women's winter hiking boot suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely try the vapor barrier method probably starting with bread bags just to see how they work for me. No way I want plastic boots which leaves me off some AMC hikes, unfortunately (yes, some of these old-school guys are still insisting on plastic boots but I'd better not go there ...) I'll check out Zappos because there are no stores that I know of where I can walk in and try on boots. I'm in Southern California right now.

A few suggestions, consider vapor barrier socks, you can get rid of a lot of bulk if you uses VBLs. I have a nice new pair from RBH designs that look good and feel good. I just wish I had them when I ordered my boots as they do take up some boot space. FOr cold weathe multiday trips VBLs save a lot of evening boot drying.

Whatever you do bring your gear with you to the shoe store and make sure everything fits either that or order them from somewhere with free returns like Zappos.

Some folks can tolerate the older sorel boots but there are far better choices out there.

I had plastic boots and snap on crampons, I used them on occasion but realistically they were overkill for winter 48 hikes. For most people, plan on them cutting your mileage per day by 20 to 30%. They are uncomfortable and make for an odd gait whihc get tiring. Especially with the recent low snow winters, they are miserable on bare ground.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked at them on campmor and it says they're rated to 35F rather than -35F. Not sure if it's a typo or if I just need stronger glasses. : )

The Sorels are rated to -100F which is very appealing to me but obviously useless if I can't get crampons on them. or snowshoes. or if they're just not intended for hiking.

It has to be a typo. I checked the Garmont site and it states 35 but I am certain this is a typo. I had called them prior to making my purchase because I wanted to be sure I bought those insulated to -35. I went over each boot with them. I still have my tags on the pair I recently purchased. It states -35 IN BOLD BLUE LETTERS AND ON THE REVERSE "TESTED TO -35". I think I will call Garmont tomorrow and let them know because the need to correct that if they want to sell their boots.

This is a good website. http://www.utahoutside.com/2011/01/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx-winter-boots-review/
He mentions a few "fitting" problem with his. I had no problems with mine. The fit like gloves and felt like slippers.

Last edited:
yes, saw that it is a typo from info on another website. Thanks again for the info and good review. I'm a fan of many things Italian so that's another plus!

Ciao,
Beth

It has to be a typo. I checked the Garmont site and it states 35 but I am certain this is a typo. I had called them prior to making my purchase because I wanted to be sure I bought those insulated to -35. I went over each boot with them. I still have my tags on the pair I recently purchased. It states -35 IN BOLD BLUE LETTERS AND ON THE REVERSE "TESTED TO -35". I think I will call Garmont tomorrow and let them know because the need to correct that if they want to sell their boots.

This is a good website. http://www.utahoutside.com/2011/01/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx-winter-boots-review/
He mentions a few "fitting" problem with his. I had no problems with mine. The fit like gloves and felt like slippers.

Had never heard of vapor barrier "socks" until I took my OB course. They were mandatory gear.
They worked very will in those bitter cold temps and our boots were insulated to -40. Another requirement. I had Sorel Bear boots.
This was different than hiking in the Whites in the sense that we did not need crampons. We used skis, dog sleds, and snowshoes.

That being said I like my Garmont's much better than my Sorel's. Certainly not as clunky.

I have the Garmonts, too and now that they're broken in and I've got the correct sock system that works for me (finally fixed that this season!), they're pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of boots personally, but for the winter I need them. I wore them on AMC trips last winter and didn't have any problems with going on the hike. As far as the cold rating, I've worn them in -40 below and colder and that was pushing the limits of the boot because that was the only time my feet have been cold. Of course, the rest of me was pretty cold, too!

I looked on the salomon website and don't see these boots so I'm guessing they are no longer available. I don't see winter specs on them on other websites (closeout boot). What I am looking for in a winter boot is at least 400 grams of insulation and rated to -40 degrees. Like another poster said, it depends on what you are planning to hike in winter.

another newbie.

Total newbie question: Has anyone used the Salomon GTX Fastpacker boots? Or are those totally not enough boot for winter?

Check out Cabela's Avalanche boots. They have both a men's and women's model. Currently they're listed at full price ($99) and often are on sale. I'm on my second pair, as are many of my winter hiking friends.

We are Cabela hikers! Warm, comfortable, hold up well, reasonably priced. Kevin led us in the right direction and we're really satisfied.

Just got off the phone from talking to Garmont USA. They were very grateful that I took the time to notify them of the typo 35 vs -35 problem.
I was the first to let them know and they will be correcting their web site prompto, and calling Campmor to ask them to do the same.
The USA site is only a few months old and somehow the - was not included when they wrote the boot description.
All's well that ends well! :)

For super cold conditions, I wear plastic boots--women's Koflachs--but they are at least 15 years old now. They are certainly more geared to mountaineering (I used them to climb Mont Blanc and Mt Hood, eg) than "regular" hiking but I wear them doing winter 4000 footers here too. Stiff soles take my full point step-in crampons well and also work with snowshoes.

Since I don't do so much winter hiking, they haven't worn out yet. In my opinion you just can't beat plastic (with liners) boots for long days in snow and cold. Granted, they aren't super comfortable since they never truly "break in" but for me the guaranteed warmth more than makes up for any discomfort.

I'm retiring my size 10 Garmont winter boot, as it is too narrow for my wide toed feet. Too bad, as I love the light weight and the warmth.

My replacement is the 400 gram insulation Keen boot from the men's department at Cabellas, priced at $79.99. I looked at the woman's Avalanche model and they were also too narrow. All of their boots are D-width.

