Why I "don't" post trip reports

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why I don't post trip reports

• I do not have the time

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I have nothing to add to the other 6 summer trip reports on summiting Mt Tom

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • I feel that my modest trip report will not get much attention

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • On my last trip, I didn't find: moose, deer, bear, human skull, fox, lost hiker, or Jennifer Lopez

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • I do not want people to know what I am hiking

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • I do not want to seem like an ego-maniac

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • What happens in La Casa, stays in La Casa

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters
The main reason why I don't post many trip reports is because I don't have the time. I have a demanding job that requires me to work 10 hours a day, and when I arrive home I like to spend time with my wife and kids, not sitting in front of a computer typing. :eek: On weekends, I am either doing stuff with the family or I am out hiking. I also occasionally don't post them for the other reasons I listed in the poll, but allocating the time is the main reason.

I also want to point out that I am not "anti-trip report". In fact, it's the first section on VFTT I visit when I go there. I love reading about friends adventures, or TR's about places I have never been to. Though I don't post many TR's, I read hundreds... :)

RoySwkr said:
I write notes of nearly every hike primarily to organize my thoughts of the hike and secondarily to record information I might want later. ...

Only a small fraction of these make it to web sites, usually heavily edited to include only info useful to others.

What information do you regard as being "useful to others?"

Several have mentioned that idea, and I'm curious as to how folks actually perceive that criterion.

G.

Grumpy said:

Several have mentioned that idea, and I'm curious as to how folks actually perceive that criterion.

G.
Well, here's an example:
bigmoose said:
As we descended, I replayed the bushwhack in my mind. Instead of the horror show others have experienced reaching the Captain from the southeast or north, I had myself a nice little hike, although climbing Carrigain first might not be be everyone. For me, though, this turned out to be one of the more enoyable bushwhacks I've undertaken. I just regret I did it solo.
I've taken this route so I knew it was nice and open but others might learn a thing about the Captain. Twice I went up the Arrow Slide (Hancock) -- 1st time BW above the slide was horribe. 2nd time BW 150' from the top was nice and open. Giggy might have mentioned this in his trip report (I can't remember if he wrote it or I did). Most people would think, "cool trip report -- where are the pictures?" but someone interested would take note "woods open 150' below the top-right of the slide."

-Dr. Wu

I'll do most of my trail condition reports unless it's the 2nd or 3rd Franconia Ridge Report of that weekend. I'll do MA or CT reports because there are less of those.

As far as the expanding narrative of Trip Reports, I'll read a few based on authors & their trips. (Location & writing style) Some I just browse through. Giving you the details of my thoughts on what I was thinking, seeing, sensing (blah blah blah) while on my way up South Twin for the 9th time (wait that's in a couple of weeks) seems counter intuitive to the Hike your own hike philosophy.

I'll write in the trail condtion report it's steep (okay most of us here know that) and how the water crossings & mud were & if the roads were open or if I went in via the Beaver Brook X-C area but you should go because you find value in it not because I think someplace is wonderful.

I also almost never ask people to take my picture with my camera, I'd rather see just the scenery instead of me blocking part of the scenery. (I do have a few pictures of me, more in winter & late fall with rime ice on signs & several years old) I'll take your picture with your camera & in some cases your picture with my camera to help with scale but that's it.

Heck I've been a member here a long time & finally just added an avatar this year. (and it's 4 -5 years old, the little girl is 7 now)

SherpaKroto said:
Haven't had much to write about :(

I disgree ... it's just that it would be characterized as off-topic fluff. Personally, I'd like to read more about Bearly Live and kayaking. Post 'em somewhere!

I don't post reports because
a. I don't have the time
b. I don't think I will add much, as most of my hikes aren't that eventful
c. I don't personally read them that much either
d. It's not like I know very many people on here

I guess because I don't have a huge interest in reading other people's reports on my mostly fairly standard hikes, I assume they won't have much interest in my reports, maybe they will, maybe they won't. The rare occasions when I do read a report, its from someone I personally know, or its referenced elsewhere in the forums.

I actually rarely go into the reports or events sections of VFTT, I mainly just go to conditions, GBC and New England Q&A.

I do post conditions, because that does a real service.

Trip reports not posted because

1. I type terribly and don't like looking even more illiterate than I already am.

2. There are lots of good trip reports on trailed hikes

3. There aren't many bushwhackers out there; happy to respond to queries.

Grumpy said:
Interesting places not in guidebook

Situation changed from guidebook

Occurrences that others might find amusing

Temporary stuff like water depth and whether trail is broken may go in trail conditions instead

RoySwkr said:
Interesting places not in guidebook

Situation changed from guidebook

Occurrences that others might find amusing

Temporary stuff like water depth and whether trail is broken may go in trail conditions instead

Yeah, I agree with Roy. I try to post winter hike info under Trail Conditions to help others with planning what gear to bring, etc. I suggested starting a thread or even a new section to report trail conditions on the board to facilitate cleaning up downed trees, etc. (i.e., unlike on the Trail Conditions site, folks could report back when they completed various volunteer tasks), but that idea met with lots of negativity. Some day I would like to find time to post photos for some of my climbs and hikes for others to view, but like Frodo, I find that time is tight. On top of a 60+ hr work week, I spend a lot of time as an activist against war and for efforts to combat global warming. So, driving to trailheads for hiking is making me feel guiltier and guiltier. Perhaps soon I will just stay home and live vacariously reading trip reports of others. :(

IF, I ran into someting out of the ordinary, Wind blown trees, JL, or new constrution I'd report it.

I don't even read many reports.

If I want info on a trail I'll read about it from the guide, not some macho boast from someone who may or may not be embelishing their efforts.

Its seldom that I feel my reports are worth writing or reading. When I think they might be, I try to get my act together and write them up.

Wu has a point: Sun Ra said he would rather be on Jupiter, but you could tell by the way he walked he was from Saturn. (Back in the day, I used to go see him every time he was in Boston or Cambridge. I miss him.)