Winter sleeping pad?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacking

Reekee said:
Doug you're right, it doesn't make a difference with the cold but for me I slide around less on the foam than I do on the therma-rest. I do laps when I sleep. Stay warm, Reekee
Ahh yes, the blue foam has a lot more friction than a thermarest. I always put the foam on the bottom to protect the thermarest from any sharp objects on the ground.

I have one of the original thermarests, much slipperier than the more recent ones. The manufacture used to sell a friction spray.

I develped the habit of feeling the edges of the pad through my sleeping bag with my fingers to figure out where I was.

Doug

the starchild said:
i use my prolite4 and an unfolded mtn. chair.
A Prolite 4 by itself is inadequate for me in winter. I need to combine it with a closed cell pad. YMMV.

Note: the Prolite 4 has holes in the foam which save weight, but reduce the insulation value. The solid (no holes) foam self-inflating pads are warmer.

Note2: My Prolite 4 doesn't seem to inflate totally on its own--I need to add a puff or two of air. My solid form self-inflaters don't have this problem.

Doug

I was in Dick's the other day looking for a piece of gym equipment and decided to check out the backpacking section - I saw the full length ridge rests and went into sticker shock - $24.99 - For a Ridge Rest. I think the 3/4 1.5" T-Rest Prolites were only about $20 more.

My local Walmart usually has a $12 egg crate closed cell foam pad. 24" x 78".

Alot more reasonably priced than the RR's...especially the X-large Deluxe model...they are closer to $35... :eek:

A cheap ($10) 3/4 closed cell pad topped by a thermarest. I also bring a fleece blanket cut in half to line the bottom of the tent/leanto under the pad. The 3/4 pad is then used as a seat in the snow and the 1/2 blanket is in the pack in case of a chill when stopping.

You can use a combination of a short and long pad. Your torso and shoulders have the most weight and bag compression. To save weight, put down the full length pad(in my case, a Thermarest), and put a half length pad from your thighs to your shoulder. Your feet can be tucked into boot liners or the polarguard booties you wear around the tentsite and they'll stay warm. If you wear or tuck the next day's clothes under your mid to lower legs, you'll pick up more padding and insulation as well. They can be in the bag, or between the bag and the pad.
Drinking a warm beverage just before turning-in can buy extra hours of warmth, and a hot beverage in your water bottle, insulated with a sock tucked into the bag makes a nice bed-warmer also.
A good, heavy hat will make for a better nights sleep. And remember, be sure to avoid the temptation of tucking your face into the hood of the sleeping bag. Feels great, but the respiration of moisture into the bag will reduce its effectiveness.
One last little trick to sleep warmer. A full length moisture barrier bag(well under a pound) will add many degrees of warmth to your sleeping system.

Added later: My apologies for getting the thread off the original question. I'm only leaving this in case a couple of the tips might be otherwise of use.
Sorry...Peakbagr

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
A Prolite 4 by itself is inadequate for me in winter. I need to combine it with a closed cell pad. YMMV.

Note: the Prolite 4 has holes in the foam which save weight, but reduce the insulation value. The solid (no holes) foam self-inflating pads are warmer.

Note2: My Prolite 4 doesn't seem to inflate totally on its own--I need to add a puff or two of air. My solid form self-inflaters don't have this problem.

Doug

that's good to know. I've used just my prolite 4 a few time now but have yet too use it colder than say 12ish -- needless to say I was fine that night but I thik I carry an extra just in case.

I just returned from a week camping in northern Ontario. I used this pad , an Exped Downmat 9 Delux, which a wonderful spouse bought me for x-mas:
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/19207/
While expensive, it is a fantastic piece of gear and worth every cent for winter camping on snow and ice. When inflated, it is huge, thick and very comfortable. For those of us who turn a lot during the night it gives plenty of room for gymastics.

I also brought a closed cell pad, per my usual practices with a thermarest, but didn't use it or need it to stay warm. The reason why, I loaned it to another camper who also brought a downmat. Her air matress developed a leak in one of the valves.

