Winter Bivy Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read with interest the thread from last year on this topic (link below) and have a few questions for those with some experience with this. I'm looking for a good winter bivy option. Here are the specifics:

1. It needs to enclose a winter bag and be reusable, but not necessarily frequently.

2. For this use, I'm not interested in tarps, garbage bag options (although on long backpacking trips I carry two trash compactor bags/duct tape - very durable), nor does it need to double as shelter for more than one.

3. I have the ADVENTURE MEDICAL KITS Thermo-Lite Bivy 2 but have not used it - I plan to try it this winter overnight under controlled, cold conditions.

4. I'm considering the Blizzard Survival Bag based on what I have read here and elesewhere.

5. Anyone spent a night below 10 degrees F in any one of these that can discuss their performance in the open, snow cave, or snow pit?

Thanks in advance for your expertise and thoughts!

Scott

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32541&highlight="winter+bivy"

Admittedly, I don't believe that gear is the answer to anything. In general, I think attitude on a cold forced bivy is 10x more important than which bag weighs how many ounces, etc. So before I sound like a preachy oldtimer, let me say that I think you are on the right track; get out there and test stuff.

I've had emergency bivies (which are extremely rare even for winter mountaineers) and survived them all and they mostly sucked. Some without a bag or anything, some with a bag but lots of snow or rain, etc. I have a very thin 8' x 8' tarp that probably has served me better than any other single piece of bivy gear. My coldest bivy was -52f but it was a windless night and I wore my down jacket inside the bag.

Enjoy your testing.

4. I'm considering the Blizzard Survival Bag based on what I have read here and elesewhere.

I have it, it lives in the bottom of my pack all winter. I've never removed it from the shrink wrap as I fear trying to get it anywhere close to its original size**

**You can send it back to the manufacturer and they'll re-pack it for a nominal fee.

For controlled situations I would sleep out once a week through out the year including winters in my yard then take what I learned to the mnts.
The only part of your questions I can answer with any of the light weight foil type options.
Test them in the wind... if you use them make absolutely sure they don't blow away.
Which ever method you use, durable or not, your in a tough situation if you are watching them go flying away like a kite.
In the coldest of weather practice the most simple of things. Can you open the package with mittens? with gloves? how do you hold it while you take out your pad, sleeping bag? Do you tear the package open? cut it open? put snow on it to keep it from blowing away?
Do not let the opening seal shut while you sleep... how do you prevent that etc, etc, etc...
It may seem foolishly simplistic while your practicing in controlled situations but the time comes when all those things add up to your advantage...or not.
Good luck
(...as you can tell I'm a big believer in practice, practice, practice)

Admittedly, I don't believe that gear is the answer to anything. In general, I think attitude on a cold forced bivy is 10x more important than which bag weighs how many ounces, etc.

Totally agreed. Thanks for the input. -52? Wow. You rock.

Bignslow and Drumhaggart - thanks as well. Glad you had presence of mind in that situation and were able to overcome those difficulties Drumh...

Spider - great insights - thanks. I've done similar controlled testing on setting up tents as quickly as possible in order to force muscle memory of the routine

Hamtero - I'm usually out there solo but carry a solid winter bag on most winter days (North Face Dark Star -40) along with the knowledge that it's no good if you're not generating any heat...

I'm also looking at some real bivy sacks - I should have been more clear about that - I'm going to test out the foil and see how it holds up for multiple uses. If I can find a good used, waterproof sack, I'll go with one of those - I'm planning on using it in non-emergency winter situations as well when I don't take a tent.

Thanks for all the comments - this is a great resource for hearing from those with expertise/experience/opinions.

I'm usually out there solo but carry a solid winter bag on most winter days (North Face Dark Star -40) along with the knowledge that it's no good if you're not generating any heat...
One disadvantage of the emergency bivies is thay they are generally made of waterproof fabric. Presumably you know this will result in moisture accumulating in the sleeping bag. The above bag is synthetic, but it still is an issue.

I presume that you also have a closed-cell foam pad... A pad can be more important than the bag in an emergency.

I'm also looking at some real bivy sacks
Real bivy sacks are more likely to have a breathable top.

