Playing w/ my new Katoolas on Jackson 1/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
I hate limitations. I knew from my Dec hike up Mt Crawford’s slippery summit, and my Jan hike with Sticks up an icy Avalon, as well as my desire to return to Jefferson, that I needed to get some traction on my feet if I wanted to be able to hike in the winter. Many thanks to Cruddy Toes, Kevin Rooney, Maddy, AndyF, and Hiker Bob for all their helpful info and great advice! In the end, I bought a pair of Katoolas and tried them out on Jackson today.

They were bloody awesome! I can’t get over how secure my footing felt climbing up the snowy trail, and was especially impressed every time I came to a mini frozen waterfall peaking through the snow. I can understand how easy it would be to become over confident in these things, as I seriously did not feel like I was hiking on snow or ice at all!

Hiking solo, I had several random thoughts while going up and down Jackson:

1) Up is definitely harder than down. Yes, I have a habit of stating the obvious even to myself. I don’t think it was so much the cold. Hey, Saturday it started out at -22 and rose to -1 by noon reaching 5 in the afternoon, but today it was in the double digits above zero at 11 degrees when I started my hike near noon, a relative heat wave! I think the slow pace going up was in part because I recently repacked my backpack with anything I think I might need if I were to end up outside overnight. The three rescue operations in the Whites this month have left an impression, so now my backpack weighs twice as much. I made a point of stopping and covering my mouth and nose with a neck warmer when I felt them starting to get chilled, as well as eating and drinking on the way up to maintain body heat and energy. I had no problem with having enough energy or staying warm on the way down! I felt like a mountain goat in the Katoolas and the pack’s weight seemed inconsequential on the way down.

2) It’s easy to forget a trail’s characteristics. The last time I went up Jackson was in the summer. As I looked at the trees and the sky today, there were several moments when I thought I was near the summit, only to turn the corner and be met with more endless trail. At one point I turned the corner and saw the summit....in the distance....and thought, crap, I forgot about this part! But at least I could see the summit. Actually it was the most beautiful part of the trail, with a thick heavy blanket of white on the sagging evergreen branches.

3) I never understood why some quilters would make a quilt that was all white, except maybe to show off their stitching, but seeing how beautiful Mother Nature’s quilt of white draped the mountain today, I think I now understand how something all white can still be incredibly beautiful.

4) Godiva hot chocolate is going to taste really good when I get home!

5) While at the summit, which was cold and windy, I did get a chance to view George briefly before another cloud came over him and obscured the view. Suddenly I realized, oh my Goddess, I think this is my first winter 4K! Crap, now I’m going to have to do 47 more. Maybe I should do Owl’s Head in the winter so I only have to do it once. I hate lists, and I’m within 8 of finishing the first one. But my grandmother will be 97 this April, so if I live as long as her, I’m not at the half way point yet. So I guess I have enough time to finish whatever lists I choose.

6) I’m now doing what I said I never would - hiking a 4K in the winter, solo. I’ve become one of those crazy people....

7) I didn't fall ONCE during this hike - that NEVER happens! There's a reason why I'm not named Grace. But thanks to the Katoolas, I am no longer limited by the type of ground cover as to when I can hike. :D

Three hours from start to finish, I had a blast! I hope everyone had a fun weekend and no one needed rescuing.

Way to go! Winter Toys are so much fun...

Awesome, Roxi!!! :D

Well, I'm only on my winter peak No. 4; so if ya ever wanna hike....give me a shout!!

Glad you had so much fun with your new crampons, sounds like you got alot of good advice on that purchase!

What are Katoolas???? Are they a make of crampons??? Glad to hear you had a good, safe hike.

Klutz,

From what I understand, Kathoola's are the "happy medium" between something like StablIcers and a full crampon.

StablIcers (I own a pair) are
+Real easy to take on/off
+Don't tear up your or other people's pants
-Don't offer nearly as much traction as full crampons (I know, my partner had them & I only had StablIcers when we attempted The Eyebrow near Old Speck in Maine- we probably would've gotten up if I had full crampons.

In my humble, fallible opinion, traction ratings on a scale of 1-10 on ice would be:

Hiking boots WITHOUT Vibram soles (I was actually stupid, ignorant enough to try this b4 I got on VFTT) = 0
Hiking boots WITH Vibram soles = 2
Any hiking boots with StablIcers = 5
Any hiking boots with full crampons = 10 (based on what I observed)

Somebody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I like learning here instead of through bruises on the trail.

