Worst Case Scenario

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When large animals are concerned, I've read that if the collision is inevitable, you should release the brakes at the last moment, so the car is not nosing down. This will help keep the animal from coming up over the hood. No guarantees, but it might help...

It's useful to have these conversations from time to time. The more you think about possible what-if scenarios, the more prepared you will be if it ever comes to pass.

Speaking of which, next summer Laurie and I are going to Colorado, and we are reading about 'Mountain Lion Safety'! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
When large animals are concerned, I've read that if the collision is inevitable, you should release the brakes at the last moment, so the car is not nosing down. This will help keep the animal from coming up over the hood. No guarantees, but it might help...
Moose are too tall for it to make any difference.

Speaking of which, next summer Laurie and I are going to Colorado, and we are reading about 'Mountain Lion Safety'! :eek:
You are much more likely to be injured by a moose...

Doug

That game gets me angry...

The game you speak of pisses me off. I played it once with the members of a Adventure Camp I ran. I thought it would be fun and that it would teach some basics of survival. NOT...

The game had some major flaws...

Anyway.

1 - I knew a guy a (co-worker) who was driving with one of this friends in a CRX a very small car. They hit a moose and where severally injured. The moose squished the roof of the car and his face. I don't think his air bag would have done much good. Leaning over might be the best bet, but 150' feet might be enough time to at least attempt to avoid hitting the moose. I don't think I would just give up and lean over. I would attempt to avoid first and then at the last second decide if I had to lean over or avoided it enough to get by.

2 - I too would hide behind the cabin out of the wind. Get some good warm food and drink into me. Then hike back to my car.

Here is my WORST CASE

1 - In a total white out, goggles frozen over, all mountainering gear you might have on a winter hike up Mt. Washington. Your up past Lion's Head and you can't find your way, you can not see 3 feet! You are next to a carin, you can not see the last or the next one, the wind has sweeped over the trail... This one should be easy!

The idea for this thread came about as I was reading Forestgnomes post on slowing down and following the speed limit. I never had the notion it could actually "piss off" someone. I did think "it would be fun and that it would teach some basics of survival."

1.) I do not know the best answer for this, but the speed limit on 93 through Franconia notch is only 45 and some folks mentioned that. In other words, please think about slowing down before you get in trouble. Last year, I missed a moose on Route 16 up near Errol, even though she trundled out about 30 front of me. I was going only about 40 mph and slamming on the brakes did the trick.

Back to the problem, it seems to me that if you aimed for the hindquarters of the moose and ducked at the last second it might help your chances of survival. It keeps you on the road (more or less) and you are aimed at the least massive part of the animal.

2.) This one was a varient of one I heard on the radio a few months ago. I guess I should have realized my set of conditions were much too wimpy for this crowd.

Anyway, it is much better and safer to you to kick the door in by slamming your foot at or near the latch which is the weakest, thinest part of the door frame. Do not try to slam your shoulder against the middle of the door, the in this case force is distributed to the latch and the hinges. Most likely it will injure your shoulder.

Paradox said:
I never had the notion it could actually "piss off" someone...
Not your thread, that old game.

BrentD22 said:
Here is my WORST CASE

1 - In a total white out, goggles frozen over, all mountainering gear you might have on a winter hike up Mt. Washington. Your up past Lion's Head and you can't find your way, you can not see 3 feet! You are next to a carin, you can not see the last or the next one, the wind has sweeped over the trail... This one should be easy!
I'm solo ? With 100' of cord, GPS or just compass ? What model Swiss Army Knife am I carrying ? Any cell phone coverage ?

Chip said:
Not your thread, that old game.

I'm solo ? With 100' of cord, GPS or just compass ? What model Swiss Army Knife am I carrying ? Any cell phone coverage ?

With the rope I would hang myself - with the knife, it is hari kari...
I would hopefully never attempt to be anywhere near that situation...but that is my comort, or lack of comfort level...

BrentD22 said:
This one reminds me of the speed limit through Franconia Notch. In other words checking the weather before you get into trouble is always the best preparation. But, back to the problem: I feel it is always best to go down. If I had my GPS and it was working I would follow my track back down. Probably favoring staying to the North so that I would not risk getting to close to the steep northern cliffs of Tuckerman Ravine. If I had only a compass I would head ENE, hoping to get below the treeline before I hunkered down. This on is rather tough: with three foot visibility I cannot even see my waist.

I agree that going down is necessary, but -- assuming you can figure out which way truly is down -- you still have things to worry about besides Tuck's rim. For example, head too far north on a ENE compass bearing and you might wander down into that next drainage (I forgot the name) which can be avalanche prone.

I try to keep a list of back bearings written down and accessible so that I can use those if need be.

In fact, it's funny; it's been years since I've done the Lion's Head in winter, but the back bearings still stick roughly in my mind. It's almost due south off the summit cone, then almost due east, but you need to swing something like 15 degrees north of east to avoid the rim. Then you need to swing back south of east to hit treeline with the trail.

Just don't ask me to remember if those are true or magnetic!

We actually have a moose drill in our car ... first one to see a moose yells "moose"! Don't yell "duck", it'll have everyone looking up through the sun roof and that would be disasterous. :eek: ... the things we do for entertainment on those long rides ...

When in possible moose crossings, as noted by the road signs and by roadside bogs etc., I slow to 45-55 mph and brighten up the edges of the roads with my fog lamps. Don't have airbags but do have ABS and when I come upon a moose I break hard since they can be unpredictable. Never had to actually duck but if a collison were imminent, that's what I'd do.

As for the cabin, 5 miles back in some conditions could be a poor choice so if necessary, I'd seek a way in. Now, if that door were barred on the inside, it would have to mean there is another means of egress so I'd seek that out as the weak link in security. There would be no way of knowing if the door is barred from the inside (without breaking in) but in most construction, breaking down a shutter and entering through a window would be easier, less permanently damaging than the door and likely will expose the cabin to less of the weather that forced you inside.

Last edited:
Moose...What Moose....OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

1) Hit your brakes at hard as you can and aim for the back of the moose. The animal will always travel forwards. I have never heard of a moose backing up. Most of the time they will stand there and stare at you. DUH.

2) Light the cabin on fire. :D

hehehe!

Thanks for the morning laugh.

I would expect nothing less from someone who has Opus as an avitar.

:)

Re: Worse Case Scenario

I nearly hit a bull moose in August on Rt 3 just west of Twin Mountain (right about the Last Chance Cabins). I was heading east and expecting something - driving slow (50mph) with my high beams on as well as my fog lights. I was scanning the sides of the road - but was travelling solo - no cars in front of me. I passed a group of cars headed west and all of a sudden this guy just materialized. Initial reaction was "moose, big freakin moose" my second reaction was to slam on the brakes. The intermittent squeeling of the brakes got him moving and I just missed his hind end. I didn't even think to swerve. I was shook up. On my way back that evening there was o moose on the edge of the road as well, could barely see it. I will drive much slower after dark in the future.