Winter Owl’s Head via Brutie Bushwhack 3-19-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
Chinooktrail, Coldmountain, Yam, Bobandgeri, Lawnsale, and I met up at Lincoln Woods at 0630 to start a winter attempt on Owl’s Head. The weather was cold, but not windy and dry. We made it across the Pemigewasset River and headed up the Wilderness trail, which was a sheet of ice, with patches of dirt to both sides. We decided to stay with bareboots, despite another hiker darting past us with crampons. He was heading to the Bonds, and toward MEB, Hikerbob, and company.

We veered off onto the Black Pond Trail and followed the well marked yellow blazes to the Pond, and a quick break. One of the great things about group hikes that are long is sharing food. We shared cheeses, different types of salted meat, chocolate covered espresso beans (better than gu!!!), and everyone’s favorite: MARKLAVA (Baklava, made by Mark). Pete and I split leading a well tracked out bushwhack from Black Pond to the Lincoln Brook Trail. We made good time on the main trail, across the three river crossings (decent ice bridges in place), to the beginning of the Brutie Bushwhack. Bobandgeri provided helpful insight as both had done this hike recently in their quest of finishing the Winter 48.

The Brutie Bushwhack offered an interesting change of pace versus the popular Slide. First, we were following someone else’s steps. Second, we didn’t need either crampons or snowshoes to do it. Finally, Pete was leading, and doing a fantastic job!

We continued up to what looks like it had been an old logging road, then up along the water line, a few zigs, and a few zags, and then up the final push to the “official” top of Owl’s Head where it appears a sign used to be. Christine, Amy, and Mark lead the final push since this was their first time up the mountain. Congratulations to all of them for their accomplishments. All of us then headed to the “new summit” for good order.

We took a short break at the “official” summit, highlighted by Yam Irish Jigs, my own strip show, and more Marklava, then started the decent down the Brutus Bushwhack. Lead by Chinooktrail, we slid, scooted, and occasionally fell down the mountain (thankfully, the landings were soft). We followed the first bushwhack to the main trail, then to the Black Pond bushwhack, back to the Black Pond Trail and over to the Wilderness Trail. Ironically, we met the same individual who we saw earlier with crampons heading to the Bonds on his way out. We took his lead, put on crampons, and did the last few miles out to Lincoln Woods. We ended the evening with a nice dinner at “The Common Man”.

Between the comfortable weather (occasional snow showers, but little wind), the new experience of the Brutie Bushwhack, the great food, and of course the wonderful company, the hike was a great success. Thanks to all those who came, and a special congratulations to Christine, Amy, and Mark, who made it to the top of Owl’s Head for their first time. WOO HOO!

Oh boy!
You had MARKLAVA too?!?

I can see a name change coming........................ :eek:

Congrats!

poison ivy said:
Hey Lenny, I think you're becoming a winter hiker (just in time for the season's end!!)

- Ivy

Maybe a next year winter's hiker. I may have finally found out how not to sweat as much (and then of course freeze afterwards) and espresso coffee beans are a great pick-me-up. We'll see about that next year.

Jamie - I'll have a few pics online late tomorrow.

Nice! Glad you all had a great day. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :)

-MEB

Of course there was Marklava! There is always plenty when you make a 5 pound pan of it. :D

It was an awesome trip despite my knee that was excruciating every time I bent it, which unfortunately was a lot.

I managed to disintegrate a carbon pole (all 3 sections...ouch) and my knee still hurts to bend, but it was an awesome day and I'd do it again in a minute. Thanks to all who went and looked after me, despite my holding everyone back, and special thanks to Geri who lent me one of her poles so I could get back to horizontal ground in one piece.

Pictures to come soon... :)

what a great hike!! and one i will always remember for obvious reasons. (wipe-out city).
great to meet the infamous bob&jeri and coldmtn and see lawn sale again. oh yeah, cool to see len and chinooktrail again, too. ;)

wish i'd gotten some pics in on this trip. next one!

Kevin,

Can't get anything past you! ;) Yes, I put the two pics from Christine's hike up Monroe with the others from Owl's head. I saw that cascade and had to grab my camera.

Regarding the possible change, what I heard from a good source was that the "two" summits will be re-evaluated and an official word will come down soon from the 4,000 footer committee. However, everyone will be grandfathered. I'm definitely not the bes person to ask and I'm sure others can explain this MUCH better than I can, but basically, the "new" summit is relatively north by northeast of the current summit. Not too far... about .2 miles, maybe less.

LenDawg said:
Regarding the possible change, what I heard from a good source was that the "two" summits will be re-evaluated and an official word will come down soon from the 4,000 footer committee. However, everyone will be grandfathered. I'm definitely not the bes person to ask and I'm sure others can explain this MUCH better than I can, but basically, the "new" summit is relatively north by northeast of the current summit. Not too far... about .2 miles, maybe less.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll look for that spot if I go back this year.

Chas.

LenDawg said:
Kevin,

Can't get anything past you! ;)
Probably easier than you think ... That particular cascade is one of my favorite places to visit in winter, so it's burned into my memory.

Kevin Rooney said:
That particular cascade is one of my favorite places to visit in winter, so it's burned into my memory.

It really is beautiful! If it had been warmer and we got there earlier, I may have stopped longer.

Lenny, thanks for the invite. I had a good time.
Very fun and well seasoned crew.

Always fun to start a hike from Lenny Woods with Lenny.