Anyone want to give me their impression of what Kahtoolas would rate using the above reference points?

Kahtoolas are also flexible so they will work with many different more flexible boots. You wouldn't want them for anything remotely technical or any headwall climbs but they probably work for just about anything else. You would want to be careful on the Owl's Head slide with them, IMO

BriFly said:
Hi Roxi. Glad you liked the Kahtoola's. I've been considering getting a pair myself. Do you have the aluminum or the steel version?

Steel. I'm not sure how they differ exactly from crampons, but I get the impression they're pretty darn close, and a little lighter in weight. on Ix93's scale I'd venture a 9.

I know this is starting to get off the "trip report" theme, but IMO Katoolas are about as much traction as 95% of us will ever need for winter hiking. They don't have the long fangs that standard crampons have, but that also makes them a little easier to walk with.

They also cost about the same as regular crampons, so I would just go with the real thing if given the option. A friend of mine has a pair and supposedly they were designed to be used over a running shoe for winter trail runs.

I was at EMS in North Conway yesterday and I saw a pair of "Camp" brand crampons that were only around $90. They looked quite solid, came with anti-balling inserts, and they were a bargain compared to the $130-$140 Katoolas or Black Diamonds.

On a side note, does anyone ever acually need the anti-balling? My snowshoes get it pretty bad sometimes, but as long as my crampons don't go into water, they never get snow balled up under them and I've never used anti-botts or whatever they're called.

albee said:
On a side note, does anyone ever acually need the anti-balling? My snowshoes get it pretty bad sometimes, but as long as my crampons don't go into water, they never get snow balled up under them and I've never used anti-botts or whatever they're called.
I've had it happen-it can be rather obnoxious. Instant platform shoes with lousy traction... Depends on the snow conditions. I understand it is more of a problem out west than in the NE.

The "traditional" way of dealing with it is to knock the snow off with an ice axe shaft on every step.

Doug

albee said:
On a side note, does anyone ever acually need the anti-balling? My snowshoes get it pretty bad sometimes, but as long as my crampons don't go into water, they never get snow balled up under them ...
Under the right conditions, they'll ball up higher than the points. It takes fresh snow and sun on the snow.

Doug Paul said:
The "traditional" way of dealing with it is to knock the snow off with an ice axe shaft on every step.
Or ask your partner behind you to occasionally whack you with their ice axe.

My wife is getting interested in hiking with me in the winter now. I had bought her some stabilicers but she wants to go do some Catskills peaks with me so I had to get her a set of crampons.

You can get a pair of Grivel G-10's, with anti-bots for $130 (I got them from Mountain Gear (http://www.mountaingear.com/) with no tax and free shipping.

I think these also have the spring steel bars which are flexible. I wasn't worried about it because I have 2 extra sets of the spring steel bars in reserve and if they aren't (spring steel) I will change them out.

If you're going to spend that much money for "light" crampons, IMO you might as well buy a good pair of "real" crampons right from the start. Much more versatile.

Kevin

kmorgan said:
If you're going to spend that much money for "light" crampons, IMO you might as well buy a good pair of "real" crampons right from the start. Much more versatile.

I'd disagree with you on the "much more versatile" part. I have real crampons and have only used them once this Winter, and in that case I really should have used my snowshoes instead. With points that are one inch long, crampons are overkill for most conditions I run into. Give me something with points that are only 3/8" - 1/2" long and has front points too (a.k.a. Kahtoolas) ... heck, that's all I need! No need for Stabilicers. No need for crampons (or crampon bag, or shredded clothing ...).

-BriFly

BriFly said:
I'd disagree with you on the "much more versatile" part. I have real crampons and have only used them once this Winter, and in that case I really should have used my snowshoes instead. With points that are one inch long, crampons are overkill for most conditions I run into. Give me something with points that are only 3/8" - 1/2" long and has front points too (a.k.a. Kahtoolas) ... heck, that's all I need! No need for Stabilicers. No need for crampons (or crampon bag, or shredded clothing ...).

-BriFly

Agreed. Cruddy Toes recommended the Kahtoolas to me. He used them while rescuing people in the Whites, at least twice this past month (the folks on Adams and searching for the guy on Lafayette). If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me. I'm very happy with mine (steel version) and plan to play in them again this weekend. :)