Woman's Car Broken Into While Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also like to clarify my comment re: rangers and Lincoln Woods. There are real-life, full-time, gun-totin' rangers who pass thru Lincoln Woods. I know one or two of them. There's even a jerk who focuses on parking fines who swaggers around with a gun, making menacing sounds if you don't have your dog on a leash in the parking lot.

However, in my experience, I've not ever seen full-time USFS rangers at the station itself acting in a public information officer capacity. That doesn't mean they're aren't - it just means I haven't personally seen any. On several occasions I've stopped and visited with them, and as far as hiking in the Pemi is concerned, they have very little specific knowledge about anything beyond the suspension bridge.

Also - unless something has changed in the few last few months, there's no electricity out that far from Lincoln itself. And, for anyone who's gotten a predawn start or come out late, especially in winter, that parking lot is DARK!

There are a few things you could do to deter a break in. Empty all valuables before you go hiking and open all glove boxes and compartments wide open and leave a note on the dash that all valuables have been removed. This may work unless these dirt bags can't read your note. I do this every time I leave my car in a remote area. I hope those of you who have alarms set them to turn off after a while, I can't imagine 6-9 hours of an annoying alarm ringing into the woods :)

slowmo68 said:
leave a note on the dash that all valuables have been removed.
How do they know that the note is telling the truth? Maybe it is just a ruse to deter them.

Basically all you can do is to not leave anything of value in the car (to minimize your possible) loss, make the car look as empty and unattractive as possible, park in lots that seem safer, and hope.

We have had previous threads where people just wring their hands and suggest all sorts of schemes on and on for many posts. This one seems little different.

Doug

I still like the idea of leaving them a defunct credit card.
Why make it easy for them. Let them hopefully get caught trying to use it.
So many places have videos now. It's a wonderful thing.
Even if they don't get caught, at the very least you have caused them some grief.