Wildcat Info - Pole Cat Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Although I hope to sled/glissade, etc. down much of the Pole Cat trail when I head up next month, I'm still curious if anyone has any data on how long the trail is? (Can I find that on the Wildcat Ski Area website?)

Figure I'll measure the road walk from Wildcat back to 19 mile with my car. Still planning on this trip but I'm just trying to get a handle of the approximate distance.

From the ski area site under Cat Facts:

Polecat Trail - longest ski trail in New Hampshire,
2.75 mile beginner trail from the summit

Sled?

That will be one helluva sled ride. Is that a permissible thing to do at the ski area?

SheraK can tell you the mountaineering skis are great for the downhill run. Somewhere there is photographic evidence of his impeccable technique, not to mention his pure bavado!

I'd be temped to carry my old ski boots and my son's snow blades(90cm stubby skis) and do this. I carried his 140cm short skis up Tecumseh and kied down Waterville in October and had a blast! But the skis and boots were a little heavy.

It's been Swiss Bob'ed, etc. Sucessfully & with minor injuries- for hikers - by others (a 2005 AT thru-hiker for instance that I know)

I have something similar, I suspect you get more looks when skiers are there. I'm thinking I may get there around 3:30 - 4:00 when the skiers are making their last runs. They also prefer you stay on the sides & I imagie they frown on using your axe as a brake.

Wildcat resides within WMNF boundaries. Therefore, you may descend the trails any way you wish.

Polecat is not steep enough to glissade, but sledding would be great fun!

Happy Trails!

forestnome said:
Wildcat resides within WMNF boundaries. Therefore, you may descend the trails any way you wish.
My understanding is that such things depend on the details of the agreement that Wildcat has with the WMNF. In other words, you have to read the fine print...

Doug

Sledding Polecat???

I've done the Wildcat traverse a few times but not in winter or from the ski area. As one who frequently skis Wildcat, I would point out that Polecat is the only Green (beginner) trail down from the summit, serviced by the high-squad quad that whisks you up from the base in about five minutes and accounts for about 75% of the skiing traffic on the Mtn. As Greens go, it's certainly the longest and possibly the toughest among the NH ski areas.

Hikers single-file along the side, as I've seen a number of times, jeopardize neither themselves nor the overmatched newbie downhillers who sometimes find themselves tuckered and barely in control at the mild pitches toward the end. Somebody on a sled, particularly if his own control is doubtful, could spread fear and consternation. Whether or not it's your legal right, it strikes me as a bad idea.

Thanks for all the info on the Polecat trail.

I have a couple of other questions for those who have hiked this trail before.

Is there a specific parking area that hikers using the Polecat Trail should use? And does anyone know if it's okay to leave a car in the lot overnight, or is it strictly day use only?

Thanks for any help!
- Ivy

Wildcat

Having been a ski area GM I can tell you the concern ski areas have is simply liability ...that is: possibly being sued by you or the skier who has bought the ticket that you hit and any litigeous bystanders who may have gotten in the way of your lethal headband. Also the days of concerns about postholing or leaving a "bathtub" on ski slopes are long gone as the standard of snow grooming is 2" of courderoy on hard styrofoam.
A lot of the top people on patrol /ski school and management are climbers and hikers. When they put on their management hat they are necessarily more conservative.
SO having said that:
Dont slide the whole slope if some sections are too steep for you to maintain excellent control. Walk down those sections on the side of the trail.
Slide down the side of the trail after looking up and down. and when traffic is very light. If you show courtesy you will probably not be bothered. Skiers will chat you up and you'll have a good time with them.
I just slid down about 1/2 of Glen Ellen in VT last Thursday and had a great time doing it. I sat on my 5 ft long pull sled folded flat the trace on top of my pack and I used my bare boots forward as brakes and steerage and my Ice Axe in vertical postition as a brake. Good Luck

poison ivy said:
Is there a specific parking area that hikers using the Polecat Trail should use? And does anyone know if it's okay to leave a car in the lot overnight, or is it strictly day use only?

Thanks for any help!
- Ivy

MtnMagic and I just parked inthe regular skier lot with no problems. We did not leave our cars overnight. I would think that if you went inside the lodge and spoke to a worker they would either tell you, "no problem" or redirect you to someone who might take down your car information. I think the only concern for the ski area regarding seeing a car in the lot after hours would be to wonder if they had a skier stuck up on the mountain somewhere.
-vegematic