Amazing Sight - A Planet Earth Moment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
Even now almost three days later I'm still amazed at what I am about to write...

On Saturday I was out doing a training hike (after a 5 year break I'm once again going to do the Devil's Path in a day) and had decided to do the Burrough's Range Loop. I started in Woodland Valley and decided at the last moment to head down the Curtis-Ormsbee Trail and then down the Phoenicia East Branch Trail to where it meets with the Peekamoose/Table Trail so that I could make it as close to a 20 miler as possible.

I stopped at the trail junction to eat some lunch when all of a sudden I heard a large racket in the woods heading towards me. As I sat there a large deer came running out of the valley right by me and came close enough that I could clearly see that it appeared to still have it’s winter coat on (it’s fur was bushy and thick). A second or two later I heard more noise in the woods and realized that something was following it. As I scanned the woods for it, listening as it got closer; I caught glimpses of something smaller running and figured that it was just another deer. It finally got close enough that I could see it and my mouth practically dropped in amazement as I watched a large coyote, it’s ears tucked back and tail pointing straight back like a rudder, sprint by me. It was a beautiful blondish brown color with thick fur, easily 60 pounds and was the size of a large husky. Watching it effortlessly sprint through the woods jumping over downed trees was truly amazing and I instantly realized how lucky I was to see it. I felt like I was in an episode of BBC’s Planet Earth. It is something I’ll never forget and certainly one of those moments where you think “this is why I like the outdoors and why I like doing this!”

Now I know that it couldn’t be a wolf but it was far larger than any coyote that I’ve ever seen. In fact I often hike by myself and never really worry about coming upon a wild animal even though I’ve come upon bear and even a bobcat on previous hikes in the area. It reminded me of an incident years ago where I watched a large coyote (again easily 60 pounds) stalking a deer from about 50’ away and can remember thinking “what if that coyote realizes I’m here and comes after me instead?” Needless to say for the next couple of miles I stopped every time I heard any large noises in the woods :eek:

The coyotes in the Catskills can be intense. They ripped apart a deer in my friends back yard a few years ago and it looked as if it had been devoured by lions......

The eastern coyote also has a large amount of wolf DNA according to many studies and could be considered a hybrid of wolf and coyote.

It must have been an awesome sight..... awesome and chilling! just looking at the carcass in my friend's backyard with a nearby tree full of turkey vultures irritated at having their meal interrupted was a chilling sight, LOL.

Last edited:
Coyote

As stated in previous posts, the Eastern Coyote is much larger than its' western counterpart, and is thought to be a Coyote/Wolf hybrid. Last summer, two coyotes attacked and killed a female hiker on a trail in Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia, Canada).

Last Sunday, in the bright afternoon sunlight, I saw a HUGE coyote (I am assuming it was a coyote-wolf hybrid) run down the street and then tear through our wooded backyard (Campton, NH). It was gigantic!!

As stated in previous posts, the Eastern Coyote is much larger than its' western counterpart, and is thought to be a Coyote/Wolf hybrid. Last summer, two coyotes attacked and killed a female hiker on a trail in Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia, Canada).

Yes -- there have been some recent news/media articles about these hybrids, and they're even referred to as "coywolves"...

It's neat that you got to see one, Mtn.goat!

Two quick stories...

I was solo hiking at Seven Springs, PA in the Laurel Mountains a few years back and had just sat down on a fielded hilltop. I saw some movement quite a distance away and realized there were two coyotes. Well, they must have already spotted me before I saw them - they were making a quick, trotting beeline towards me! These two were on a mission. :eek: I realized that in the sitting position I was in that they must have only been able to see my head above the weeds so I immediately stood up and waved. That got their attention, spooked them, and off they ran into the woods.

I have also seen one of the larger coyotes (coywolf) when I was deer hunting in western PA. I heard a running noise off to my right side and assumed it was a deer in full flight but when I looked, there it was, a large coyote sprinting past me within no more than 25 yards. I always wondered what that fella was chasing or what was on its mind because that surely was a strange 3 second encounter. :confused:

It's great when mother nature reminds us it's not all Bambi and Thumper out there. I've personally seen a fox pounce snow and come up with a vole, a pine martin chase a freaked-out rabbit out of the woods and down the trail to and through us and a coyote push a herd of deer through a field. All exciting moments. Very cool.

That's one of the reasons I always carry a rather impressive hunting knife on the belt. Anything that tries to take a bite out of me is going to earn it! ;)