabot and Waumbek and the Pliny and Pilot Ranges.

The Kanc and 302 are wondrous, but that northern drive in the Rt. 2 corridor is also not to be missed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Rt. 16 from 302 to Gorham makes for amazing views on a clear day. Worth a stop, as well, at Pinkham Notch for a quick hike - hour and a half or so - to Glen Ellis falls just off the A.T. and to the Crystal Cascade just west of PNVC on the mighty Tuckerman Ravine Trail. The views up to Boott Spur, Washington and Huntington's Ravine from the pedestrian bridge and nearby at P.N. are very nice, and a pull off down near the auto road's base makes for nice views up to Nelson Crag, Madison and Adams.

Viewseeker, I strongly recommend that, in your driving, you take Rt. 2 west of Gorham, preferably eastbound. Easily reached from Twin Mtn - check your maps. The view of the Presi's, Franconia Ridge and everything in between from the small town of Jefferson is awesome, and the views of the Presi's get even better as you head east, and there are also nice views of the northern 4Ks - Cabot and Waumbek the the Pliny and Pilot Ranges.

The Kanc and 302 are wondrous, but that northern drive in the Rt. 2 corridor is also not to be missed.

Enjoy!

There is a great view of the presidential range from 115A right near downtown Jefferson from a large field at a farm.

Waumbek6660-M.jpg

There is a great view of the presidential range from 115A right near downtown Jefferson from a large field at a farm.

Waumbek6660-M.jpg

That, generally speaking, is the view I'm talking about. And the immensity of the Presidential Range, in 3D and in person, of course magnifies what the above nice picture captures 1000-fold. The north slopes of the northern Presi's, also, which Rt. 2 passes right by, should be a festival of color by that time, approaching peak. I'm hoping to be up in the Whites this weekend myself, Viewseeker, so as I'm recommending these drives to you, I'm reminding myself to follow my own recommendation. :)

That, generally speaking, is the view I'm talking about. And the immensity of the Presidential Range, in 3D and in person, of course magnifies what the above nice picture captures 1000-fold. The north slopes of the northern Presi's, also, which Rt. 2 passes right by, should be a festival of color by that time, approaching peak. I'm hoping to be up in the Whites this weekend myself, Viewseeker, so as I'm recommending these drives to you, I'm reminding myself to follow my own recommendation. :)

Hopefully you take your own advice...:) that picture is amazing, I cant wait..:D

My trees in Gorham are just not that bright so far, they have color but its not intense and there is a lot of green leaves.

I would definitely opt for a northern Route. The drive in from RT 3 to Twin Mountain has the best "longviews" of the western slopes of the presidentials. From Twin Mountain take RT 3 north to Rt 115 and keep and eye out for 115 A which has the view in the photo. At Rt 2 go east to Gorham then Rt 16 South. In bartlett go west on RT 302 (right turn). Depending on where you are staying you can turn left on Bear Notch road (paved) to Kancamagus highway or keep going up Crawford Notch whichdrvies you past the Mt Washington hotel.

For the more adventurous take a drive up to Berlin on Rt 16, drive up Rt 16 to Errol along the river, then take a left onto Rt 26 west in Errol and get ready for Dixville Notch. After you have gotten over the infamous exit from the Notch, then drive to Colebrook and then south on Rt 3 to Lancaster. Depending on where you are staying you could add in RT 2.

downtown Jefferson

Hey, that's a good one, 'downtown Jefferson".

This is a Jefferson-raised kid talkin here. I would personally suggest Valley Road, take it all the way to Randolph. There is an even better Presi view down the road at the farm house just past the "Pines".

IMHO, Rt 2 doesn't get enough credit for foliage drives.

My trees in Gorham are just not that bright so far, they have color but its not intense and there is a lot of green leaves.

I would definitely opt for a northern Route. The drive in from RT 3 to Twin Mountain has the best "longviews" of the western slopes of the presidentials. From Twin Mountain take RT 3 north to Rt 115 and keep and eye out for 115 A which has the view in the photo. At Rt 2 go east to Gorham then Rt 16 South. ...

I agree with your routing, PB, but I very highly recommend a small left-turn diversion to Jefferson for the great view that fine hamlet's "dowtown" affords towards F Ridge and Cannon, plus everything between them and the Presidentials. Probably three miles round-trip out of the way, but entirely worthwhile.