That is the number one concern with relying on any air matress exclusively. I'll probably always be bringing a closed cell pad with me, but at least I'm not carrying two large/bulky pads in the winter.

Also, thanks to the size, I'm considering using the pad in my Speer hammock this weekend to see if the hammock is usuable in winter with this under me.

Tony

tonycc said:
Also, thanks to the size, I'm considering using the pad in my Speer hammock this weekend to see if the hammock is usuable in winter with this under me.
I have experimented with the Speer hammock at 20F. Used a 0F down bag, but I can't remember exactly what I used for a pad. Perhaps 2 3/8 blue closed cell foam pads? I might have added a thermarest. Was warm most of the nice, got a little cool by morning.

I see your pad is 20in wide--you are likely to need something wider (or have to augment the edges with something) because the hammock will wrap the pad up around you. (My cold spots were just beyond the edges of the pad.) Also sleeping with cold air flowing under you is colder than sleeping on the ground. A friend made a rig similar to Speer's peapod--essentially a tube shaped sleeping bag which puts uncompressed insulation under (and over) you.

Doug

I linked to the wrong pad above, I have the 26" version. It's like sleeping on an aircraft carrier compared to my 20" thermarest. :cool:

At 3.5" thick, I'm thinking it might be enough bottom insulation for moderate winter temperatures. I would pump it a bit fuller for use in the hammock to reduce the amount of compression and the burrito wrapping. I would also have a closed cell foam pad under me. Only one way to find out... I'll let you know how it works.

Tony

Thank you for the info. The pad looks like a feather bed. :) Please let me know how your test goes.
CS/BMT

I just went on my first winter backpacking expedition last weekend. I used a 1/2" closed cell foam pad underneath a Therm-a-rest ProLite 4, both stuffed into the pad sleeve in my Big Agnes Storm King 0* bag.

The nighttime temps were around 10*F and I was extremely warm. There was definitely no cold seeping in from underneath. After that experience I would trust the foam/Prolite combination well below where I would trust the bag itself.

I too ad my first "real" winter camping experience on Feb 25th. I used a closed cell foam pad with a self inflating mattress over it and a 30 degree bag (and wearing my long johns and socks to bed). Temps dropped to 5 degrees (said my trusty keychan thermometer) in the morning and I was warm enough. Warm enough, not toasty, not freezing.....maybe tempid is the word.

pks4000 said:
Thank you for the info. The pad looks like a feather bed. :) Please let me know how your test goes.
CS/BMT
I gave it a go this weekend. Had to drive three hours to find snow (Tug Hill Plateau), but it didn't get nearly cold enough for a good test. The temps at bedtime were around 30 degrees under clear skies, probably 40 in the morning before it started raining.

The Exped 9 Dlx worked great in the hammock. I fully inflated it and stuck it into the hammock at a slight diagonal (this is not an asym) per my usual setup, it stayed in place much better than a foam pad. I was initially concerned that raising my center of gravity might cause stability issues, this was not a problem at all.

I never felt any cold spots, the pad was very warm (like I said, the air temps weren't low enough to give it a good test). The best part was the way the pad kept the sides of the hammock from hugging me like they do with thinner pads. The typical cold spots were greatly reduced.

I am getting to like the hammock and the down pad more with every trip I take. They may become an inseparable pair.

Tony

tonycc said:
I am getting to like the hammock and the down pad more with every trip I take. They may become an inseparable pair.
Sounds interesting.

I only see two problems:
1. Weight (2 lb, 11 oz) negates much of the weight advantage of a hammock. (Might still be lighter than a tent, particularly if solo.)
2. The standard risk of a leak.

Doug

I see a lot of talk about how low the temps can go and still be comfortable on the basic two-pad system. If you are sleeping on snow, I don't think you need to worry. I have been comfortable to -5 with that combination, and suspect the snow is actually acting as an insulator at that point. Unless you're on a platform where super cold are can circulate under you, no additional insulation should be necessary... even down to -40. Does anyone have any anecdotal info to support/refute this?