You know might be addicted to hiking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sli74 said:
Those are BEAUTIFUL, BTW !!!

You ain't kidding Seema, my wife (ADKatie) thinks THEY'RE GORGEOUS too.

She's been nagging me for quite some time for those Bionic Pro's :cool:

Last edited:
Could just be me...

You have 33 extra and variety of sizes in Nalgene bottles. Don't know exactly how this happened but...

You have a multitude of gear/clothing that the Salvation Army wouldn't touch but you "think" they will be just fine with a little duct tape and besides, you never know when you might need them (my wife hates this answer BTW :D )

You find a zip-loc bag of GORP wedged in between your car seat from 1998 and proceed to eat it. Hell, Cashews get better with age.

You leave ALL your credit cards in the car and only go into outdoor stores for that one item you "really" need, like a tent stake. Yeah, that happens.

That was fun.

Peace.

BrentD22 said:
When you are houes shopping you have to find a house with a good pack room and you wonder if you can talk your wife into moving to Randolf or Gorham so you can be closer to the trail heads.

Me: "EMS headquarters is in Peterborough, NH. They probably have an IT department..."

Mrs. Barbarossa: "NO!"

These are all really funny!

LittleBear Wrote:

>>> If you named your daughters Bergeline and Capilene. <<<

My former boss and long time hiking partner named his third daughter Hillary!

:)

More warning signs

You haven't unpacked all your gear from your vehicle in over a year.

The shortest route to Gander Mountain goes past Dick's and EMS.

Before you were addicted, you named your daughters Amanda and Rebecca. Now they'd be Grace and Esther.

teejay

...You smoosh together all of your $500 suits in the closet so your sleeping bag can air out and breath properly...

....You now buy only freestanding tents so your wife can easily pick up one corner at a time when vaccuming the living room....

...when you run out of toilet paper in the bathrooom, you think nothing of running down to the basement and grabbing a flattened ratty old roll from your pack and "rounding" it out so if fits the holder.....

....Your entire stock of kitchen soups mixes are usually stored in a side pocket of your backpack....

(in all fairness, I read the last one on another site) :D

You know you might be addicted to hiking when...

... when you sneak a couple of pack items into work each day just to weigh them on the postal scale.

... you can walk through EMS, REI, IME, etc, and realize there really isn't anything you don't have at least one of... or really have no use for.

... your spouse can sense when you are planning on sneaking out for a hike by how clean the house suddenly starts getting.

... when the phrase 'going home' becomes a cruel joke.

McRat said:
... you can walk through EMS, REI, IME, etc, and realize there really isn't anything you don't have at least one of... or really have no use for...
...and you still buy something.

...you plan your entire year around hikes. Seriously.
...you smile understandingly when Frodo comments about his 33rd time on Lafayette.
...you can identify easier than neighbors.
...nalgene bottles are found in your glass cabinet.
...you look for interesting hikes regardless of where you are going, or what you are going there for.

Last edited:
...Your greatest fear is that they'll stop making your favorite gear before you can acquire it in every color....
...You dream of winning the lottery so you can hike the AT....
...You can still give specific directions to every trailhead in the WMNF, but don't know the best route to the post office in your new home town....

Here's one I realized from my hike today:

You live in Connecticut, but you buy your bread in the Catskills...and it's always fresh!

You'd be hard pressed to name the capitals of 50 US states (or Canadian Provinces), but you'd damn sure be able rattle off the names of the 46 (or 48) highest points in just one of them.

You've spent time thinking up lists that you can finish in hopes that HarryK can meet you at the top with Beer, as in "gee Harry, I'm finishing my 'NY 5K's that start with an "A" in February' this weekend" ;)

Hey, I just realized that might also mean I'm addicted to..............nah :D

Last edited:
. . . you drive to the trailhead very early so you can enjoy a few chapters of A Walk in the Woods before your hike.

.....Your company's IT Guru initiates a new 90 day Password Change Policy where you cannot re-use a previous one.
You smuggly stare at your older than dirt list of ADK 46 peaks and realize you have 11 1/2 years of new passwords that you'll never forget.
And then you use them in the order you climbed them!!!!!
:D

... you get up at 2am, drive 200+ miles to a trailhead in torrential rain, grab a coffee and pastry and sit at the trailhead for an hour then drive home again - because, well - it *could* have stopped!

... you know that if you had done the above solo you would have headed out on the trail anyway :rolleyes:

...you work up a lethal body odor on a hot and humid summers day and still have friends who will sit down to dinner with you.

...you can spot a VFTT sticker on a vehicle travelling at 70mph - in the opposite direction.

...the first thing you do every morning is check for new trail conditions and trip reports

(I really need to get back to work)

...you post to VFTT instead of...