Zealand Hut & Road - a few quick questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gandalf

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm planning a Bonds traverse for next Sunday (7/15) and I'm trying to figure out the most efficient plan for water. On a Franconia loop last summer I found out that Greenleaf Hut has water available for passing hikers...can I assume the same is true for Zealand Hut (and perhaps for all Huts)? I'm assuming it is and that I can possibly forego a filter, but it's always nice to be sure.

Also, do the parking lots at the end of Zealand Road and at Lincoln Woods ever fill up? If so, are there easy parking alternatives? There seem to be no warnings about this in the latest edition of the WMG, but given my unfamiliarity with the region and the fact that it looks to be a busy summer weekend I thought it best to ask here.

Gandalf said:
On a Franconia loop last summer I found out that Greenleaf Hut has water available for passing hikers...can I assume the same is true for Zealand Hut (and perhaps for all Huts)?

Also, do the parking lots at the end of Zealand Road and at Lincoln Woods ever fill up? If so, are there easy parking alternatives?
All huts have water for passing hikers.

Not sure whether the parking lots EVER fill up, but if you spot your cars early I cannot imagine there being a problem.

Gandalf said:
Also, do the parking lots at the end of Zealand Road and at Lincoln Woods ever fill up? If so, are there easy parking alternatives?

Note, each of these are large parking lots by WMNF standards. Whenever I've been to them, there's been ample parking available.

Coincidentally, I was just at the Zealand trailhead (unavailable in the winter) last week on 7/5 during one of the most popular vacation weeks of the year and it was only about half full.

Good luck and have fun!

HikerAmiga said:
Coincidentally, I was just at the Zealand trailhead (unavailable in the winter) last week on 7/5 during one of the most popular vacation weeks of the year and it was only about half full.
While I've never seen it full myself, there is evidence of overflow parking, so presumably it has filled up at one time or another.

Doug

I've seen the topmost Zealand lot full on numerous occasions, with plenty of cars in the nearby lot just before the bridge, but never both completely full.

Zealand and Lincoln Woods parking

I've never personally seen either of these lots completely full, but I've seen Lincoln Woods reasonably packed on hot summer days when a lot of people head to Franconia Falls.

Still, I wouldn't expect parking to be a real problem. If you're doing an overnight, Guyot Campsite can get full, although they do have some overflow spots up on the ridge. I don't know if the overflow spots ever fill up.

Bob did this hike last September.

10 1.2 hours from start to to finish - carried 100 ounces of water - ran out just at the finish at Lincoln Wolds - had left cold water in a cooler in the car. Carried a water filter. With the early start had used very little water by the time we passed the Zealand Hut so didn't fill up. It was not a hot day, so factor that in.

Pics of the hike:
http://rbhayes.net/latest/Zealand-Bond/index.htm

Trip report posting
http://www.rocksontop.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1815

Have fun!!!

Thanks everyone! :) We're planning to drop a car at Lincoln Woods Saturday evening and get a very early start in the morning from Zealand Road. It should be a lot of fun, especially if the thunderstorms hold off!

Those are marvellous pictures, bobandgeri!

Guyot Campsites have a spring where you may be able to refill your water.