Winter pack suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to give my EMS Long Trail II a workout this winter. Was using my Kelty Redwing, but was just a bit too small to carry everything I need and had the hardest time comfortably carrying snowshoes. The fabric is pretty rugged feeling, not hydration compatable, only has a front pocket and 2 sides. It is made to accept skis, but Im not sure how snowsoes will go (though there appears to be plenty of room for me to fiddle with.) Its a very large capacity, but weighs in very reasonably.

Brian

I have a Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack 40 that survived very well last winter and has been through some heavy duty whacks as well. Flexible for attaching snowshoes, crampons, etc. It has served me well, got it on sale at mgear.com
Not sure if it is still manufactured but they make smaller and larger packs from the same series.
Damon

timmus said:
I really like their website, very cool design. I love the artwork (woodcuts prints). I will check their packs this weekend at the Mountaineer.

And thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate !

Julie

A friend has a CCW pack and is dissappointed in the performance.

If it weren't for the price, I'd recommend a McHale SARC Ultralight as it meets all the rest of the criteria. I'm sold on mine as a winter daypack. One think for sure you'll probably never need to replace it because of wear.

Modifications

Julie, If you find a pack that is almost perfect, you can have mods done to it to add straps, etc. for snowshoes or to remove or replace pockets. One company that does this is http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com. I know Penny from another site I post on and her work gets great reviews from other posters who have had her work on their gear.

the gregory alpinisto is worth checking out. nice, sturdy, comfortable top-load pack. (http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=80). Has a removable stay, which was one of my criteria when I was looking for a pack.

EMS had it on sale recently.

I agree with Bob Kittredge, take your gear into the store(s) and pack it up and try it on.

Good luck.

Winter Pack

The Alpine Lowe Contour IV (Scirocco Female version) has been superb.
It meets your criteria.
This will be my 3rd winter with it and what a difference compared to my old "freighter" as it was known.
Great fit, support, durability.

Enjoy

Scott