Wonalancet/Hibbard/Square Ledge 11-23-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
20131123-0032.jpg

Ice Along Wonalancet Range Trail

Wonalancet 2760' /Hibbard 3140' /Square Ledge 2550'

Wonalancet Range Trail/Walden Trail/Square Ledge Trail/Old Mast Road

9.1 Miles 2900' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy, Linda, David and Blue

Got a chance to get out with friends again. It promised to be a cold day in the mountains, and it was, but not all that bad considering. There were ice-flows along the trail, but all of the hike was under 3000' so there was little snow where we ventured, but when we caught glimpses of the higher elevations surrounding us they appeared to be firmly ensconced in winter. The parking area at Ferncroft was full when we got there, but we saw very few hikers along our chosen route. Blue had spent the night with us and did his usual happy romp when he realized Linda and David had pulled into the parking lot as well. As others gathered for hikes to the more popular summits of Passaconaway and Whiteface, we shouldered our gear and headed north along the Old Mast Road, quickly coming to the junction and turning west on the Wonalancet Range Trail.

20131123-0015.jpg

Some Icy Sections

Judy and I had been with Emma up and down this trail before, a long time ago in winter, our first snowshoe hike in the mountains. We had chosen this short loop over Wonalancet for its low altitude, length and proximity to our home on a less than stellar January day in 2003. Today we would lengthen the route considerably by visiting Mount Hibbard and Square Ledge to knock off a few of the 52 With A View summits left on our list, the others agreed to join us. The air was crisp and despite blue sky overhead we could see random, lonely snowflakes riding the gusting breezes. We started up through the open hardwoods and as we rose to steeper terrain we began to encounter ice-flows on many rocks along the trail. There had been a good deal of seepage from rain and freeze/melt over the past few days and things were now frozen up nicely.

20131123-0026.jpg

Blue Finds Some Snow to Roll In

Although prepared with microspikes we never donned them, each time facing an obstacle of ice covered trail we found a way to sneak around or over. Most notably descending eastward from Mount Hibbard on the Walden Trail which required a short 'whack to avoid an icy scramble. After the difficult descent along the Walden Trail we momentarily discussed whether to continue our course to Square Ledge as well, not knowing the trail and what else we might encounter, but we quickly decided to forge on. After the previous trail the Square Ledge Trail was a breeze and we soon saw the huge mass of Square Ledge looming before us. Although it appeared from our standpoint below that it would be a tough scramble it proved less taxing than anticipated. At the outlook I did my usual step to the edge to get an idea of the drop and as I quickly stepped backwards and away I tried desperately to swallow my heart. Unlike others I have been to, this one spooked me. A good 200' drop with maybe a bounce or two. We got our views and quickly slipped back down the scramble to level ground below the cliff. A really awesome spot!

20131123-0020.jpg

More Ice

Our trip back out went smoothly, though Blue had lost his blaze coat bounding off trail on one of his many forays into the woods earlier in the day. We soon had covered the mile and a half back to the junction with the Walden and Old Mast trails. As promised to me by a knowledgable fellow, the Old Mast Road was a dream to descend after a long day of cold ups and downs, literally, just a walk out of the woods. Five left on our 52WAV list, not that we're hiking for lists…

20131123-0070.jpg

View Up to Square Ledge

Full set of pice HERE:

KDT

Understood. But just so you know, I've always got coffee and Geneva is always up for some tummy rubs from you and Judy!

It's not a bushwhack... It's just east of Wonalancet/Ranger and Walden on Walden... I have been exploring the sub-4K realm in NH lately looking for new places to go (some smaller ones with Gryffin, for example) and some of these come to mind. Others, like your loop + Hedehog/Wonalancet and maybe even Paugus would make for a nice full-day hike, I think (these 5 would be way too much for him at this point.)

Tim

Thank you, Christine! We will be back in the neighborhood soon, Blue "needs" Passaconaway! :) @Tim-Yes, a lot of miles over rugged terrain and would make a great all day hike, too much at once for the Gryffinator just yet, but soon!

KDT

It's not a bushwhack... It's just east of Wonalancet/Ranger and Walden on Walden... I have been exploring the sub-4K realm in NH lately looking for new places to go (some smaller ones with Gryffin, for example) and some of these come to mind. Others, like your loop + Hedehog/Wonalancet and maybe even Paugus would make for a nice full-day hike, I think (these 5 would be way too much for him at this point.)/QUOTE]

I was in the area this summer I don't think they could have skipped Wonalancet Hedgehog as I believe the trail goes right over the peak (although you need to take the spurs, which are marked 'View' (and easy to miss, especially the one on the north side of the trail with views to the east) to get the full views.

Tim, a nice (but long) hike would be to go up the Old Paugus Trail (top part is fairly rugged, not sure about lower part), down Lawrence Trail (really nice trail), Square Ledge (east to west, via Walden), then down Wonalancet Range to Ferncroft. I don't have my book, but I would guess that is around 15-18 miles and 3500'-4500'. :)

We stopped at a viewpoint spur on both the WRT and on the Walden. Both had precipitous drops but good views south and east. So, I guess we can claim Wonalancet Hedgehog after all…

KDT

We stopped at a viewpoint spur on both the WRT and on the Walden. Both had precipitous drops but good views south and east. So, I guess we can claim Wonalancet Hedgehog after all…

Nice work! That .25 mile spur is pretty quick and easy and well worth it - that one is definitely quite a drop (and a nice view of what you came over to get there).

So, more elevation gain than Mount Washington or Adams, and a longer hike than most routes to either… so that's why they have to be on a list, because after all, if you do that much work it should count towards something!

KDT