I then asked the clerk who was helping me about the men's model, and he responded that they weren't as nice looking. I said I didn't really care if they were nice looking or not, as long as they fit me.While in the men's department, I noticed the Keen, and am bought them for what the Avalanche was on sale in the online store. They are lighter than the Avalanche; I hope they hold up as well. They appear to be well made and I can attest that they are warm when it is 40 degrees out. (ha!)

Regarding pricing, the salesman said the store would honor the online catalog price over the instore price, a $20 savings on the Avalanche. The online store said otherwise.

Last edited:
I just bought these, thanks for the reference and look forward to testing them out this weekend 12-8/9. I will post back on my first experience with them. I will wear them a few nights walking this week first.
Last year I hiked in the less aggressive version of Garmont Momentum's, and I believe they are insulated to 15 degrees.

Needed to upgrade because of my orthotics so this year so I went with the Garmont Momentum SNOW VERSION. Insulated to -35. Got the men's version for I believe Amazon at a nice price. The web link here is from Campmor. If you are looking, keep in mind the key word is snow because Garmont has several winter boots.

http://www.campmor.com/garmont-mome...i_sku=15343BLK7.5M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Never had a problems with the ones I wore last year but wanted extra insurance for very low temps.

Wore then most every day when hiking with Molly and I had Hillsound Pro crampons on for several months. Someone helped me to adjust them properly and I was good to go. Because it was so icy where I hiked I didn't take them off 'til spring. My feet were never cold.

Why I went with Garmonts is because they are light as feathers, super comfy, give great support, have many 5 star ratings, and the first time around I had to really search because they were all sold out. That is a very good sign. First became acquainted with them on VFFT and never regretted buying this boot. In fact come warmer weather, I recall feeling sad because I had to put them away for several months.

ELLEN...did you try the Garmont in men's size? I up to a 10.5 men's this year because of the new orthotics. I have door knob size bunions and hammer toes so I really need the width in my boots. Wish it would snow.

Just hopped on to this thread and I got the Garmonts winter boot Momentum GTX last year because it was incredibly inexpensive. Prior to that I hiked in Bugaboots but found that after 6 miles my feet weren't having fun. I plan to start my winter 4ks (with Ellozy's easy 8) and wonder if the Garmonts work okay with BD Contact crampons. They are a bit stiffer than my summer boot but I wouldn't call them a stiff boot.

I didn't, Maddy. At the time of my purchase I was a little intimidated by the salesman at EMS who said I was buying too large a boot for my foot, according to their scale. I went back in last week and was shown a different way of lacing and it was suggested I put shoe stretchers in to see if I could widen the toe area. Because the boot is made of leather, it should give. He said my foot measured 8.5 and I always wear a 9.5 to 10. My Garmonts are size 10. To be forthcoming, this isn't the EMS store I usually frequent, but had made the purchase based on someone's strong praise for the salesman. Also, my local favorite EMS didn't have the boot in stock and I wanted it immediately. (Patience, Ellen, patience.)

Other than chronic Lyme disease I am in fine health, but with Lyme, that means that pains (including in the feet) can come and go. Last year I gave these boots more than a fair chance. I tried them again a week ago and realized I couldn't do that to myself again. As John Wayne said, "That's enough whining. Go and saddle up!"

I didn't, Maddy. At the time of my purchase I was a little intimidated by the salesman at EMS who said I was buying too large a boot for my foot, according to their scale. I went back in last week and was shown a different way of lacing and it was suggested I put shoe stretchers in to see if I could widen the toe area. Because the boot is made of leather, it should give. He said my foot measured 8.5 and I always wear a 9.5 to 10. My Garmonts are size 10. To be forthcoming, this isn't the EMS store I usually frequent, but had made the purchase based on someone's strong praise for the salesman. Also, my local favorite EMS didn't have the boot in stock and I wanted it immediately. (Patience, Ellen, patience.)

Other than chronic Lyme disease I am in fine health, but with Lyme, that means that pains (including in the feet) can come and go. Last year I gave these boots more than a fair chance. I tried them again a week ago and realized I couldn't do that to myself again. As John Wayne said, "That's enough whining. Go and saddle up!"

I no longer pay attention to anyone who says this to me. I have spent and wasted so much money buying shoes that do not fit because I believed them.
I sometimes wear different socks for different shoes but I learned the hard way to make my own decision about what fits and what doesn't. They mean well but we know our own feet and I think because we are hikers, we know them better than most.

I love your John Wayne quote. :)

"As John Wayne said, "That's enough whining. Go and saddle up!""

"I love your John Wayne quote."

Excellent! Stand tall, ladies. I always value your posts. Take no BS from anyone!

Just hopped on to this thread and I got the Garmonts winter boot Momentum GTX last year because it was incredibly inexpensive. Prior to that I hiked in Bugaboots but found that after 6 miles my feet weren't having fun. I plan to start my winter 4ks (with Ellozy's easy 8) and wonder if the Garmonts work okay with BD Contact crampons. They are a bit stiffer than my summer boot but I wouldn't call them a stiff boot.

I've worn them with the BD Contact Strap crampons with no problems. You're right, the Garmonts are not as stiff as a true mountaineering boot, but the crampons work fine for me.

Went I went into EMS on Saturday last, I brought my sock liners and 2 different thicknesses of wool/smart wool socks and my insoles to try in the Garmont Momentum GTX's so that I would get the right fit. I will find out when I head to the hills this weekend. I will come back and post my results. Great thread!:)