Hiking in Maine + Blueberries

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for an awesome hike (something in the 5-10 mile range) in Maine that has a guaranteed abundance of blueberries for picking? If so, which week(s) are typically peak blueberry season for it?

I have a little cousin that loves hiking and I thought it might be cool to add this into a trip. I still have never seen blueberries on any trail in New England myself either.

Thanks!

If you're up by Rangeley, Bald Mtn near Oquossoc has a nice little trail up with a gazillion blueberries and a fire tower. Maybe 1-1.5 miles each way- not bad at all. My kids are not avid hikers and did fine on it last year at age 6 and 8. I'm thinking the berries are probably about peaking right now.

Weatherman

You'd better get out there quickly - wild low bush blueberry season peaks usually late July/early to mid August depending upon the weather and the location. In Western Maine, Pleasant Mountain and East Royce Mountain are both pretty well picked over already.

Greg - I agree with the others, especially Little Jackson. Another one is Rumford Whitecap on the Andover/Rumford line. There are more there than anywhere I have hiked. Go soon, as the blueberries ripen there a bit earlier than some others. The directions to Rumford Whitecap in the AMC Maine Mountain Guide are perfect...

If you go later in the month, Little Jackson is certainly a better choice, as the best blueberries are at high elevation above treeline.

Hope all is well my friend.
Marty

Another vote for Little Jackson. Blueberries were quite abundant the last week of August last year. I also think the hike qualifies as awesome. Another option in the same area is Blueberry Mountain. I've never been there but the name alone sounds promising! Good luck and enjoy.

I hiked Dorr & Cadillac in Acadia last weekend with 2 of my friends via the Ladder trail > Notch trail > Gorge trail and there were blueberries bushes in varying stages of ripeness pretty much all the way to the top of both summits. Round trip of just under 5 miles I believe.

We joked that in addition to book time in the AMC guide they should also include blueberry time as it took us a bit longer than it normally would have to reach the top due to the frequent stops for the yummy blueberries.

Blueberries in VT

A number of years ago I hiked up to Mt Hunger (near Stowe/Waterbury, VT). There were TONS of blueberries! I assume there still are.

I'll be in Stowe from Aug 11-18. I'll check things out and post an update.

I went picking on Andover Whitecap today 8/07. The blueberries are getting near past. We did find some good spots on the sides of the trail a few hundred feet before the summit, but they were right on the edge of overripe. Still worth the trip for the views.