Will I be able to hike thursday or friday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I've been spinning my wheels for the past 3 weeks, with 2 4k's to go. I thought for sure I'd have no problem finishing this year (I had 3 to go as of labor day).

I've got Carrigain and Garfield left.

Given the heavy rains and now the snow, what equipment will I need to finish?

Thanks

There are a couple of recent Trail Condition reports on Garfield.....

Good Luck!....Jade

Garfield is absolutely amazing! I backpacked up a month ago and loved it. Here is a picture that I took during sunset on the top:
23805324092_8258.jpg

Yesterday at 4,300 feet on Mt Washington there were winter conditions, snow and ice so with Garfield 200 feet above you might expect snow. If you're going in on the Garfield trail you'll join up with Garfield ridge which is rocky and somewhat steep. I wouldn't be as concerned with going up this without equipment as coming down it. Current temps at the higher summits are just above freezing with predictions the same for tomorrow so for me I'd carry something like stabilicers or instep crampons for Garfield. We're at that time of year now where I'll be packing some winter gear.

I've done hikes that were all snow or ice, but not at this time of the year where I assume it would be patchy?

What happens when you have ice on some of your steps but not on all? You can't just climb down bare rock with crampons.

Gator said:
What happens when you have ice on some of your steps but not on all? You can't just climb down bare rock with crampons.

I've worn crampons many times on bare rock, sometimes you have no choice. As Giggy said, be careful...... and plug your ears....like nails on a chalkboard to me.