Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
Any ideas for 1 week in YNP this month? Dayhikes only, not bringing camping equiptment. Will be spending 1/2 the week in the valley, the other between Tuoulume and white wolf, where we have rented a tent cabin. We are in reasonably good, shape, as we hike the Whites any chance we get. I think half dome is too much for a day hike.
TIA

It's hard to go wrong in Yosemite, just about anything you choose will be great. Half Dome, obviously, is one of the big draws!

I would highly recommend hiking in Lyell Canyon (the trail is at the Tuolumne end of Yosemite.) It is a pretty flat trail along a gorgeous stream with mountains rising on each side of you. I think it's about eight miles round trip to the end of the Canyon, though you can obviously turn around whenever you want. After we crossed the double bridge, we saw very few people -- only hikers heading out on the John Muir Trail.) We really, really enjoyed this hike as well as our hike to Cathedral Lakes, though we did that as an overnight it is easily hikeable in a day. The views around the lake were spectacular though the scenery on the hike itself was typical woods stuff. We hiked in the sequoia grove and to some of the waterfalls in the valley as well, but didn't enjoy them as much because they were super crowded with people doing things such as throwing trash on the trail. I found the hikes in the valley to be more frustrating than fun.

- Ivy

Half Dome is long, but doable in a day. It's mostly flat, so don't rule it out completely.
Mt. Dana is an awesome hike: Ask the folks at the Outfitter/Gift Shop in Tuolumne for directions. It starts right at the entrance gate.
Also check out North Dome, Lembert's Dome and a nice stroll along the Lyell Fork.

Really, you can't go wrong.

I think you really want to hike Half Dome on a quiet day, or perhaps get a really early start. A bunch of us met a guy from PA when we were hiking Mt Whitney who later on went to Yosemite and hiked to Half Dome. He said there was like a 2 hour wait to the final ascent to the summit due to a line at the cables. He didn't bother to wait and frankly, I would probably not wait either since I detest lines. So, you probably want to try in some fashion to avoid this bottleneck if possible.

Jay

Hikes we've done and enjoyed include Clouds Rest, Mt. Hoffman via May Lake, North Dome, and Mount Dana.

The time we stayed in the Valley, we found ourselves driving up to Tuolomne every day. We hiked Yosemite Falls, and enjoyed the workout and the view, but Tuolomne is, quite frankly, paradise on earth. The next trip we stayed in Tuolomne.

poison ivy said:
I would highly recommend hiking in Lyell Canyon (the trail is at the Tuolumne end of Yosemite.) It is a pretty flat trail along a gorgeous stream with mountains rising on each side of you. I think it's about eight miles round trip to the end of the Canyon, though you can obviously turn around whenever you want. After we crossed the double bridge, we saw very few people -- only hikers heading out on the John Muir Trail.)
Ditto to Ivy.

If you are in that area of the park, Mono Lake and Bodie Ghost Town are nice stops (they are outside the park, but not too far). On our backpack we really liked North Dome, Tenaya Lake, and Cloud's Rest, which are all accessible by dayhiking. As far as difficulty, I think the hiking out there is generally easier because the trails are often switchbacked and the trails aren't as rocky/rooty as trails in the Northeast (just to keep in mind before ruling anything out).

The Valley did give us the willies with all the people, but we found that just by hitting the trails early (and even just getting on a trail), we lost a lot of the crowds.

fyi, there are pics and trip notes from our trip if you want to see the places I mentioned.

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong. Have fun planning!

ETA: Yosemite trip pics/notes

Last edited:
Since it sounds like dayhikes will be your thing, Mount Hoffman is a great hike, and closeby to your second campsite. Amazing perspective since it is the center of the park and the views from the plateau below the summit are fabulous.

Lembert Dome is a very easy Dome (2-3 hour roundtrip) and a great sunset hike.

One of my favorite days and hikes (nice and easy) was to drive up near Tioga Pass, hike up Gaylor Peak (fun scree scramble to 11,000) then head down to the Lakes below for lunch. Then we drove over Tioga Pass (great views of Dana and all the pass peaks) and down to Mono Lake on a road that is white knuckle fun! You can re-supply as well down there.

The JMT through Lyell Canyon is awesome too. We went back that way after climbing up to Vogelsang Lake and Peak, and then heading off the plateau and into the Lodgepole Pines again. The full spectrum of terrain.

As others have said, it's impossible to go wrong in Yosemite.

Have fun!

Great ideas! Just check with the park service to see if Half Dome is opened full time yet. They were suppose to be done with trail work that had closed the summit to all but a few hours each day.

