Xmas gift help - GPS unit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Holdstrong

I love my parents.

They went out this xmas and hooked me up with this - Garmin Etrex Vista

Unsolicited too, I'm very psyched.... yet very in the dark. I know next to nothing about GPS units. Their features, what to look for, whether this is a nice unit, etc etc etc

Basically I was given the unit and the gift receipt and told that they bought the one that looked nice and that the guy at the store recommended...and now it was my job to decide if it was the one I wanted. Well, of course, as any self respecting gear head, it is now time to obsess over it and figure out if this is in fact the model for me or if I should consider another one.

That's where I was hoping you could help me out. I suspect the real answers will be "it depends on what you want to use it for" - to which my reply is, "well crud, I dont know... what can I use it for?" :)

As you can see I really am in the dark. It's the one major piece of climbing technology I've avoided digging into over the years (strange since I am an IT manager - ya'd think these would be right up my alley.... which I bet it will be once I dive in) - so I am hoping for some general advice about this unit and if I should consider an upgrade/downgrade.

Thanks! And I hope your holidays were awesome too!

(ps: It'd be fun to hear what hiking stuff everyone else got too)

Last edited:
My son and I have both recently gotten interested in GPS. We both did extensive independent research and came up with the etrex vista as our #1 choice. It seems to have all the required features and it is a nice size. I would be interested in finding out how difficult it is to master. I don't want it to be one of those things you buy but never use. I would defintely purchase the instructional CD as well as the map cd's that are available.

Holdstrong, #1 - I only wish my parents loved me so much :). #2 - Depends on what you use it for ;).

Seriously, I have the Vista, and I love mine. I use it for any number of things. Routefinding, tinkering, etc. I must confess, I can never say it has "saved my life" before, but it certainly has made for a lot less aimless wandering (that I wasn't intending). I also bought the topo software that is a companion item (for $100) and you might want to consider that also. With it, it puts an entire digital topo map in my hands.

As for uses, I find them to be wide and varied. I use it quite heavily on bushwhacks in heavy cover and at other times it helped me find exactly where I tossed my pack in the woods when I "ditched it" there. Other times it's helped me tinker through an otherwise boring section of trail. I've also used it to "shut the kids up", by letting them tinker with it on an otherwise boring section of trail :eek: . I find the Altimeter and Topo map features the most helpful for me, and I actually rarely use the compass feature much. I have goofed around with it and found that it has been just as accurate as my handheld one when I've compared the two against each other (I'd never leave the handheld home though).

Sorry this sounds disjointed, but its pretty hard to convey into a few short sentances because the uses are pretty endless. You certainly don't NEED it for any one of them, but it's a fun toy and "gadget" that was well worth the "price of admission". I've also found it has been pretty realiable tool too (particulatly bushwhacking) when I needed it for specific tasks (i.e. finding my way). I don't always use it, but always carry it.

Have fun with it.

Last edited:
Holdstrong,

I am with Tim on his comments. I got my Vista about 14 months ago and it has been an absolute blast. I sometimes marvel that that tiny receiver can pick up those satellite signals so far away and calculate exactly where I am. I have noted that it slows me down on the trail when I play with it, so you might find that on group dayhiikes where you pound out the miles with few breaks, you won't have fun, but otherwise the sky's the limit (sorry for the pun)

Since your self admitted IT junkie, I would probably skip the learning video, but would check the local library for a book on basic GPSing.

Like anything else, you might want to pick up the accoutrements to increase your flexibility in learning and playing with it:
Car/Bike Mount ~ $40
Cable to Computer ~$40
Software ~$200

I recommend 2 software packages -
the First, you will need in order to load topo basemaps to your Vista - It is Garmin's Topo. I wouldn't bother with anything else that they make, other than Topo. This will load most all streets & roads, many major trails, all topo features (lakes, streams, mountans, hills) and many town features as well. This turns that very sketchy preloaded basemap that currently resides on your machine into a super sleek map of whatever area you are in.

The second software package is National Geographic Topo!. The NE Edition contains all the New England States, (including NY & NJ) and is actually imaged 1/24 topo maps, so you are getting an incredible deal for $99. The Garmin Topo doesn't image the maps, I thinnk their term is "vectoring" and in comparison have very little to look at in their software, though it looks great and has much detail when loaded to your Vista.

