Women's Sleeping Bags

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Women's sleeping bags (regular) say they're sized for a 5'6" person. Is that true? My daughter had a kids' bag that was supposed to fit up to 5'4", but it was too small for her when she was 5'3".

She's now 5'5", and we're wondering whether to get her a women's or a men's bag. (Looking at Mtn. Hardware 2nd Dimension and TNF Cat's Meow, if anyone has positive or negative opinions.)

I'm a 5'4" male and I use a "women's" sleeping bag....why carry the extra weight?? I love the bag...it is a Sierra Designs "Flex 3D" design..the only bag I have ever had that was comfortable for this stomach sleeper. Just a great design. The bag is women's standard (5'6") and I find it to be perfect in size.

ADK Rick

I don't have a woman's bag but wish I did. I'm 5'6" maybe, and I'm always tucking the excess bag under my feet to keep them warm. Too much air space. A woman's bag is also supposed to be insulated differently to accommodate our fair physiques. :p

TNF Cat's Meow

I borrowed my housemate's Cat's Meow for one night the weekend before last. I'm a 5'6" male and my housemate is a female about the same size. She likes the bag although she is too busy to get out much these days. I found it comfortable, maybe a little snug. I think it's a 20 degree bag and it was definitely warm, so I didn't sleep w/ the hood up. It was pretty light and packed down real nice in my compression sack. Also, it's at least a few years old, so maybe they're a little different now. I don't know if any of this helps.

Matt

i have the cat's meow... i've slept in it from conditions of 88 degrees down to 5 degrees. it's a very good bag. i'm a 5'10" male 160lbs and i find it to be a little on the snug side (but not overly so).

i work at a retail store and when a bags supposed to fit up to a certain size it's actually about 2" longer. so a 5'6" bag is really 5'8" in length but some is lost to loft. id say try out the bags because they'll definately fit to 5'6" but its a tight fit. if you really do want a women's specific bag, the 2nd dimension does come in a women's long (as does the 1st dimension). a 2nd dimension long fits to 6'. check it out at http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/mhw-2nddimension.htm it shows the mens bag but the women's is the same price as a long and the same size as a mens reg.

I own a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 degree sleeping bag. It is designed for women and comes in regular and long. I love it! Weighs in at 1 lb 6 oz. and has kept me warm even in 25 degrees! It's a bit pricey when compared to other brands, but I have yet to be disappointed with a Mountain Hardwear product. I think it is worth the extra $$.

Hey, thanks everyone! I knew I could count on VFTT, not only to give me good info but also to remind me, kindly and gently, that it's "HardWEAR", not "HardWARE". :eek:

i own TNF Blue Igloo, a 20* down women's bag, and love it. i'm a shortie, 5"1, so the bag is a little bit longer for me, but that's when i shove my clothes into the foot area in the winter to keep them warm for when i wake up. i really like this bag, have no complaints at all.

I have the Sierra Designs Dreamweaver, Tall. I'm a fairly trim 5'6" which is the upper end of the regular size. I would never have comfortably fit in regular, & yes, the models designed for women are warmer...