Looks like if things go to plan, I'll be attempting something new this weekend: bagging 4K peaks on successive days, Carrigain on Saturday and, if the legs are up to it, Moosilauke sobo traverse on Sunday. I will definitely be wiped by Sunday evening! On July 21-22, I did Mt. Pemi on Sat on very little rest and, after a good night's sleep Sat, hiked Washington via Tuck's and down via Lion Head, so I think I can pull off this planned weekend. Nice thing about Moosilauke is that I'll be fresh for the very difficult part, and once I get to about 4K elevation, the rest of the trip s/b pretty mellow, with the standard provisos about the weather, which for now is forecast to be nice Sat, nicer Sun. Fingers crossed on that.

It'll be a second trip up the Sentinel of the Southwest when I might rather be adding to my list by doing the Northern Presi's, but I hope to get up and grab them maybe Columbus Day weekend. We'll see. And I'm psyched at the prospect of ascending Beaver Brook. Have wanted to see that amazing trail for a long time - got a nice look up at one of the falls on the drive up to Franconia Ridge 9/9. Tantalizing.

Last edited:

Yeah, but the colors are starting to come in down here at a pretty good clip, so I figured that by this next weekend there should be a pretty good display up in your neighborhood, approaching peak but not yet there - a week or two off.

For those who have time, I like your recommendation of heading even further north. No doubt the roadways will be a lot less crowded north of Rt. 2 vs. southward. 302 and 112 should be very slow. Might be nice to sneak out on one or the other right at dawn to beat the crowds. I'll be doing a version of that on both of them for my two hikes - early start, especially Sat., to allow plenty of time for a long hike.

Most likely here http://www.woodstockinnnh.com/

Head south on the parkway until it changes to I 93, then take the North Lincoln exit and take Rt 3 south to Woodstock, the Inn is on the right a few miles down the road. You can also go to the next exit south (south lincoln Woodstock) and take a right and follow the road to the traffic light in Woodstock and turn right.

With a forecast like the current one, the best shot for clearing is head north as the weather is coastal. Lot to be said to driving up to Colebrook, crossing the bridge into VT and climbing the firewardens trail up Vt Monadnock (4 or 5 hours) , then heading down RT 26 and stopping by the Balsams to climb up Table Rock (1 hour) (the trailhead is on the rightside across from the hotel) and then taking Rt 16 south to Berlin in Errol. Stop by at the Northland Dairy Bar in Belrin for an early supper and then head back to the campground.

With a forecast like the current one, the best shot for clearing is head north as the weather is coastal.

Thanks for sharing this insight, peakbagger. I am shifting plans from the Whites to the Greens this weekend. Probably going to visit Mansfield or Camel's Hump on Sunday. Forecast is more promising for north central VT than for north central NH.

Last edited:
This seems to be typical for leaf season, usually we get a wet front that moves in on the peak weekend. Every forecast in the region agrees that its going to be wet cold weekend in the whites. The VT forecast said that if you want to go hiking hit the adirondacks. I think Sunday might be okay in northern NH but I would be hard pressed to encourage someone to drive 7 hours.

This seems to be typical for leaf season, usually we get a wet front that moves in on the peak weekend. Every forecast in the region agrees that its going to be wet cold weekend in the whites. The VT forecast said that if you want to go hiking hit the adirondacks. I think Sunday might be okay in northern NH but I would be hard pressed to encourage someone to drive 7 hours.

I'm hoping for better weather Columbus Day weekend. A nice thing about it would be that two 4K hikes in a three-day weekend allows for more recovery time before the work week. If the weather's good, a northern Presidential visit might be in order. Will be nice to visit the north central Greens this Sunday - new countryside. :)

It was wet and cold, didnt get in the hike But did visit Aunt Pollys which is awesome, long wait thought..1.5hrs .... drove the Loop , Kac trees are Peaking full seem, eastern side little less, Crawford Notch not quite peak , north, same and coming back into the Fran notch Full peak... alot of site seeing, ate ate the woodstockinn which was great, we made the best of it, sunday was the worst weather..also drove back thru VT to hit another Pub, Probation Pig, good beer but food was not anything to brag over, least the wings and the $5.00 heated pork rinds outta a bag.:mad:

Another trip will be planned, was nice seeing what the whites have to offer..:D