Note: I use the Garmin Topo is only for downloading basemaps (But it includes the entire US) and the NatGeo Topo! for routefinding, playing, uploading and downloading waypoints and such. It has extreme clarity.

You will also need rechargeable batteries. Walmart has a 30 minute energizer charger that I picked up for less than $20 with 4 batteries. You will want to check the milliamp capability of the batteries as there are increasingly stronger better batteries available. I originally started with 1650 double As and now can get 2450 milliamp batteries, which last at least 40% longer.

Finally, in learning how to us my GPS, I took it everywhere - especially in my car on backroads (not in heavy traffic).

Good luck
Rick

I will follow this thread with great interest because my parents MADE me get a GPS when I drove across the country alone and I have concluded that FOR ME it is a piece of junk :D After much research, I got a Garmin Vista and it looked so very cool BUT . . .

I am more of a map and compass kind of girl and I have had a VERY difficult time with this piece of "gear" It doesn't pick up signals quickly and I can't for the life of me "get into" playing and learning how to get it to work for me.

I of course didn't load any software onto it even though my dear friend SherpaK did his best to help me out (sorry Sherp, I am LAZY when it comes to this GPS).

Needless to say, it has been used a handful of times, I paid full price for it, OUCH !!!! and it has been sitting around gathering dust. I have been thinking about either returning it or selling it BUT the little voice inside my head says "just give it a chance" . . .

Anyway, I usually don't read the GPS threads because I hate that thing so much it irks me BUT this time I shall . . .

sli74

1) I have the eTrex Summit (love it, use it, and it definitely is a good tool to supplement map and compass skills), but would have bought the Vista is cash was no issue at the time.
2) Today, again if money was no object, I would get the Garmin GPSMAP76CS (but it's nearly $600!), GPSMAP60CS (~$535), or VistaC (~$425)
3) sli74 - I sill love ya ;)

Now, back to the eTrex Summit. I like it for long battery life (with the compass shut off), size, price. It comes with an altimeter, electronic compass, and more tracklog points than the eTrex. That's what the extra $100 buys you, and it is worth it. Get the carry case and place it on your shoulder strap to improve signal capture. I would not give mine up.

EDIT: holdstrong: I missed that you got the Vista, so you got unbiased info from me. Keep the Vista, get a Carry Case. Kiss your Mom and Dad. They did great!

Last edited:
As a warning up front, I'm not a GPS guy, but you should check out geocaching. It sounds like fun. The only times I've wanted a GPS in the woods is when I'm trying to bushwhack to a particular point. Sometimes I get off my compass bearing, and I wish I could put in my destination to get a new bearing. If I'm trying to get a bearing from a road to a point, sometimes I don't know exactly where I am on the road to start the bearing. Perhaps a GPS could help there.

Good Luck, and have fun!

It sounds like you have the plain jane etrex, not the vista, correct? This is a basic model which does not have mapping capabilities. You can check out all of the garmin models here. The etrex also does not have an electronic compass, it will tell you which direction you are walking.

I have the Rhino 110, which has the same capabilities, but with a built in FRS radio. The radio has come in handy during hunting season to stay in touch with my buddies, and the GPS tracks help me know where I am on my wandering through the woods.

That being said, I'm not sure how much I would use the mapping features. The one thing I miss is the ability to download my tracks and overlay them on eclectronic maps such as was done here. Certainly not needed, but a fun diversion.

I have to admit, I don't find GPS all that useful. I wouldn't go into the woods without a paper map and compass, so I tend to leave it home. I have found helpful for peak bagging at times, particularly in the typical 30foot visibility I have. I'll mark a waypoints which I determine from www.topozone.com and navigate towards them. I'll also use it to mark waypoints along the trail. I used this feature extensively in Amsterdam whenever I parked my rented bike among the millions of others. It also came in handy there when I went for a day ride without a map, I always knew where I needed to get back to at the end of the day. Considering the um, "atmosphere" in that city, my GPS became my best friend that weekend.

The number one use of my GPS has been for Geocaching. I have an eleven year old daughter who absolutely loves to do this. It is also a fun way to get to know the favorite spots of the locals both at home and when on vacation, so my wife and I also enjoy it. Caches have been placed in locations you never would find otherwise.

