Wild Kingdom weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBuffalo

Reaction score
Last week I was thinking that from all the hiking I've been doing, one of these days I'd run across something like a lost silver mine in the Cats or something nearly as exciting. Wildlife usually hears me coming so, very few id's of animals.
In Needham, Ma. yesterday I saw a rabbit and a baby bunny (yeah cute) and
a snapping turtle on a road.
Today, a wild turkey in SW Mass, the first time I've seen one actually fly. Then I ran across a den of Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes. 3 or more visable just off the S.Taconic trail. Scared the crap out of me, but managed to get some shots. Really crummy shots.

Help me with this one:
Then in Egermont driving down the road, a large animal crossed the road ahead of my car, orangish in color, didn't seem to have a tail, very muscular.
First thought Fox, no. They're not that muscular and no bushy tail. Bobcat? Do they really get that big? The third thought was "Is it a cougar?" Now I'm not a real believer in Funky Freddy's thread, yet, so I'll leave it to those who may have an other idea of what it might have been.
Dave G.

No the snakes were Timber rattlers not Diamondbacks, I found out and yes it was a bobcat I spotted.

(I'm here talking to myself)
DaveG.

Help me with this one:
Then in Egermont driving down the road, a large animal crossed the road ahead of my car, orangish in color, didn't seem to have a tail, very muscular.
First thought Fox, no. They're not that muscular and no bushy tail. Bobcat? Do they really get that big? The third thought was "Is it a cougar?" Now I'm not a real believer in Funky Freddy's thread, yet, so I'll leave it to those who may have an other idea of what it might have been.
Dave G.

Could it have been a newborn moose calf? Maybe it was following mama and you saw the calf just after mama was out of sight. Maybe it was a deer with it's tail tucked?

If it looked like a cat, then I'd guess bobcat. Cougars have the long distinctive tail.

Thanks for the info. Doubt next weekend will live up to last.

DaveG.