The Other "Mount Jackson" (Franconia Notch)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The State of NH is proposing to swap 50 acres of its land in Franconia Notch State Park for the 50 acres near Mittersill that includes "Mount Jackson", which I believe is the local name for the 3617' north-northwest flank of Cannon Mtn. sometimes known as Mt. Mittersill. The tip of that flank is in WMNF land, and the state is considering expanding (or reviving) ski trails there if it can acquire the land on a swap. The Jackson in Crawford Notch was named early. I don't know where the name of Franconia's Jackson comes from but maybe some oldtime skiers or those knowledgeable about the NH 3Ks can answer that. I have never found it on a map, and I suspect it may be used only on old ski trail maps of the Mittersill area. There's yet another Jackson in the Tumbeldowns. In any event, this is all part of the ongoing discussion about whether Cannon Ski will be leased to a private vendor. From this report, it doesn't sound as if WMNF is too interested in the idea.

It is difficult to just swap land with the WMNF. I tried the same thing a few years ago with five acres that I wanted to swap for a driveway. The deal would have had to be approved by God herself. I finally drop the issue.

MadRiver said:
It is difficult to just swap land with the WMNF. I tried the same thing a few years ago with five acres that I wanted to swap for a driveway. The deal would have had to be approved by God herself.
Thornton is a particularly bad place to swap, some years ago the Waterville Valley developers swapped some land in Thornton for some FS land in Waterville Valley. This burned up town officials in Thornton as they would lose tax revenue and I believe it was voted that the town would allow no more swaps.

If you still want a driveway you can probably get it in exchange for nothing, abuttors in Bethel & elsewhere have had good luck with that.

And I don't know why they call it Mt Jackson.