whites and kancamangus Hwy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Im hoping to take a nice drive and be a leaf Peeper on 9-29......Drive the loop of kancamangus Hwy(rt 112) and around rt 3...Can anyone suggest a trip including my drive from syracuse to here, route, camping spots for friday and sat., maybe a Peak to climb or sites to see...any pancake places I should not drive by ...:D

How many hours will this Loop take and will i have time to Drive and hike???

Second, Are the leaves Ready by then IYO????

Thanks All..

I just drove the whole length of the state this weekend. Foliage is just starting to turn for pretty much the whole length. The further north the brighter at the moment (drier this summer in the south than north). That date range should put you in the middle to end of the best part of the foliage I would imagine.

Im hoping to take a nice drive and be a leaf Peeper on 9-29......Drive the loop of kancamangus Hwy(rt 112) and around rt 3...Can anyone suggest a trip including my drive from syracuse to here, route, camping spots for friday and sat., maybe a Peak to climb or sites to see...any pancake places I should not drive by ...:D

How many hours will this Loop take and will i have time to Drive and hike???

Second, Are the leaves Ready by then IYO????

Thanks All..

For pancakes and a great breakfast, I really enjoyed Flippin' Jacks on the Kanc in Lincoln this June and will be back. It's on the north (left) side near town hall and not far from McDonald's, maybe half a mile east of I-93. They have a fun train-set inside which circles the two rooms - kids of all ages love it.

There's more camping sites than you can shake a stick at. A free one which I liked was Franconia East, about 2.8 fairly level miles up the East Branch of the Pemi River from Lincoln Woods trailhead. An easy hour or so hike in and out. It's on the edge of the Pemi Wilderness and close to Black Pond and Franconia Falls - the ford across the river to get to them can be tricky and crocs would come in handy.

As for nice foliage viewing hikes, I'd think the Old Bridle Path up to Lafayette, stopping at the hut and ascending from there by Greenleaf would be spectacular. Several very nice overlooks along the crest of Agony Ridge viewing the Walker Brook Ravine and western slope of Franconia Ridge and, once you get above the hut, grand views across to Cannon, the Kinsmans and down the Notch to Moosilauke. Of course the view from atop the ridge is legendary. From Lafayette, if you want, traversing over Lincoln to Falling Waters Trail at Little Haystack summit and then descending along the falls and Shining Rock, taking particular care with the often wet, scrambly descent next to Cloudland Falls, is very nice. You'll have a lot of traffic to contend with on a pretty day, but with good reason. It's amazing, and I think the leaf-peeping must be about as good as it gets.

One thing to keep in mind - you probably already are aware of this, but leaf-peeping traffic is awfully slow. I don't know what it's like in the Whites, but I imagine it's similar to Vermont. You can't expect to get anywhere very fast. On a quiet summer day, this past July, it took me about 45 minutes from Conway to Lincoln - double that wouldn't surprise me for late September. It's a very pretty drive in the summer, breathtaking, I imagine, at the height of foliage season.

One thing to keep in mind - you probably already are aware of this, but leaf-peeping traffic is awfully slow. I don't know what it's like in the Whites, but I imagine it's similar to Vermont. You can't expect to get anywhere very fast. On a quiet summer day, this past July, it took me about 45 minutes from Conway to Lincoln - double that wouldn't surprise me for late September. It's a very pretty drive in the summer, breathtaking, I imagine, at the height of foliage season.

I assume your route is 112, 16, 302, 3 and it is very busy on a nice day during foliage season. I expect that doing it clockwise might be advantageous as the biggest crowds are apt to be coming up I-93 and onto the Kanc ... I've seen traffic backed up just getting off I-93 in Lincoln/Woodstock. Rt. 16 through Conway and North Conway can be an unrewarding bottleneck so a combination of West Side Road (intersects with rt. 302) and Passaconaway Road (intersects with 112 at the Albany covered bridge) would be a preferable bypass.

Sorry, no estimate of how long it'll take (my road trips are measured by calendar, not clock) but figure on half the posted speed plus time for gawking at pullouts and walks to some vistas and it'll give you a rough approximation. Here's a list of relatively short walks/hikes for views and photographs along that clockwise route:

Echo Lake and Artists Bluff (rt. 3/18 intersection)
Mt. Willard Crawford Notch (rt. 302)
Cathedral Ledge (Westside Road)
Boulder Loop (Passaconaway Road near covered bridge)
Church Pond Loop (rt. 112) not a busy trail, opportunity to spot moose if they haven't retreated into hiding from leaf peepers

If you find youself falling behind schedule, you can take Bear Notch Road between rt. 302 Bartlett and the Kanc. That could also leave you more time to hike something longer.

Remember that opening day of the Fryeburg Fair is 9/30.

This may seem trivial to some, but Friday the 28th and Saturday the 29th you will likely find a high load of Motor Homes, Livestock trailers, towed camper-trailers and a heap of traffic moving through the Conway area towards Fryeburg Maine.

This is in addition to the leaf peepers.

302 and 16 would be the major routes affected, so DEFINITELY check out the " back roads" available to stay out of the worst bottle necks.

If you are heading east on 112 from Lincoln, I would DEFINITELY plan on bailing off the Kanc on the Bear Notch Rd and looping back west on 302 from Bartlett towards Bretton Woods/Twin Mountain. That would spare you from the bumper to bumper standstill you would undoubtedly find where 112 ends at the intersection with 16.

Stay west of Conway, for sure. There is some gorgeous country out there...

Breeze

During the last few years of leaf-peeping on the Kanc, I've seen the "peak" time vary a bit from year to year, so the main factor I watch is the variation of peak colors by elevation. By mid-October the leaves have sometimes fallen from the higher elevations, but not so much the valleys.