Doug

One disadvantage of the emergency bivies is thay they are generally made of waterproof fabric. Presumably you know this will result in moisture accumulating in the sleeping bag. The above bag is synthetic, but it still is an issue.

I presume that you also have a closed-cell foam pad... A pad can be more important than the bag in an emergency.

Real bivy sacks are more likely to have a breathable top.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I tend to carry a thermarest pad and agree about the importance in separating you from the cold ground. It sounds like a real bivy sack with breathable top may be the best choice for me in the long run both for the moisture issue and durability. I've seen a few weather-resistant sacks. I can imagine the inside of one of the emergency bivys might get a little steamy...

3. I have the ADVENTURE MEDICAL KITS Thermo-Lite Bivy 2 but have not used it - I plan to try it this winter overnight under controlled, cold conditions. http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32541&highlight="winter+bivy"

I use this 2-3 time a winter so far for 3 winters to -10?

Staying warm isn't the problem while sleeping. Getting up in the morning when it is this cold is. I put on all my layers and start walking around until internal heat builds up. Then I can start taking off layers.

Mostly weekend two nighters so moisture build up hasn't been a problem. No hood on the bivy so I use a fleece hoodie and head sock inside my mummy bag.

I'm sure the more expensive stuff works better. :)

I also carry a vapor barrier bag but have never used it, yet.

Last edited:
I use bivys year round. This is the one I use in winter conditions:

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=52

It was designed with input from the Mazamas and the military. I've used it on winter trips to Baxter with great results. This bivy's only real drawback is that,with the synthetic insulation, it's bulk and pack-weight compare to a small tent.

The term "bivy" is being used in this thread for everything from a Space Blanket to a bag liner to a 1 man tent. I think the OP needs to specify size/weight/and intended use limits. I decided a 2 1/2lb Seedhouse SL1 I found on sale suited my needs. That, the clothes I wear and carry and a 3/4 length pad should be okay.

Last edited:
Nice tent but I couldn't sleep in that during the winter without a spaceheater and then my pack weight would be too much. :D

I hear ya, but I'm more concerned with exposure. I think the clothes I wear and carry would be warm enough. If I had to hole up for the evening, I'd be psyched to have a real tent to crawl into, as opposed to some sort of bag. Once the tent's fly is in place, it's pretty bullet-proof.

Bignslow and Drumhaggart - thanks as well. Glad you had presence of mind in that situation and were able to overcome those difficulties Drumh...

Just to clarify: That wasn't me that spent the night on Moosilauke.

I do, however, carry a foil emergency bivy and hope that I would handle a forced overnight as well as the poster that was benighted on the Moose.

-Steve

I hear ya, but I'm more concerned with exposure. I think the clothes I wear and carry would be warm enough. If I had to hole up for the evening, I'd be psyched to have a real tent to crawl into, as opposed to some sort of bag. Once the tent's fly is in place, it's pretty bullet-proof.

Is this for an emergency situation or your regular winter camping set up.

Just to clarify: That wasn't me that spent the night on Moosilauke.
-Steve

Gotcha - My mistake.

Thanks for the comments Chip, Swamp, LR.

As for specifics, I was relatively open to a few options but am now convinced a good quality bivy sack will be the better option for my needs since it will hold up under multiple uses and I can take it on solo trips. The 4-season tent is weigh too heavy.

Something along the lines of the Wiggy in Swamp's link, maybe a slightly lighter option but that isn't even that bad at a little over 2 pounds.

I highly recommend the OR bivys. Mine has held up very well, is waterproof - breathable (goretex). Only problem is condensation ... I always end up with some if I put the hood over my head.. One night I considered using a snorkel to vent my breath out but never followed thru. I have done (10 to 15 degree night) winter overnights a few times and been fine.

I highly recommend the OR bivys. Mine has held up very well, is waterproof - breathable (goretex). Only problem is condensation ... I always end up with some if I put the hood over my head.. One night I considered using a snorkel to vent my breath out but never followed thru. I have done (10 to 15 degree night) winter overnights a few times and been fine.

I have seen a snorkel make out of fleece that makes you look like an elephant. Haven't tried/made one yet. I imagine the fleece would get wet and freez up at the opening. It wouldn't do anything about persperation condensation.