What's wrong with wool ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
Hmmmm. I had a problem with my $8.00 merino wool shirt a few months ago. I wore it numerous times and I was fine in it, however this day, while climbing Phelps & Tabletop, it was warm and wet.

The cold wet wool, against my cold wet skin caused terrible chaffing. Under my arms, and my nipples, which had become stiff from the cold, and rubbed against the wet wool. Din't laugh....It really happened.

Yes, I have had similar chaffing from polypro, but not as bad as from this wool.
Maybe you should have bought the $16 Merino wool shirt. :)

I used to wear my merino wool long underwear under a wet suit. It reduced chaffing and improved my comfort. Never tried it with polyester (wasn't available at the time).

Doug

What's wrong with wool ?

Nothing. I don't use it for all garments, but for some they're great. My favorite 'very warm hat' (as opposed to 'somewhat warm hat') is Nepalese wool with ear flaps, lined with fleece. My cold weather socks are wool - boiled wool, sometimes called Himalyan or Dachstein wool, and I always carry at least one pair of mittens made the same way. But, other wool stuff, like a favorite traditional hand-knitted wool sweater I bought in Ireland, is worn for low-aerobic activities, like watching a friend's kids play soccer in the fall.

Many years ago I swore by a pair of green Johnson wool pants for hunting, clearing the driveway, etc. They're very warm and have worn like iron over the years, but they're better clothes for hiking.

Gris said:
the beauty of merino is it's comfort - it is not as itchy as regular wool (makes a big difference for against the skin layers, .

Merino wool is also machine washable and less bulky than my other wool sweater. I got two Merino wool sweaters for $15 each at an LL Bean closeout and I have been extremely happy with them.

Gris said:
Ugghh, too much data - the thought of a grown man wearing fishnets in the woods - yikes, help! :eek:
Lots of grown men and women used to wear fishnet in the woods...

Also called string underwear in the UK.

First cotton, then wool. It was the first layer of choice back before polypro (polyproplene) long underwear was introduced (late '70s, IIRC). Followed by polyester long underwear (all too commonly called polypro).

Merino wool long underwear was also available ~1975. (Mine dates from this era.) It then disappeared from the US hiking market and has recently reappeared.

The only time that I still use the wool fishnet is when I expect to get wet because it keeps the wet fabric off my skin or on a "too hot" winter day because it is cooler than "solid" fabric polyester.

Doug

Last edited:
My first "soft shell" was a wool USAF heavy cold weather shirt, breathable, wind resistant and some insulation. It's hard to market a wool piece, we all know how it performs, what it's like. Something can be implied to have all sorts of mythical properties if it's new and we haven't heard of it before so it's easier to market.

I'd like wool as a mid layer, not as a base, but most pieces I see tend to be on the heavy side. I'd love to have a more trimmed lighter weight version of that shirt.

I'll take my sheep fuzz over poly any day for pure warmth. I've got plenty of fleece but when winter comes it's wool that I can count on to keep me warm even if I get wet. Fleece won't do that for me. Just try standing still with wet fleece gloves. Popsicles. Waht I will do sometimes is hike in a lightweight fleece hat and gloves and then switch to wool when I stop. The fleece would never keep me warm while stopped, only wool will do that for me.

And God bless those Merino sheep for sharing their fuzzy coats! With the advent of widespreadavailability of Merino wool I can now wear wool turtlenecks and not get ring around the collar road rash. Got my t-necks a few years back marked down in Beans. I finally tried smartwool this year and I'm a convert of their socks from the old Wigwams and rag socks.

Wool is warm and fuzzy! :) It's a natural fiber and it's excellent for my requirements. I keep wool in my pack if precipitation is at all in the forecast. If it's raining, I wear wool for my outer layer, and a light merino wool as a base layer. My skin stays dry for many hours in the rain. Even after this system becomes saturated, I stay warm. The most important thing is to stay warm.