Also, check along Tioga Road as there are some great places to hang out.,...Tanaya Lake, Tuolomne Meadows, and White Wolf heading towards the Hetch Hetchy are all fantastic!

1/4 Dome and Clouds Rest require some walking, but again very worth while.

Enjoy, I'm jealous,
Bill

PS If you do go to Mono or Bodie, they might charge you the $20 admission at Tioga to get back into the park.

Pucknuts61 said:
PS If you do go to Mono or Bodie, they might charge you the $20 admission at Tioga to get back into the park.

We left and came back without having to pay again... we just had to show the receipt, which I believe was good for a week, proving that we paid at the other end.

I will second the recommendation to visit to Bodie if you can tear yourself away from Yosemite-- we got there in the early morning and there wasn't a soul there. It felt like walking in the middle of a Little House on the Prarie episode as we wandered around the old buildings.

- Ivy

I belive those passes allow you to leave and return to the park for a week but I could be wrong. Anyway neat the Tioga gate you can access MT.Conness, one of thebest hikes in the area if you asked me. Mt.Dana is alos one of my favorites and only 4hrs or so round trip. Clouds rest is probloy in the top three as well.

I did 2 dayhikes in Yosemite, from Porcupine Flat on Tioga road to North Dome and the arch on Indian Rock, there is a great view of the valley and Half Dome from North Dome. I also did a hike from the Virginia Lakes (north of the Tioga Pass Station) over Burro Pass (my avatar is from there) and down to Summit and Hoover Lakes, those little mountain ponds are gorgeous. I would love to be able to go back out there and spend a couple of weeks hiking, Yosemite is a spectacular area. :cool:

I thought half dome would be a killer hike as well, but it turned out to be a lot easier than it looked in the guidebook. I would say that it is right on par w/ Mt Washington. It is definitely longer but it is a lot gentler since it is spread out over 17 miles round trip from Happy Isles. It was almost a paved road to the top, except for the last 1/2 mile. It only took us a little over 7 hours to do the hike. A lot easier than we though it would be.

We enjoyed the Mariposa Grove of big trees as well, but make sure you get there early in the morning. I have some pics of the trip in my Parazz pics.

http://www.parazz.com/albums/kingtut

Yosemite car passes are good for a week-in and out as much as you want. just be sure to keep the receipt/pass in the car. Get yourself a copy of "The Rough Guide to Yosemite NP" $10 at B&N. Great little book with everything in it from where to eat to what to see to where to hike.

There are a number of hikes along the South Rim of the Valley, such as out to Dewey Point. You should be able to park at Badger Pass or Glacier Point and then walk from there. I've only been on Glacier Point Road in winter when it's closed to cars past Badger Pass so not sure how much closer you can park. The guide book shows all the trails.

Great information! Thanks. Half dome is starting to fall off the radar, as I do not want to wait in line to climb cables, and I'm not sure how the family will feel about the exposure. Besides, we are on vacation, so I'm not keen on setting an alarm for an early start. All the suggestions are much appreciated and I can't wait to do at least some of them!!!

How could I forget...if you find yourself in Lee Vining at the entrance to the Park you are required by law to stop at Tioga Toomey's Whoa Nellie Deli, aka the Mobil Station. The fish tacos are the best on earth, and the lobster taquitos are a close behind. Yes, at the Mobil station...trust me. If you do not stop, you will be the saddest person ever.

trailbiscuit said:
How could I forget...if you find yourself in Lee Vining at the entrance to the Park you are required by law to stop at Tioga Toomey's Whoa Nellie Deli, aka the Mobil Station. The fish tacos are the best on earth, and the lobster taquitos are a close behind. Yes, at the Mobil station...trust me. If you do not stop, you will be the saddest person ever.
Yes, I remember that place, restaurant in the gas station! Right on Mono Lake, I also highly recommend a stop there. There is also a great little bookstore in Lee Vining at the information center. :cool:

Yes, I remember that place, restaurant in the gas station! Right on Mono Lake, I also highly recommend a stop there. There is also a great little bookstore in Lee Vining at the information center.

I wish I had known about the restaurant before we went. We typically skip restaurants in gas stations, but everybody I have talked to who has been there raves about it!

I second a visit to the bookstore. I found the story behind Mono Lake really interesting and the bookstore was great.

trailbiscuit said:

Great CA microbrew selection as well!

Doing only dayhikes would be a big mistake. Just got back from 6 days from Toulomne. What you see from dayhikes is only a tiny fraction of what you would see if you head into the backcountry. I would go up lyell and head towards Ritter etc.

Why not do a week of JMT if you don't want to do any peaks...

Doing the tourist thing would be crime imho