Looking for a slightly wider sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Anyone have suggestions on what companies' sleeping bags run "big"? I have a Mountain Hardwear bag right now and it's a little too snug in the shoulders. I know mummy styles are trimmed down like that, but this one is too straight-jackety. I'm looking for a down mummy bag, 15-25F range, and like I said hopefully a little more roomy in the shoulder area, and hopefully a 6-foot rating that's not too short for someone who's 5'10". I messed up when I bought this one; I learned my lesson the hard (re: $$$) way.

The number you are looking for is the shoulder girth. Find (or measure) the shoulder girth of your bag, add a few inches and look in that neighborhood. Long bags sometimes also have a larger girth.

Doug

Some of the MH bags have built in "expander" zipper section for that reason and for venting it a little when it's overly warm.
I believe the expander is also sold separately by them. (Fitting their bags with full length zippers).
It is basically a 4" wide length of material that adds to the circumference of the bag, or something along that idea.
You should be able to find it on their web site, if not I can find out for you if it is still available for retail or as special order item.
I upgraded my sleeping bags last year so my info from memory is 1 year old, but I could ask one of the reps if they still are available if need be.
Don't depair as yet....
spdr

Last edited:
Big Agnes makes highly regarded down bags, many which are sized more generously in the shoulders. There are some in your size and temperature range that go from 66 to 74.5 inch shoulder girths. Their sleeping system is a bit different than most, so read carefully.

Here is the URL: Big Agnes

Marty

Western Mountaineering......

Since you're looking for a down bag, i unreservedly recommend Western Mountaineering (i don't even work 'em!!!). I've bought 4 bags from them and all are outstanding. While there are many well-known, middle-performance company's, there are only a few top-shelf company's and aside from custom manufacturing, imho, WM is at the top.

I am also about your stated height and likely similar build - i wear a 48" jacket - i am not as lean as when in my 20's, but not outta the race yet!!! :D

The Puma SDL at the 6' length fits me pretty well all around. However, if the standard width seems a bit snug, then this may serve you very well.

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...gs&cat=Dryloft Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=50

The non-Dry-Loft version is here:, though in the temps you mentioned i'd likely stay with a w/b shell. Anyway, here ya go;

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...cat=Microfiber Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=34

Otherwise, if that girth is a bit much, given your criteria, my personal choice is;

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...at=ExtremeLite Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=20

Have fun!

frank

EDIT: I just noticed you are wanting to be in the 15-25F range and WM bags have in my experience been about 10F conservative so that changes my recommendation to this:

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...at=ExtremeLite Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=28

The only draw-back is it does not have a w/b shell.....

ciao

Last edited:
marty said:
Big Agnes makes highly regarded down bags, many which are sized more generously in the shoulders. There are some in your size and temperature range that go from 66 to 74.5 inch shoulder girths. Their sleeping system is a bit different than most, so read carefully.

Here is the URL: Big Agnes

Marty
I like Big Agnes equipment. I have a Big Agnes Cross Mountian 40 for warmer weather that I use with an Exped Foam Airmat 9. The Foam Airmat 9 inflates to 3 1/2" which is comfy, but this pad height creates a drafty/cool area at the bottom/side seams of the Big Agnes in cooler temps.

DVBL,
How's 35" of pure luxury sound?? It works great for me. I used to be a body builder and am still a pretty big guy and I move around a lot in my sleep. I can use a 32" wide bag, but I feel like my arms are clamped to my side. Last year I got a 15d Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide 600-fill down from Campmor and never looked back. I absolutely love it when it is below 45-50d and I need more than a summer down bag draped over me (really warm sleeper).

I can roll over, put both arms under my head and live the life of luxury.
Here is the link - It is on sale for $199 now.Marmot Sawtooth

...and at less than 3.5 lbs, it is definitely manageable in my pack!!!

Last edited:
just alittle update...
the MH Down Expander or Polarguard Expander are listed as
....8" x 77" with a weight of approx 12oz
compatible with #8 YKK zippers (a common style of zipper these days)

perhaps that will be of some help as you consider your options...

spider solo said:
just alittle update...
the MH Down Expander or Polarguard Expander are listed as
....8" x 77" with a weight of approx 12oz
compatible with #8 YKK zippers (a common style of zipper these days)

perhaps that will be of some help as you consider your options...