I don't believe in waterproof shells or breathable/waterproof shells. If it's really waterproof, like pvc, then you get wet from sweat. Either way, you're skin is eventually wet. With wool, I feel warm even when wet. With those shells, I feel clammy and cold.

For socks, I like a blend that's at least 80% wool. I even like pure wool. I never feel itchy. I do like to use lotion on my feet, so maybe that helps. ;)

Happy Trails!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with wool!

For cold weather, I really like wearing a poly (wicking) T-shirt next to my skin, with a lightweight but tightly knit wool sweater (prefer a V-neck) over it. There is a pretty good collection of those sweaters in my closet, some more than 30-35 years old and still serviceable (for hiking). Most are noticeably more wind resistant than ordinary poly fleece. The warmest of those old sweaters is of Cashmere wool -- very tight knit, very light weight, very soft, very durable. Even in summer, I often stick one of those old sweaters in my pack as a “warmth” garment -- they seem to be warmer and cozier than poly fleece, with less bulk. Wool seems especially nice in wet weather.

A wool muffler is one of the most versatile clothing items I can imagine. Great for keeping out drafts around the neck. A nice extra warmth layer on the chest. Infinitely adjustable. Can be used to cover ears. One of mine is now 45 years old and still quite serviceable (but it gets a bit shorter each year).

One of the best bargains going is those nice oily wool military surplus “liner” gloves, which you can get for $5 or less (at least you could a couple or three years ago when I last stocked upon them). Very breatheable. Not windproof, but warm, especially if worn inside a shell.

My favorite wool trousers are heavy whipcord or twill -- like the old wool US Army or Air Force dress uniform pants. Warm, plus wind-and-everything-else-proof. Hard to find these days, especially in my expanded size. Alas.

G.

Grumpy said:
There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with wool!

One of the best bargains going is those nice oily wool military surplus “liner” gloves, which you can get for $5 or less (at least you could a couple or three years ago when I last stocked upon them). Very breatheable. Not windproof, but warm, especially if worn inside a shell.

My favorite wool trousers are heavy whipcord or twill -- like the old wool US Army or Air Force dress uniform pants. Warm, plus wind-and-everything-else-proof. Hard to find these days, especially in my expanded size. Alas.

G.

I wholeheartedly agree. I use the liners and they are great for under a shell or on their own...breathable. $3.99 at surplus stores here.

And I also have the older (1950s I think) military surplus wool pants, these aren't the heavy thick wool, they are lightweight, thin and tight weave. I used them on the Lafayette trip a few weeks agao where we had 65 mph gusts....they were entirely windproof. I consider them to be my poor man's soft shell pants. Cost per pair $2.99- $4.99. I have a size small for warmer weatheruse (less layering) and a size medium for when i want to layer more and leave the waist area looser to alow more warm air from my legs to chimney up into my upper body area. They take suspenders (either type) too. ,,,and they are my favorite color ! :D

I also have a heavier (kinda mid-heavyweight) weight 50's era surplus wool (almost everything is 80/20 wool/nylon blend) button up shirt with straight hem, so it's kindof a "shirtjac". This is also windproof and functions like a softshell. Withstands a fair amount of rain. The only improvement would be if it had a front zipper rather than buttons.

Rick said:
For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why fleece socks never caught on (otehr than they aren't as comfortable as wool socks).
My guess is that water absorbtion and cushioning are the deciding factors.

Wool can absorb a large amount of water (perspiration) and still retain its bulk, cushioning, and (much of) its insulation. Fleece crushes and only absorbs a small amount of water so your feet would feel wet very quickly.

Fleece might be ok if you wear sandals.

Disclaimer: I've never tried fleece socks--I only wear wool socks (on and off the trail).

Doug

wool, like cornbread, is almost always a great idea. the wet weight factor must be factored in when thinking of its disadvantages, again similiar to cornbread, which may not be an ideal snack when full of water.

Oh, my earlier post left out two other favorite wool items: Military surplus knit wool “watch” caps, which are relatively inexpensive and fairly readily available. And, of course, good ragg wool socks, which are becoming harder and harder to find.

