Why Do You Hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me I think it's the freedom....while backpacking (and climbing) for a few days you don't need anything that you aren't carrying....everything you need to survive is in your pack.....that and the adventure and challenge....

Sunfish

Hilarious... I'm sure bob could have given you better pics of me for that though!

I know I've all ready answered this thread but I have pondered the thought often as of late.

Another reason I hike is because "Peril is part of its equation." Being on the edge, the verge of none existence. For some reason its euphoric!

I've been trying to figure out my answer to this for several days now and on the way to work this morning it finally hit me. I drive west on 2A in Mass and as I come over the crest of a hill, Wachusset is right in fromt of me. I don't understand why but a I get a tightness in the pit of my stomach every time I see a mountain. I realized I have always felt this since growing up in Vermont and being able to run out the back door and into the woods to the top of the ridge behind the house. I need to hike and for me uphill is the best direction.

Rick said:
My coworkers cannot understand and they laughingly consider me the oddball because I'd rather backpack than stay in a hotel, hike rather than golf and kayak rather than tour a harbor in a party boat. But all of that is OK with me. My life is pretty doggone good as it is, and if something goes badly, I know I can always take a hike to figure it out!!!!!!! :)

Your co-workers don't have a clue. You on the other hand, know where it's at. People laughing at those who hike make me feel like the guy over on the left of the screen does. Keep hiking the hike. :)

Last edited:
people laught at you for hiking" - ya got me going.

same happens to me.

and I might add that your co-workers are probably overweight, take the elevator and escalator all the time, their kids are overweight, play video games all day - yea - I am generalizing but probably some truth to it.

2 things that piss me off - the 50 person line at the bottom of an esacalator when the stairs are right next to it and the person at in the shopping plaza that will wait 5 minutes for a close parking spot instead of walking the 50 feet - yea some people can't walk far due to whatever - but it ain't this many people

diet pills and obeisty pills - give me a break - and we are wondering why insurance goes up. The only diet pill people need is excerise. I

make no mistake - this weight problem we have is hurting us all - health insurance is higher, airline costs are higher due to more weight, more fuel.

I will catch flack for this but I don't care - I know some of you feel the same.

digress.....

wheew - had to get that off my chest.

- nothing against golf, and it takes a certain skill for sure - but it ain't the most endurance thing out there and pretty much anyone can do it - not all can do it good, but you get my drift.

On the other hand - those (my co-workers do the same) that laugh of us for hiking and climbing - becuase they can't or won't do it. If a fat lazy person (massachusetts has many of them) laughs at you for hiking - then consider the source -

giggy said:
diet pills and obeisty pills - give me a break - and we are wondering why insurance goes up. The only diet pill people need is excerise. I

make no mistake - this weight problem we have is hurting us all - health insurance is higher, airline costs are higher due to more weight, more fuel.

I will catch flack for this but I don't care - I know some of you feel the same.

AND

giggy said:
On the other hand - those (my co-workers do the same) that laugh of us for hiking and climbing - becuase they can't or won't do it. If a fat lazy person (massachusetts has many of them) laughs at you for hiking - then consider the source -

As you should (catch flack), those are pretty opinionated & intolerant statements that actually say MORE ABOUT YOU than the "lazy", obese people your talking about. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that America's obesity problem (and there is one) is what Rick was referring to. I wonder if the initial poster presented the question seeking political commentary on "social state of our society" as dictated by giggy.

Like him, I know many people (and many skinny ones too) that have no interest in hiking simply because they don't find it enjoyable, not because they are lazy at all. Not sure I lump everyone who doesn't find the same level enjoyment in hiking in one category.

That's just my two cents.

Last edited:
CaptainJim said:
. . .Hiking fouled trails to go diving in murky waters looking for useless fish sounds pretty senseless, but that's only the inane example. The boy who did the diving was totally involved, totally enthralled. The boy who hiked for the sake of the hike and learned to dive for the sake of diving - Hardly inane !!!

Great essay, Captain Jim!

Like some others have said here, I hike because . . . it makes me feel good to go hiking. Something I've enjoyed doing for more than 50 years. Analyzing it much beyond that only seems like an effort to justify and invariably leads (me) nowhere.

G.

I have always loved nature. When I was a little kid my mother couldn't keep me out of the brook by our house. I was always catching frogs and what not. That love for nature carried over into college where I majored in biology (fresh water ecology). Trekkin thru the woods to different water bodies and studying the surrounding drainage basins, got me looking at peaks and decided I should check those out. So now I hit peaks, and still go looking for frogs. I can't explain why I enjoy it all, or maybe just too many reasons to list.

Oh and sometimes I hike to look for pirate treasure.

Thanks Grumpy!

Grumpy said:
Great essay, Captain Jim!

Like some others have said here, I hike because . . . it makes me feel good to go hiking. Something I've enjoyed doing for more than 50 years. Analyzing it much beyond that only seems like an effort to justify and invariably leads (me) nowhere.

G.

As I get older (especially since 9/11 and crossing over the 50 line) I have tended to think more about things like the meaning of life and our purpose here on Earth. I've been trying to write down as much as I can for my website & journal so when I'm dead and gone my kids (who are only 2 & 3 right now and won't understand Daddy for quite some time) will be able to look back and know what Daddy was all about... and right from the horses mouth so to speak, rather than hear stories about me from others.