An issue with this is that EMS uses #8 YKK, but there zipper is reverse of MH and TNF. I found out whilt at Campmor one fine day. I brought several of my sleeping bags and none would fit the expander panel (They were all EMS, Slumberjack and a TNF bag)

Last edited:
Chip said:
I like Big Agnes equipment. I have a Big Agnes Cross Mountian 40 for warmer weather that I use with an Exped Foam Airmat 9. The Foam Airmat 9 inflates to 3 1/2" which is comfy, but this pad height creates a drafty/cool area at the bottom/side seams of the Big Agnes in cooler temps.
Chip,
Does your bag also have no insulation on the bottom? are you able to easily roll over in your bag? I had wondered about the previously... I was to unsure about moving in the direction of a bottomless sleeping, even though it make all the sense in the world.

Lawn Sale said:
I have a down and synthetic expander I zip into a bag when I'm nesting them, works perfectly. LL Bean used to sell them, not sure if they still do. It's amazing what another 4" of material will do for roominess.

Hmmm... maybe not. Two years ago they were in the clearance store in Ellsworth for $1.99. I couldn't figure out what they were at the time and later regretted not picking one up for summer just to give a little more comfort .

Rick said:
An issue with this is that EM uses #8 YKK, but there zipper is reverse of MH and TNF. I found out whilt at Campmor one fine day. I brought several of my sleeping bags and none would fit the expander panel (They were all EMS, Slumberjack and a TNF bag)

Hi... I was hanging in there prettty good with the acronyms, fiqured EM was just a typo ?
Good point, if you go the expander route it is safest to match within the same brand.. MH for MH etc that way their sleeping "systems" will match.

On a somewhat related note, one time I was using a left hand zippered bag inside a right hand bivy bag... felt like I was spinning like a top every time I had to get get in and out of the set-up... esp in the middle of the night when my sense humor was at it's minimum to say the least.

spider solo said:
On a somewhat related note, one time I was using a left hand zippered bag inside a right hand bivy bag... felt like I was spinning like a top every time I had to get get in and out of the set-up... esp in the middle of the night when my sense humor was at it's minimum to say the least.
Confusing, but a bit warmer if the zippers don't match...

Doug

Rick said:
Chip,
Does your bag also have no insulation on the bottom? are you able to easily roll over in your bag? I had wondered about the previously... I was to unsure about moving in the direction of a bottomless sleeping, even though it make all the sense in the world.
Yes, no insulation in the bottom, which does make sense. I roll back to side in all my bags. I believe my "draft" problem with this bag is due to the 3 1/2" thick Exped mat. I have not tried it with a thinner pad, because then I don't sleep. I think with my old bivy bag over everything it'd be fine, but then I'm carrying an extra pound for no great reason. Temps above the bag' rating are fine.

dvbl: try bags from "The Backside". They are siezed a bit wider (35 inch) and longer (94 inch) thant most standard bags. If you can find them they are inexpensive and well built for the money. I own 2 (a -30F synthetic and a 0F down) and have been happy and warm with both. Here is one on eBay, but you should be able to find one even cheaper if you search hard enough:
The Backside 20 degree down lite

Here's a less expensive spot (same bag): The Backside 15 down lite

Don't know why one site rates it 15 and the other 20, but I'm guessing you'll be fine at 20

Last edited:
Follow up question:

The literature on synthetic vs down always says something like, "...down loses much of its insulating capability when it's wet..."

How wet is wet? One extreme is drop it in a river and let it sink. The other extreme is maybe a damp muggy foggy night in the woods. Where in this spectrum does the down bag start to get wet enough to start losing its full insulating potential? Not looking for equations (though I'll take 'em if you got 'em), just looking for a ballpark estimate. Still fighting with myself over down vs. synthetic.

Water goes right through down almost instantly so it is the outer fabric that will determine how wet or dry the bag is.
I opted for water proof down bags.

So, for example, I slept out in the rain last night the bag stayed dry but...I had zipped an expander section into the bag and that is where it leaked.
I got wet ...the down stayed dry.

If I had got up changed my clothes wiped the bag clean I would then still have a nice dry sleeping bag... still as warm as ever.

though
on that experiment I'm not sure the fabric on the inside of the bag is as water proof as the outside of the bag...probably not so the emphasis would be not to let the water get inside the bag in the 1st place....

I have opted for "water proof" down bags because I like to go kayak camping and it is a safe bet that I will often be in wet conditions.
I like the down as it can compress so much that I can fit more stuff into the hatches of the boat.
Hope that is of some help in your decision..

a little "edit" update

I took a cup of water and poured it inside the bag...it puddled up nicely and I just wiped it up.

About how much elbow room a bag might have...
Bags that are advertised as ultra light or bags that stretch are often cut or "articulated" on the slender side to save weight.
So even when a particular brand may be recommended you'll still need to read carefully if the particular style your looking at is a roomy style.
If a bag says it's "alpine style" for example, it will most likely be a narrow
bag.

Last edited: