Better Late Than Never: Goose Eye, Mahoosuc Notch, Old Spec 5-27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
I signed up to do a Mahoosucs traverse with a meetup group-- yes I know--it’s potluck, but I am ok with that. I'd heard so much about the notch and wanted to get Old Speck for my NE 4k list, which I started recently, and, since I kinda sotra started the hundred highest too, Goose Eye as well. I convinced Randy, who I hiked with on Mansfield the weekend before, and is also working in the NE67, to join me. I needed to leave for the car spot around 4:45 but my daughter woke up at 3:30 feeling nauseous, luckily settling down after taking some antacids. Oh well, an earlier start than I had planned but what the heck.

At the meeting spot only Julie, the organizer who's from NY, Craig, a 20 something fairly new hiker, Randy and I showed up. Julie said she was too tired to do the whole hike so suggested she go in the notch trail and we catch up to her after doing Goose eye and an extra what turned out to be 7.5 miles and 4,000 ft (yeah, right). The car spot took forever since my AMC intel suggesting going around to 26 and avoiding the beginning of success pond road with a regular vehicle. We took the wrong road at first (you need North Pond, not York Pond, and by the way, and IMHO the road is fine on both sides just take it slow) and finally started the hike at close to 11 -- Randy, me, and Craig.

Screw-up number 2 (or is that already 5?): we missed the cut off for the Goose Eye trail and were following Mt Carlo trail. Randy noticed and turned us around-- the sign was easy to miss nestled in the shady hardwoods. Ok, now we are on the trail making good time on what was so far a pretty flat trail. But wait, what's that noise? Kinda of a screechy growly noise. A mother Spruce Grouse. Oh wait, she's chasing us down the trail, flapping and growling. We regroup and wait. She's still there so we try to bushwhack around. She follows us and gives chase. I'm already sick of this so I sprint for the trail and while she chases me, she doesn't catch me. I wait for Randy and Craig who try to bushwhack further around her only to receive the same treatment. Eventually they give up and run too. She comes close but doesn't catch them.

Ok, now we are finally on our way. Craig keeps a stiff pace up the steady trail through birches and then evergreens replete with lots of wildflowers. It is a beautiful day with robin's egg blue skies and only a few small wispy clouds, although the forecast is for showers late at night and a small possibility in the evening. I figure we will be off the trail by 10 or so. The trail starts to climb briskly over some ledges with great views to the exposed summit. Really incredible wilderness feel with views into Maine, the Presis, Franconia Ridge, and much more.

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8737.JPG

We only see one other person on the trail going up, and a family at the ledgey bare summit of Goose Eye. We make good time for 3.1 and 2,400 ft not including the backtrack (probably added 3/4 mile) and the grouse incident and hit the summit at 1:15. Randy and I open our food bags and start lunch. Craig pulls out some almonds. Don't you have any other food I ask? Nope he responds. Egad, we're going on a 15-mile hike and the guy has a handful of almonds? Luckily Randy and I have enough to share and we do.

We don't hang out for too long and then head for nameless peak #1, then nameless peak # 2, 3, and 4 each with hundreds of feet elevation gain and loss with ladders, rough scrambles, exposed ridge, alpine meadows, ledges, and scrubby forest between. It is really a gorgeous piece of trail, reminiscent of the Bonds or Baldfaces (or so I hear since I've never been there). Highly recommended! Really, really beautiful.

IMG_8750.JPG

IMG_8752.JPG

After 4.1 more miles we finally reach the notorious Mahoosuc Notch. I can't remember but I think it was close to 3:30 or 4. Just before our last nameless peak, I slipped on a log and fell backwards bruising and cutting my cheek (the other one) and ripping my shorts. Luckily I was well prepared with clothes etc to change into and carried by far the heaviest pack of the group with lots of extra of everything including water. The extra weight was on purpose for training for the Presi Traverse I'm doing in late June. Having a scraped and bruised butt is not a good way to start a 1.3 mile scramble! Ouch!

The notch is an amazing place, although none of us were prepared for how long it would take. It is so sheltered that there is still a lot of snow and ice in the bottom, so it feels a little like stepping into a fridge. Refreshing on a hot day! I wonder how long it lingers? Although we had to walk on it a bit, there is really not much walking at all. Instead, it is a series of large granite blocks which one climbs up, around, under, and over like an obstacle course or a jungle gym. Sometimes you have to take off your pack to squeeze through some tight spots.
IMG_8810.JPG

IMG_8811.JPG

We had a blast for the first hour. But then it got annoying as we were ready go get out of there--we knew we still had a long way to go. But it just kept going and going and going. It’s supposedly the hardest mile on the AT but it’s really more than a mile and then there is the stiff climb up to Mahoosuc Arm. It took us an hour and 45 minutes to traverse that mile and (1/4? 1/3?). Very hard on the arms and I strained a pectoral muscle hauling myself and my heavy pack up the boulders.

After we left the notch Craig set a blistering pace up the arm. Guess what, he didn't have a headlamp! Luckily I had two and Randy had two. But Craig had never traveled after dark and he was worried. I couldn't keep up at the 3 mile pace he set up that steep slope, so Randy grabbed my pack and carried it and his. I retrieved it at the top with gorgeous 360 views in the darkening sky. I took the lead and we got to Speck Pond shelter at around 8. Lots of people there and we treated water, had dinner (I bummed some for Craig) and got out the headlamps. Unfortunately, my spare lamp was out of batteries and I didn't have any extra. Randy pulled out his spare but it just wasn't bright enough to really hike with. So after a little while of walking down the trail, I convinced Craig and Randy to go back and bum some spare batteries because I DIDNT HAVE ANY. Duhhhh. I kept going in the darkening evening. It had started drizzling while we were at the campsite and the rain now became steadier. I continued on slowly and noticed my light starting to dim. Oh great. My batteries were beginning to go too! Arrgh, what an idiot! When Randy and Craig returned, I hiked between them in order to see anything. It was mostly slippery ledge and rough scrambles. Very slow going in the rain and dark and the mile and a half to the top took us over 2 hrs. We submitted about 10:50 pm. I was still feeling strong and surprisingly happy despite all the mishaps and late hour. We had snacks and took a summit picture.

IMG_8814.JPG

Now for the 3.5 mile descent. I traded my now dead lamp for Randy's spare, but it wasn't much better so I had to stay between the two guys to see anything. We lost the trail a couple of times, struggled on slippery rocks and ledges, and cursed the PUDs. The rain became fairly hard at times, otherwise a drizzle. I struggled with not being able to see and being alternately wet and overheated. But we finally made it down at 12:50 am! Tired but in one piece. But my car was 45 minutes away. We were overjoyed to be in a car though and it actually went pretty quickly and was complete with Moose running in the headlights in front of us. Only when we stopped did it divert from the road and into the brush. At my car at 1:45 I was in no condition to drive so I rolled out my mat and sleeping bag and didn't open my eyes 'til 6:45-- in time to drive to Twin Mountain for breakfast and the long ride home. Turns out Randy couldn't make it far either and slept in Grafton Notch for two hours, then dropped Craig in Gorham, and then drove to Vt and hiked Camels Hump. The animal! I was a basket case all day and into the next.

A very worthy hike and a lot of fun, but at 16 miles and over 6,000 ft of elevation gain not one to start at 11:00 am, especially without working headlamps and spare batteries!!!! Lesson learned.

All the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/phwilmot/Mahoosucs52712#

Nice job on making do with what you had. Remember though (before others start bashing meetup here on VFTT) not all meetup groups are created equal. :D

Yes, such a long hike should probably be started before 11 AM but what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. :)

Last edited:
Great post! Am signed up for Goose Eye and Mt. Carlo AMC hike (Boston Chapter) on the 23rd and hope we have less surprises. Pepp

I hope you have a great day,Dolores, it's a really beautiful area, well worth the trip! And I'm sure you'll have less surprises ;)

Nice job on making do with what you had... Remember though (before others start bashing meetup here on VFTT) not all meetup groups are created equal. :D

Yes, such a long hike should probably be started before 11 AM but what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. :)

Thanks Michael. As you know I'm a big fan of certain meetup groups. Others are kinda like a blind date -- sometimes great, sometimes not so great. If you are prepared, it's ok. For me the lesson of this hike was not about meetup or even about a late start, it was about testing your batteries in advance of the hike (I could sworn I changed both last month!!) and bringing extra (food, clothes, batteries, lamps, etc) so that you can help others who are less prepared and yourself when something goes wrong.

Pam: Perhaps I misunderstood your route - but it seems to me that starting out at Success trail head, hitting Old Speck, and then coming out Speck Pond trail head is more like 20 miles even without a little back and forth. If so, another moral might be "trust, but verify".

Anyhow, thanks for an enjoyable report and some great pics. I'm looking forward to hiking the traverse with you in 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So did you end up meeting up with the woman again that day?

Those grouse can be territorial, eh??** We never actually struck the bird in this clip, just trying to fend it off using scare tactics to no avail. We did get around it and off West Osceola, but not before being chased and I got pecked in the head!! West Osceola doesn't exactly have a ton of room to run, but somehow we had to through the spruce. :)

**Oh and please pardon the language, we were in a small pickle. :D

Last edited:
I loved this area when I did it - although I did Goose Eye and Carlo (and had a similar encounter with a spruce grouse). Next time I go back I want to include Success as well..

Tim

Great trip report..........very well written!! What an adventure! (I've been chased by a mother spruce grouse before too, they are nasty and out for blood and the only thing that works (for me) is to just ruuuuuuuuuuuuun!) Beautiful and rugged terrain in there for sure........but it sounds like through it all, you still had a blast! That's great!

Wow, that's a serious hike/mileage to do with a heavy pack. Must have been absolutely gorgeous at first and then absolutely frustrating to deal with with rain/dark. Hope your haunches heal soon!

Great pics too.

Man, I love this area so much...

I must. get back. to Goose Eye. Soon.

If you pulled off that day, you are well qualified for a presi traverse or a Bonds traverse. As far as I can determine, the Mahoosucs are the longest stretch of the AT north of the Smokies with no road crossings (public or private). I agree with your assessent of the ridgeline from Goooseye to Full Goose.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Tim, Michelle, Unstrung, and Peakbagger. I did have a blast for all but the last hour and a half or so and even that was OK--- not great, but not torturous either. As for the Presi traverse, I'm definitely feeling more confident after this hike. We will have hiked 6.5 hrs on the traverse before 11:00 when this one started! There may be 4 more miles and about 3,000 ft, but most of the hard stuff will be over in the morning, and we won't be hiking after midnight!

The Mahoosucs are really an amazing area and I'm already thinking of getting back there to do the beginning of the range through Goose Eye. Although I didn't actually see anything other than distant lights from Old Speck;) so maybe I'll have to do it all again.

Pam, have you done Horn and Bulge? Bob J is leading an AMC hike on the 16th and he has room. Also, Rich and I are doing N/S Weeks at some point but not this weekend. I am thinking it will be too wet up the York Pond trail. We'll hike Baldpate instead.

I have to keep my eye out for grouse when we do Gooseye! Birds in general don't like me, even as a kid chickens would attack me - never could figure out why.

Oh, and I just went to EMS to buy a second head lamp - you're report was inspiring! Dolores

Pam, have you done Horn and Bulge? Bob J is leading an AMC hike on the 16th and he has room. Also, Rich and I are doing N/S Weeks at some point but not this weekend. I am thinking it will be too wet up the York Pond trail. We'll hike Baldpate instead.

I have to keep my eye out for grouse when we do Gooseye! Birds in general don't like me, even as a kid chickens would attack me - never could figure out why.

Oh, and I just went to EMS to buy a second head lamp - you're report was inspiring! Dolores

I haven't done any of those peaks and would love to-- just have my weekends full until after the traverse on June 23/24. It would be great to join you guys sometime, especially on a grouse-infested trail. You could be the sacrificial hiker;) leaving the way clear for others (kidding). Isn't it strange how animals react to certain folks??:confused: And I'm glad I could provide an object lesson on preparedness, seems like there's a lot of those around these days although perhaps my example of what not to do strikes a little closer to home.

Wow, what an adventure you guys had. Glad you made it safe and sound. Gorgeous photos and a terrific trip report.

Thanks NH Tramper! It was indeed a grand adventure!