Mountaineering Classes (Conway Area)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
Just looking for some info on good basic/intro mountaineering classes offered in the Conway area. I know a few places in the area offer them, just wondering if any one had any personal experience with any of these places? Recommendations/suggestions?

EDIT: I'll include, southern and western Maine.

Thank you!
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I have had good interactions with both IMCS and Chauvin Guides. I have also heard good things about Mooney MT Guides. They are all good most likely, and cost about the same.

Last edited:
What kind of classes are you specifically? Avalanche? Roped climbing? Winter Backpacking?

Giggy's advice is right on for any of the above.

I know that the AMC does offer some of these things at a price significantly less than that of the private guides.

-percious

From a recommendation here I did some things with Acadia Mountain Guides. They had a 2 day intro to mountaineering course in december that cost $160, but I don't think they have any dates set up for that right now.
They were excellent.

percious said:
What kind of classes are you specifically? Avalanche? Roped climbing? Winter Backpacking?

Technical skills mainly (ice climbing basics, self-arrest, roped climbing, etc). Basically any skill that it probably wouldn't be wise to teach yourself from a book (i.e. without a experienced teacher to tell you if you are doing it right).

I'll check out the services mentioned by you and others.
Thanks! :)
^MtnMike^