G.

wool, like cornbread, is almost always a great idea...
Dude, i couldnt have said it better. Ever make a "cornbread pizza?" best thing in the world. Bake the cornbread in a big iron skillet (w a few niblets thrown it), then top with cheese, salsa and jalapenos -bake a lil longer. MMMMMmmmm, goood!

Dougpaul, Pete and Cantdog,
Thanks for reminding me why I tried a pair and they got buried in the bottom of my hiking sock box circa '95. I dug them out yesterday and wore them for a few hours and sure enough, there is the irritating seam and they slide down and crumple in front ofthe heel (I didn't try to get them wet though).
I was also mildly amazed at all the pairs of old rag wool socks I have. I could probably sock an entire trail crew. :D

So back to the sock box (Perhaps I should leave them in the back of the truck as an emergency pair of mitts. :)

Combinatorials....

I am a firm believer in the "newer" fabrics of today, ie. Goretex XCR, Polypropelene, Fleece, xxx-elene. But I have found a couple of cross-over pieces, which are my "daily drivers" in the winter months.

1) Polypro/Wool Long johns. Excellent first layer for the legs. Usually this is combined with a Goretex (XCR) shell. The Polypro is welded to the wool so that you get the benefits of warm wool, along with the softness of the polypro. The material whicks well, and dries relatively quickly. The wool is comfortable to sleep in and blocks wind pretty well when you are andswering natures call. The best news is that it is inexpensively available at your local Wallmart, but get them early in the season, because they sell out before Christmas.

2) Columbia Wool/Thinsulate Socks. I just started using these this winter. I love them. Previous winters my feet would freeze when temps were below zero after about 5 minutes of in-activity. Now I get 15-20 minutes. The socks whick really well when combined with a lightweight polypro layer underneath.

-percious

giggy said:
itches, scratches and is uncomfortable - for me anyway and think it takes longer to dry -

dude i know the feeling. i am completely, entirely, and utterly allergic to wool. i itch, i sneeze, my skin goes crazy. it actually really sucks (because you probably thought it was fun).

timmus said:
Now, how come EMS or other outdoors shops don't keep 100% wool gear in their stores, but 10 000 fleece items instead ?

I've also been waiting to find wool at a local EMS store, but haven't seen any yet. That's surprising because their website advertizes some Icebreaker clothing. They had some at half price last summer and a friend bought a couple of shirts.

If you do want to find wool at a local store (local being a relative term), try Woodstock Sports in Woodstock, VT. They carry the entire Ibex line. Other possibilities are the Ibex website (many items on sale right now), Sam's Outfitters in Brattleboro, the Sock Company website (Smartwool or Ibex or Fox River), Outdoor Sports in New Zealand for Icebreaker clothing or Sierra Trading Post for some excellent British sweaters.

I hike in wool socks, even in the summer, and find them much more comfortable, wet or dry, than other fabrics, natural or man made.

My warmest mittens are wool with thinsulate lining and leather palms. I find they're often too warm when I'm ascending and generating a lot of heat. I wear them with polypro liners and strip down to that.

My old Navy watch cap (as in U.S. Navy, not the clothing store) is so warm I'm usually in a fleece headband ... I consider the watch cap part of my survival gear.

Depending on the weather outlook and my itinerary I'll often wear a wool shirt over a polypro long john top.

What's wrong with wool? Here are my objections though it doesn't stop me from enjoying it's comfort as described above. 1. Bulky wool sweaters aren't very packable. 2. Wool itself not a particularly good windbreak. 3. Although warm, it is very heavy when wet. 4. Some cheaper grades of wool are very itchy but that factor can vary considerably among individuals.

What's greener, wool or materials made from recycled products? IMHO this is not an either/or issue but I think wool is more sustainable if you consider that if we were more conscientious about the source material, fleece would not be such an economical product after all. Considering the useful life of wool vs. fleece, I've got wool clothing that I've had much longer than I expect, from my experience, my fleece clothing to last.