The Kanc is a wonderful leaf peeping area, with the caveats of major traffic at both ends in high tourist seasons. I try to do any driving through those areas in morning or after sundown. For that reason I'll be going out after Columbus Day--the traffic really seems to drop off after that date, and it's on the 8th this year--fairly early. I've sat at a standstill in Lincoln more than once, taking over a half hour to creep through town during the day to get from Woodstock to the Kanc..ugh.

Ditto on Bear Notch Road being both a great view area and shortcut north. The notches are absolutely spectacular when caught during peak foliage, and as far as hiking--that's really a personal choice as there's just so many to choose from. Avalon comes to mind, Tremont and Owl's Cliff have cool views.

Have fun--it's beautiful and worth the trip!:)

I assume your route is 112, 16, 302, 3 and it is very busy on a nice day during foliage season. I expect that doing it clockwise might be advantageous as the biggest crowds are apt to be coming up I-93 and onto the Kanc ... I've seen traffic backed up just getting off I-93 in Lincoln/Woodstock. Rt. 16 through Conway and North Conway can be an unrewarding bottleneck so a combination of West Side Road (intersects with rt. 302) and Passaconaway Road (intersects with 112 at the Albany covered bridge) would be a preferable bypass.

Lots of good info here. We should publish a FAQs for leafers. Maybe it's just the way I'm oriented there, but I'd skip the back roads getting to NH from NY, come straight out 90 and up 91 and do the loop clockwise starting from Franconia or Bethlehem. North Conway is always a parking lot, so that's just part of the deal. I guess you'll need to decide on Crawford or Pinkham Notch, though you could do an "S" and get all 3 notches depending on where you enter and exit. This drive could easily take all day. I like Bald Mtn across from Cannon parking for a quick hike with high payoff.

Last edited:
you all nailed my route and info needed.... so sounds like one day should bve set to hike, sat, then early start and circumnavigate this route having plenty of time to looksee and get headed West before to late in the day...staying at Layfayette campground seems to be best unless theres a car camping spot on friday night to pull into since be getting in late fromthe drive in....

you all nailed my route and info needed.... so sounds like one day should bve set to hike, sat, then early start and circumnavigate this route having plenty of time to looksee and get headed West before to late in the day...staying at Layfayette campground seems to be best unless theres a car camping spot on friday night to pull into since be getting in late fromthe drive in....

The problems I can foresee with camping are being unable to get a reservation and bad weather. If you need a hostel as bailout option, I highly recommend Chet's Place in Lincoln. Very nice fellow, is Chet, and he loves the trail and its community. Works on a donation basis. A bit scruffy - think thru-hiker chic - but very friendly and helpful. He works on a donation basis. Was very kind and gave me my own room the night i stayed there, and I donated accordingly. PM me and I'll be happy to pass on his number.

The problems I can foresee with camping are being unable to get a reservation and bad weather. If you need a hostel as bailout option, I highly recommend Chet's Place in Lincoln. Very nice fellow, is Chet, and he loves the trail and its community. Works on a donation basis. A bit scruffy - think thru-hiker chic - but very friendly and helpful. He works on a donation basis. Was very kind and gave me my own room the night i stayed there, and I donated accordingly. PM me and I'll be happy to pass on his number.

is it that hard to get spots at lafayette campground this time of year?? why is it so busy at a campground??

is it that hard to get spots at lafayette campground this time of year?? why is it so busy at a campground??

Foliage season, believe it or not. I often see the "No Vacancy" sign hung out at Lafayette during peak weekends.

I think your timing will be good. Bethlehem, Littleton and Lisbon appear to be about 15 to 30%. There were 2 tour buses, a gaggle of bikers and town street fairs in Bath and Lisbon today, so traffic will be slow. Patience.
Hard tellin', not knowin', but it looks like it might be a quick leaf season.

I think your timing will be good. Bethlehem, Littleton and Lisbon appear to be about 15 to 30%. There were 2 tour buses, a gaggle of bikers and town street fairs in Bath and Lisbon today, so traffic will be slow. Patience.
Hard tellin', not knowin', but it looks like it might be a quick leaf season.

looks like saturday doing the Fran. ridge and sunday up early and drive around... just need to figure out the car spot and which direction to do the loop..Suggestions? CW or CCW ??

Should be a lot less traffic early on a Sunday. Where are you starting on Sunday ? Do Bald Mountain for that view if you have some extra time on Saturday. I prefer the view driving north through all of the notches, so I don't know how to manage that. Stop at Willey Pond if you drive through Crawford Notch.

Should be a lot less traffic early on a Sunday. Where are you starting on Sunday ? Do Bald Mountain for that view if you have some extra time on Saturday. I prefer the view driving north through all of the notches, so I don't know how to manage that. Stop at Willey Pond if you drive through Crawford Notch.

saturdays our big hike.. sunday. pancakes and driving looking..sat doing either 2 or 4 peaks from layfayette to Flume... sundays drive was hoping to drive from campground to conway around thru crawford Notch and back around then keep heading west Home..:)

does it matter CW or CCW of this loop driving? is more to see to the north then if lack of time i can cut out before getting to conway i seen

Last edited:
Breeze suggested skipping the North Conway scene altogether by cutting from the Kanc to 302 on Bear Notch Rd. I've never been through that way, don't know if it's paved or rutted, but it makes sense if the traffic is bad and you don't want to shop or eat while out there. Crawford Notch has great views coming north and of the Pressies above Mt Washington Resort east. I honestly don't think I've ever driven all the way north through Pinkham Notch from Conway, so can't vouch for those views.