Gore-tex PacLite vs Marmot Precip for winter hardshell ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I've got this same Lowe Alpine Gore-Tex PacLite jacket and the matching pants that I've been using for the past few years. I also have the new model Precip jacket and pants. Since I love to use gear for a year or 2 and then sell it on ebay, I'm wondering if there's any reason to keep the Lowe Alpine suit.
Anyone care to explore the material differences in these materials ?

I don't think Precip is tough enough for a bomber winter hardshell. It's not really waterproof so in mixed precipitation you will get soaked. Precip is good for light rain and windy conditions, or so I've read.

-dave-

I've used my Precip as a winter shell (over a light weight Primaloft jacket and other layers). It works to a certain extent, but after hours of wet snow you will be soaked. And this was back when the jacket was brand new. A few years later, the sucker leaked unbelievably (I replaced it with another recently).

On most easy days out, the Precip works well enough. I'll be using it again just because it packs so well.

For big winter trips, I carry I bigger heavy duty jacket.

Ultimately, I'd rather have a better hard shell. Too bad I couldn't lie and you aren't my size. ;)

I have a Marmot Precip and a HD 3-ply Goretex (OK, I'll 'fess up - I have 2 HD shells. LL Bean in Conway was having a close-out on them and that where I got the one my friends call my "TV jacket). Anyway - when you're in conditions where all your buttons may be pushed, I find that having a HD 3-ply provides me piece of mind.

You'll likely get posts where people find that a good softshell and a Precip (or similar) provide them with similar results, but personally I want all that stiff, guaranteed/certified waterproof cloth between me and the elements.

Kevin

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance

Does anybody maintain their clothing? I regulary clean and apply DWR (Durable Water Repellant) to my products with excellent sucess. I have a Marmont Precip outfit that has worked great. I know that after time, where the backpack straps rub constantly (pushing water into the fabric) and also on the forearms of the coat (where you are constantly rubbing up against wet tree branches etc. - also pushing water into the fabric) the coat will start to "leak" so to speak but once washed and re-treated it works like new. I personally have had good success with Tectron but will be honest - I haven't tried anything else. Hey, if it works...

Here is a link talking about it in a little more detail:

http://www.answers.com/topic/durable-water-repellent

And in case you are wondering what waterproof/breathable fabrics are this is the followup to that link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/waterproof-fabric

Yes, even the mighty Gore-Tex needs to be maintained in order to retain it's effectiveness!

I'm a huge believer in maintenance - I mean, you treat your boots don't you? You hike to MAINTAIN your health don't ya? :D It's a lot cheaper to maintain than to buy new - that is if you can, not sure where to buy a new body these days....only parts :eek:

Does anybody maintain their clothing?

I do this regularly with great success using Nikwax wash-in products. In fact, I'm doing all my ski stuff today !! :) Maybe I'm cheap but I just haven't gotten to the point where I want to spend $700 or more on ski clothes every two years, when a little maintenance makes 'em last about six or seven years, skiing about 50 days a year.

Last edited:
Chip said:
I've got this same Lowe Alpine Gore-Tex PacLite jacket and the matching pants that I've been using for the past few years. I also have the new model Precip jacket and pants. Since I love to use gear for a year or 2 and then sell it on ebay, I'm wondering if there's any reason to keep the Lowe Alpine suit.
Anyone care to explore the material differences in these materials ?

You have a PM...

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
I know that after time, where the backpack straps rub constantly (pushing water into the fabric) and also on the forearms of the coat (where you are constantly rubbing up against wet tree branches etc. - also pushing water into the fabric) the coat will start to "leak" so to speak but once washed and re-treated it works like new.

I was washing my Precip in Tech Wash and treating with TX Direct. After three years, it was done. The only place the backing actually peeled was at the neck line (the new design may eliminate this weak point), but it leaked badly in the front. The pants (an EMS knock off) are holding up better -- less frequent wear.

I love the jacket and replaced it recently. It suits my purposes well.