The only other time I have used a GPS is in a rental car. It did help me find my way around in a foreign location. But that is for another forum.

My apologies about the long winded reply with no definitive answers, but this is a fun topic.

Tony

Last edited:
Gps Help

Holdstrong,
Great gift!! I use A garmin geko 201 which is low tech as far as gps units go.
It allows me to upload and download routes as well as individual waypoints from my pc. I bought National Geographics Topo for New England works well.
You should try a book called " gps made easy by Lawrence Letham". This book should answer many of your questions.
Good Luck w/ it.

The positive benefits of a GPS unit are too numerous to even get into; I own the Etrex vista (among more expensive handhelds suited to aviation) and take it on every hike. Here are a few of the important ones:

#1 - If you're disabled deep in the backcountry, especially off trail, it will give you an instant latitude/longitude readout which can be relayed to rescuers (obviously if you're solo you're counting on your cell phone working here, a 50/50 shot at best, but if accompanied, it makes it much easier to send for help).

#2 - I use it to mark waypoints at important trail junctions. Should you venture into unexpected whiteout (which you'll generally hit above treeline where the GPS reception is flawless) and/or get lost bushwacking, it's only a button click to get a bearing back to any waypoint you recorded. The Etrex is backlit as well, so backtracking at night is also a cakewalk.

Depending on the Etrex model you choose, you can purchase enhanced topo base maps to display from Garmin including an extremely high res national parks terrain map which includes very detailed countour maps (with all major trails) of the Daks and Whites. Overkill for me if I've got the paper map, but some may find it worth the extra $100.

Anyhow, hard core compass/map junkies can probably do any of the above just fine, although it's clearly easier and more accurate to use the GPS, and may just help someone save their life. Having said this, it's foolhardy to venture into the woods without the map and compass as a backup - but the etrex is otherwise indispensable.

Holdtrstrong
I have a different model but can speak on general terms about GPS units and I agree with Tim and Sherpa replies along with other positives. As others have said the Garmin Topo software is a must the unit IMO is useless without it.
In addition you should buy a remote antenna for the unit you can get them on ebay for 10 dollars greatly increases reception in heavy cover. They plug in and I loop mine on the top of my pack when I am bushwacking.

I load the Topo map of the area I will be in and when I get to a trail head add my cars location as a waypoint and the peak where I am going. After that I let it track where I am going and I can see if I am off route or not.
Just a note as others have said I have had the unit lose reception, batteries die etc. so map and compass knowledge are most improtant.
The GPS when working which is most of the time lets me know where I am and where I am going with detailed info as; how far and what elevation I have left to or from the objective locations. Great bit of additional info IMO.

I also like uploading the tracks I hiked to keep record and try and refince the tracks to keep the best ruote to follow for the next time in.
You being a gear head should pick up the benefits quickly
Good luck
Al

I missed the fact that you have the Vista. Nice unit, I have GPS envy. :)

It should be very useful given you can download topomaps into it, which generally include many marked trails.

Tony

Nice! Great info here - thanks everyone.

Sounds like the Extrex Vista is a fine unit. That'll save me a bike ride down to the Harvard EMS to exchange :)

I just ordered the GPS Made Easy book and really look forward to digging in.

FWIW, our SAR dog unit has used the Vista for last couple of years as our unit-supplied equipment. It has been very useful for us. Some notes from that experience:

1. Satellite fixes come quicker (and even more strangely, hold longer) if initiated first using the dashboard power cord, instead of starting with the batteries. As a result, our unit protocol calls for us to use the dashboard power until we arrive at the scene of a SAR mission. Can't 'splain it, but I've seen it happen.

2. A corollary point -- carry lots o'batteries in the field. Especially if you plan to use the electronic compass. (This is a reason not to get the color screen version Vista C, which will suck juice even faster.) My eTrex (the original yellow one) will run all night on one set. Vista will require two or even three sets for the same night-long shift.

3. A corollary to the corollary -- watch the rechargeables carefully if something more than fun depends on the device functioning. Rechargeables will cause the device to shut down once the power drops below the Vista's requirements, even though those same batteries might be okay for a while longer in some other application.

