"Not Maintained in Winter"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always found it to mean that the road may or may not be passable, but not exactly closed.
It doesn't get regular plowing or maintenance for 3-4 months of the year, which might not be bad in very cold weather - but as it all melts, it gets slippery, slushy and probably only truly passable for 4WD high clearance vehicles (not all wheel drive, but true 4WD with low range and limited slip differentials/positraction).
I love these roads in the winter - if going alone, get a Warn winch or a come-along and a long section of pipe from Tractor Supply :)

Last edited:
That usually means no plowing, which in usual years means that cars will not get through. This year, who knows?

If the roads are snow covered then be prepared to take care of yourself. No tow truck is going up there to help you.

-dave-

And sometimes those roads are part of established snowmobile routes, too.

Having slid backwards down an icy road in Vermont that was posted "road not maintained in winter"', I would be very cautious. In hindsight, if I had not been wearing polarized sunglasses, I may have noticed the ice before starting up.

Fortunately, no damage was done, though I did have about 20 seconds to play out many scenarios in my head while sliding backwards.

MichaelJ said:
:eek: That's a problem.
I found myself traveling the wrong way in my CJ on an "established" dirt biking road once...let's just say everyone was lucky to walk away that day. :eek:

BrentD22 said:
Does anyone know if this means closed or that the road is just not maintained during the winter months.
I agree with the majority that you are allowed to travel it if you dare.

Unfortunately there are relatively few of these left, the FS for instance now prefers to gate roads it used to leave open particularly during winter logging.

MichaelJ said:
A few years ago in ME while doing a NE 100HH peak in winter, a person I know drove his 4 wheel drive truck up a road that had been groomed for snow machines, a note was left on his windshield that if he were ever do it again he would have a cold drive home because he would have no windows left.

I heard a vftt member got stuck coming out of the seward summer TH a few winters back, and it cost 800 large for a tow out. Could be urban legend...Maybe a few members could elaborate?

hillman1 said:
I heard a vftt member got stuck coming out of the seward summer TH a few winters back, and it cost 800 large for a tow out. Could be urban legend...Maybe a few members could elaborate?

I don't remember the exact cost of that towing but I know it was alot of money!!!

Gale River Rd

I went up Gale River Rd last winter in about 2 or so feet of snow. I decided to turn around a few miles in. I think that was about a 25pt turn. Very, very bad.

Nice camping out there in the dead of winter, I must say.

Several years ago we tried a "shortcut" in winter'(somwhere near Stinson Lake?) and the road got really tough,even with 4wd. Then I came to an intersection with stop signs and road signs,all about 3 ft high and smaller than usual. Hmmm...do you hear snowmobiles? :confused: :eek:

I had a choice of 6 miles forward,or 3/4 mile backwards. No contest..we're outta here!