Peace Out...
Capt. Jim

relax - that was no political commentary - just my observations of the many folks who "laugh or sigh at the oddball" when I come to work monday morning and they ask what I did over the weekend. Or family members who do the same. Yes - I have lazy family members. Nothing wrong with them - but it is a fact.

opinionated - yes - Intolerant- only if they laugh or mock other activites.

There still is freedom of speech in this great country - isn't there. Or is it only free speech if nobody is "offended" or their "feelings hurt".

but - this was probably not the place for this rant - so I probably should apologize for that and will shut up now.

and capt jim - that was a great post.

Last edited:
My post was more related to the fact that my coworkers and former coworkers(corporate finance and contract management) usually wonder WHY anybody would do this stuff if they DIDN'T have to. The comment has been made many times, but laughingly "Rick, normal people don't do this stuff....What's with you?"

I don't see it as right or wrong - Just a different perspective. Here are two completely laughable examples:

I started bike commuting to work last week. the week prior I was hunting around the loading docks looking for a place to park my bike inside. When my bosses boss found out he asked "Was the matter with you- I know what you make so you can't claim you can't afford gasoline - Why are you riding a bike to work-this is not normal... It's embarassing to look out and see you riding a bike to work - this isn't Jr High."

Another higher-up coworker asked me several weeks ago to help him pick out a couple of kayaks - He said wanted "the best kayaks made". I asked him a couple of questions about where he would go with them and such - He made some vague comments - So I started explaining materials and types of boats and such and he looked at me with annoyance and said "Dude, I don't care about all that - just tell me what's a good kayak that I can carry on the deck of my boat!!"

:D

thanks rick - that comment by your boss is a perfect example and I think pretty widespread attitude on the east coast. see - your doing yourself a favor healthwise and community good by cutting down down pollution/traffic by biking to work. I am not an enviro crazy by any means, but think you should be applauded for biking to work and making an effort. Not being told its Jr high and not normal or "how itt looks".

I don't know - that attitude just kind of bugs me like the folks in line at the escalator and those waiting for the park spot. - no offense here intended Maybe its a stupid opinion - but never said I said I was smart!!

ok, i'm breaking down and adding to this post, even though I vowed not to. I believe the reason most everyone (including me) hikes is cause we GET IT! When you can look at a tree and get it, step on a rock and get it, hear a bird and get it, then you GOT IT! Doesn't matter if you're in an urban environment or not, if you GOT IT then you understand.
Being on a hike just magnifies the GOTTENNESS of it all.
(I used to be married to a person who didn't get it, so it's very apparent to me)

Hey Giggy,
I agree with you and I also don't think anyone needs to apologize for their opinions.
We have become a lazy fat ass society that finds fault with others for our own short comings. You no longer have to be responsible for your actions.
Hence the wonderful legal system where you can sue McDonalds because you're obese. It's not my fault, it's theirs!
This logic spills over to other facets of life and is the reason why there's a line at the escalator.
Isn't it easier to take a pill instead of taking a walk? Isn't easier to park in the handicap space because it'll only be a minute, and parking a few spaces back is inconvenient?

And Rick, it's too bad you don't have my boss. He just got back from climbing Kilimanjaro. It very helpful because he TOTALLY understands when I want to leave early on Friday to hit the mountains and beat the traffic!!!
He also happens to be a huge fan of healthy living and has started a massive company-wide campaign called "Heart Healthy".

I know this hasn't gotten a little off the thread so send me my dunce cap, but I still think Giggy has it right (just my opinion ;) )

When I first saw this thread I thought, who cares, and didn’t check it out. Well after reading through the last 2 pages it’s got me thinking.

I was simply driven to hiking by forces unknown. One summer I hitchhiked out to the Canadian Rockies and landed a job washing pots when I was 20 and, magnetized, spent all my time off on the trails. I remember wearing steel toe construction boots with the uppers separated from the lowers all along the sides with gym shorts through thigh deep snow in May to go over the passes. (Sorry guys but I post-holed the whole way.) I never got proper boots that summer because I couldn’t bear to spend any of my time off shopping for them.

Today at age 49, the same mysterious drive is there. I feel best when I’m planning a trip, doing a trip or doing the post-mortem on the forums or simply re-living it in my head. I think about hiking almost all the time. It’s not so much “hiking” per se that I’m driven to, hiking is just the vehicle. It’s more what the hiking leads me to. All the stuff that’s already been mentioned plus the spectacular environments that you can only get to by self propelled means.

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
AND

As you should (catch flack), those are pretty opinionated & intolerant statements that actually say MORE ABOUT YOU

Hey mavs00,
That seems like an opinionated & intolerant statement about giggy. (see post #49) :D

Last edited:
Wow, when I tell my co-workers I went for a solo hike they always suggest that I should do more soloing. Much different then your experience.

Co-wkr - Did you bareboot Huntington's Ravine yet?
Dr. Wu - What? No. In February!?
Co-wkr - It's the best time to go.
Dr. Wu - No!
Co-wkr - You can walk on water...

I don't like these conversations with my co-workers but for obvious different reasons.

-Dr. Wu