Wild River and Sandwich Range Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Has anyone been out to these new boundaries that were made and seen wilderness signs? Speaking for the Wild River Wilderness, the center is much like Lincoln Woods and very accessible by biking which had opened up large areas to be reached easier. I think this implication is going to change the entire charactor of the area. Foot travel will make it more inaccessible and much different. I know not everyone agrees with that, but personally I think it would make it somewhere I would go now because of that change. Having a biker fly by can sometimes change the feeling of a place. I am a mountain biker as well, so just a personal preference. Great to hear about the expansions on the Sandwich Range as well, Guinea Pond is a beautiful place and great fishing, so glad that area was protected. I am surprised that they didn't expand the Pemi, but at least there are management areas as a buffer. Areas like Hanock Notch are as wild as it gets in the Whites, if you haven't been there, check it out, I was there on a rainy foggy day and think Grouseking was looking over his shoulder a lot, as well as me. -Mattl

Yes, the new boundary signs are there, in both Sandwich Range and Wild River.

I can remember when ATV were allowed on Wild River Trail which reduced hike quality even more, but if you believe in Phil Levin's idea of Concentric Wilderness you should not be able to step out of car into Wilderness but rather should go through gradually wilder terrain and expend some effort before you reach Wilderness hence bikes or ATV on first section would be appropriate

Note that the boundary signs often are not where the boundary is shown on the map, Rocky Branch Trail E and Brook Trail Chocorua for example

RoySwkr said:
Note that the boundary signs often are not where the boundary is shown on the map, Rocky Branch Trail E and Brook Trail Chocorua for example

Any signs that are in the wrong place should certainly be corrected, and I'd be glad to pass any suggestions on to the FS. Can you give me details on any discrepancies? Last I checked, Brook Trail doesn't enter the Sandwich Range Wilderness at all.

psmart said:
Last I checked, Brook Trail doesn't enter the Sandwich Range Wilderness at all.
In this case of course I meant the Scenic Area. It seemed to me that the sign as found on the trail was higher than where it was shown on the USGS map, of course I can't say which was correct and can't even prove they were different as I didn't have a GPS.

What I was trying to say is that if you plan a trip based on a map the sign may be in a different place. Presumably the FS will enforce the rules based on the sign but who knows - maybe they put a GPS reading on tickets now?

RoySwkr said:
... I meant the Scenic Area. It seemed to me that the sign as found on the trail was higher than where it was shown on the USGS map.

The signs are on the boundary of the Mt Chocorua Forest Protection Area (FPA), which is lies inside the Mt Chocorua Scenic Area. Most maps show only the Scenic Area, and assume that the FPA is the same - not so!

Unfortunately, the FS has never produced a public map of the FPA, other than the one that is fastened to each of these signs! I believe the new WODC map is the only map to correctly show both areas.

If you follow the link above, you can see a reduced image of the map. The Chocorua FPA is the large purple area on the right side of the map, inside the dark green Scenic Area.

psmart said:
The signs are on the boundary of the Mt Chocorua Forest Protection Area (FPA), which is lies inside the Mt Chocorua Scenic Area. Most maps show only the Scenic Area, and assume that the FPA is the same - not so!

Unfortunately, the FS has never produced a public map of the FPA, other than the one that is fastened to each of these signs! I believe the new WODC map is the only map to correctly show both areas.

If you follow the link above, you can see a reduced image of the map. The Chocorua FPA is the large purple area on the right side of the map, inside the dark green Scenic Area.

Nice looking map! Just to be clear, this map shows the new Wilderness borders? I'm going to drop a hint to Santa. ;)

happy trails :)

Agreed - I have the 2nd edition, and the 3rd looks to improve on what's already one of the finest maps I've used, and which regrettably many people don't even know exists!

forestgnome said:
Nice looking map! Just to be clear, this map shows the new Wilderness borders?

Yes, absolutely. The Third edition of the WODC map & guide shows the 2006 expansions to the Sandwich Range Wilderness.

I love that map! It came in very handy in September when I was climbing Paugus and Chocorua. The same guy just published a new detailed map of the Waterville Valley area which uses the same format. I picked one up last week at the Mountain Wanderer and look forward to exploring that area in 08.

rocksnrolls said:
The same guy just published a new detailed map of the Waterville Valley area which uses the same format.

Mike Bromberg produced the three modern WODC maps. He also produced the new hiking map for WVAIA, plus a map of the Waterville nordic ski trails that will be released soon.

psmart said:
Most maps show only the Scenic Area, and assume that the FPA is the same - not so!
I knew the difference but didn't catch it, thanks for the explanation. At least my estimate of the sign's location was correct :)

Unfortunately the WODC map doesn't show Rocky Branch Trail :-(