W48x9 The Final Hours

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim Seaver said:
Point taken, George.

I have changed the wording on the top of the webpages to "NH48 Winter 4000'ers in 9 days, 23 hours, and 13 minutes"

But I am leaving the W48x9 as is for simplicity.

Everyone happy? ;)
Ummmmm.... no. How about W48x9.96736111111111111111111111111111? Doesn't that look better. :p :rolleyes:

Just kidding. :)

-Dr. Wu

Tim Seaver said:
Everyone happy? ;)
Yes.

Thank you for the explanation, Tim.

I think the confusion stems from the practice of not counting a "day"
until it's completion, but I believe that is the established method of measuring
multi-day endurance events.

That makes sense if you consider that a 3-day event is tougher than a
2-day event, hence you should not exaggerate the difficulty of an event
by rounding up.

Maybe next year I will do the W48x89 which by this practice is tougher
yet :)

It's all about rounding. Some years ago I wrote a toung-in-cheek advice column for my running club. I talked about training miles and racing times and how to do the "rounding":
When training, we round our training mileage UP. So naturally 5.7 miles becomes 6 miles in your running log. When racing, we round our finishing times DOWN. So when asked our time after a 3:10:57 marathon we say 3:10, or to be really brazen to non-runner friends we might say "three hours and change". Note how useful the expression "and change" is, use it often.
Sooo...

It's legit to say Tim and Cath did the W48 in 9 days and change! And using a proportional sliding scale, next year when he finishes his W48x89, Roy might say "W48 done in 80 days and change"! :D

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
It's all about rounding. Some years ago I wrote a toung-in-cheek advice column for my running club. I talked about training miles and racing times and how to do the "rounding":
Sooo...

It's legit to say Tim and Cath did the W48 in 9 days and change! And using a proportional sliding scale, next year when he finishes his W48x89, Roy might say "W48 done in 80 days and change"! :D

this all sounds logical to me.
this summer i'll attempt hiking the monadnock-sunapee greenway in 0 days!!! :eek: ;)

post'r boy said:
this all sounds logical to me.
this summer i'll attempt hiking the monadnock-sunapee greenway in 0 days!!! :eek: ;)

This new math is friggin awesome.............. I working on my next list and I just figured it out, so far I'm on peak #72 and I'm up to 3 days.......... Sweet.

Damn it, why did I have to do those overnights early on, I could sitting at 0 days. :D

mavs00 said:
This new math is friggin awesome.............. I working on my next list and I just figured it out, so far I'm on peak #72 and I'm up to 3 days.......... Sweet.

Damn it, why did I have to do those overnights early on, I could sitting at 0 days. :D

very impressive mavs!!!
a friend from canada helped me to realize that i've hiked well over 1000 peaks in 0 days!! yippeee!! :eek: ;)

Tim & Cath you both rock. It was a pleasure reading your reports and
looking at the pics. I'm so sad it's about to end. Congrat's to all...Tim,Cath,Andy & Jeff.