Send me a Private Message if you want more tips -- there's a small chance that I'm the one who convinced your parents to buy it ....... :)

Last edited:
sli74 said:
After much research, I got a Garmin Vista and it looked so very cool BUT . . .
Anyway, I usually don't read the GPS threads because I hate that thing so much it irks me BUT this time I shall . . .
sli74
mavs00 said:
You certainly don't NEED it for any one of them, but it's a fun toy and "gadget" that was well worth the "price of admission". .
jethro said:
#1 - If you're disabled deep in the backcountry, especially off trail, it will give you an instant latitude/longitude readout which can be relayed to rescuers (obviously if you're solo you're counting on your cell phone working here, a 50/50 shot at best, but if accompanied, it makes it much easier to send for help).

#2 - I use it to mark waypoints at important trail junctions. Should you venture into unexpected whiteout (which you'll generally hit above treeline where the GPS reception is flawless) and/or get lost bushwacking, it's only a button click to get a bearing back to any waypoint you recorded. The Etrex is backlit as well, so backtracking at night is also a cakewalk.

Anyhow, hard core compass/map junkies can probably do any of the above just fine, although it's clearly easier and more accurate to use the GPS, and may just help someone save their life. Having said this, it's foolhardy to venture into the woods without the map and compass as a backup...

Now these are folks I can hike with. I've played with several gps units and they are facinating and wonderful tools for a job or task. But I'd no sooner use one for recreational backpacking than I would use an ATV in the backcountry, because it would be easier to get around that way. argggh.

Search and rescue, sure. Surveying, sure. Quickly getting the job done, sure. Totally featureless tundra or hundred mile desert, sure. A fun gadget to play with for a time, sure. But why would I take away from the wilderness experience of studying the terrain, using map and compass and my wits to observe, learn, and totally experience the backcountry? Why am I there, to be immersed in the true wilderness or to be following numbers on a tiny LCD screen of the gadget? The times I have used one, or someone with me has, it has just been a total distraction from the wilderness. I never feel so accomplished as I do when I return from a long deep woods bushwhack, and can recall each ridgeline, each tiny stream crossed, every hummock or ravine that helped me find my way. Each has become my companion and friend along the way and stay in my memory long after the trip is over. Yes it does take work and experience to get it right, but as Jethro says there is no reason why you can't do his #1 or #2 with map and compass alone.

I teach traditional navigation by map and compass, and as a field exercise I require my students to be aware of their current position at all times. They never know when I will stop the group and ask "where are we". Deep woods, dense cover, it doesn't matter - your position can be known with great enough precision to find any point.

Once you have had your fill of the gadget and played with its wonders, put it way down in the bottom of your pack, now head off into the deep woods and see how much you learn - next trip leave it home. Observe what is there for you see, take in the wilderness with all your senses, she will tell you all you need to know.

ok, anti-gps rant off.

Last edited:
Great to see this thread....my wife just gave me the Vista as a present and I have no idea what to do with it other than accept it graciously.
Today I got a video on how to use the thing..I haven't even turned it on yet but I have at least taken it out of the box.
So, I was wondering..will I be able to use it for Canadian topo's?

on a similar note I got her a remote starter for her car..it worked three times...now it just turns on the lights....I suppose the gadets will teach me patience if nothing else....but pretty expensive lessons.......

more snow!!

spider solo said:
Great to see this thread....my wife just gave me the Vista as a present and I have no idea what to do with it other than accept it graciously.
Today I got a video on how to use the thing..I haven't even turned it on yet but I have at least taken it out of the box.
So, I was wondering..will I be able to use it for Canadian topo's?
Available, but pricey (topo data isn't public domain in CA like it is in the US). Here is one source for digital maps. The forums there are down (xmas present courtesy of a hacker :mad: ), so I can't find information to confirm what is recommended, but I believe the touratech QV is the recommended source. I'll pass on more information when I get it.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks ....nice link.
I'm going up to Quebec City in a day or so and will see if I can locate Softmap Technologies while I'm up there (time permiting).
I've just now started trying to figure out how I will most often use the GPS now that I have one.
I have got twisted around hiking through various clear cuts among other things and hope to put it to use and save time and energy instead of wandering all the skid roads like a mouse in a maze.
Also I'm thinking it will come in handy kayaking along the St Lawrence and various islands there of....course I best get my kayaking skills in better form.
Heres hoping......
thanks...spdr