Canada Lynx comeback in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Unfortunately, one lynx met its end in a chicken coop but there are several other reports of lynx prints in VT

Here's how to distinguish lynx from bobcat, with track prints about halway through this publication. Basically the lynx prints are much larger than the bobcat's. It's reasonable to start looking for them in all the upper New England states as Maine also has confirmed sightings.

Very cool. I'm positive that I saw lynx tracks in the col b/w Middle Sister and First Sister of Chocorua last winter. The tracks showed pursuit of a snowshoe hare. I wish them all success. :D

happy trails :)

As I recall, a wildlife migration or road crossing study a winter or two back on rt. 2 in New Hampshire also found the first lynx in many years in NH. They are out there!

Correct, and my track sighting happened about a week before that report was published. It might have been two winters ago. At the time I assumed they were from a bobcat and I didn't take careful photographs. Later I learned that bobcat tracks are much smaller and the tracks I saw had to be made by a lynx. Next time, I'll look closer for evidence.

happy trails :)

Waumbek said:
Here's how to distinguish lynx from bobcat, with track prints about halway through this publication.

Thanks for the great link. Another expertly prepared PDF file to fill up my hard drive. Now I can authoritatively distinguish between lynx and bobcat here in New York City.

I used to run into researchers who had placed radio collars on twenty pair of lynx imported from western Canada into the Adirondacks. Most were killed by traffic, and then the batteries ran out on the others.

I had no idea the two species (both genus Lynx) were so similar in size and coloring.
Could they interbreed ? NOT quietly, I'm sure !

Here in NC, I've read about at least two different turkey hunters being jumped by bobcats ! Apparently their turkey-calling was pretty accurate.

MR

The think the Lynx population in NH and Vermont is higher then officals know. The Lynx is one of the most elusive animals there is, officials finding these sets of tracks and sightings mean how many tracks have been seen that most thought were bobcat and completely not reported like Forestnome saw? I have seen Lynx tracks on the Ethan Pond trail, the perfect conditions exhist there for there, large roadless Boreal forest with a large amount of Snowshoe Hares. A study was done many years ago by the forest service in the Pemigewasset Wilderness, I think another needs to be done. I would imagine they would move into Coos County first then northern VT and the White Mountains. I imagine once they rebound in numbers, you will see the bobcat population go down up north since they increased with the loss of the Lynx. I think the idea of seeing a Lynx chase a rabbit through the snow is exciting, and may happen someday. Wolf and Mountain Lion time now.. -Mattl

Last edited:
Studies in NH have so far pointed toward a breeding population in the Jefferson area. I work in the field and have never heard any evidence of Lynx anywhere south and would be very shocked if it were to come to light. They require HUGE home ranges and are very wary of humans. Tracks in snow could be very difficult to distinguish without other clues. Lynx have MUCH longer legs than bobcats and therefore can hunt in more northern areas in much deeper snow and thrive where bobcats would not do as well.

If they are from Canada, do you think the border patrol are checking their passports and also on I-87, I-91 and I-93? :p

Jay

Lynx

A tripping buddy and I surprised one on the bank of a little traveled stream during a canoe trip in Northern Maine. He was gone as quickly as he appeared. A beautiful cat.

Mattl said:
Wolf and Mountain Lion time now.. -Mattl

Funny you should mention that. John Harrigan, one of the North Country's most experienced and respected voices, was on NHPR yesterday and he talked about three individual encounters he has had with wolves in northern NH. He also said he is conviced that mountains lion(s) also are living in the NH woods.

You might be able to hear his interview archived at NHPR.org - he was on The Exchange.

Thank you for that link, I enjoyed listening to that John. That story at the end about the wolf howling was good, made me wish I could have been there to hear it. He also made a hillarious comment at the end about how he can see two foreign counties from his house view, Canada and Vermont. I am surprised John didn't talk about all the protected land that NH has recently purchased, like the CT Lakes Headwaters area. I think by the time most people realize what has moved in, we will have breeding populations of Lynx, Wolf, and Mountain Lion. -Mattl

There was a serious attempt to reintroduce lynx to the Adirondacks a few years back. Despite best efforts and large tracts of roadless areas, the attempt was not a big success.
They found that lynx are far-ranging, and the mortality with cars and humans took a high toll.
Perhaps some of the VT sightings are ADK decendants? While VT has some beautiful and remote areas, the state probably has fewer areas not crossed by roads than the areas in the ADKs where the lynx were released. Other than these exciting sightings, not sure the prognosis is any better than what happened in the Adirondacks. Lets hope so.

Rocky Branch Lynx

While overnighting at Rocky Branch Shelter several years ago (seems like about 5) our climbing party hiked out after an aborted Isolation attempt.

When we gained the height of on top of Engine HIll there were many Feline tracks crossing the trail only slightly smaller than my Leki snow baskets. Consistent with the Lynx.
I thought it might be a Catamount but in light of recent posts Ill go with Lynx :confused:

Climb On

Breeding Lynx Populations?

Curious about what studies these may be. The Lynx track that Mark Elbroch found in the Rt 2 Wildlife Crossing study 2 years ago were said by Fish and Game to be a transient animal. Elbroch backed up that judgment at the time. Has there been new evidence????

Back abotu 10 years ago when the forest service had to do and Environmental Impact Statement to justify keeping the AMC White Mountain hut system open, part of the study covered the potential of the huts impacting the lynx habitat in the Whites.

The conclusion at the time was that the area around the whites was too developed to sustain a breeding lynx population. This would lead to an isolated breeding population in the whites. Unfortunately the lynx cycles with the snowshoe hare population and the size of the whites was too small to sustain a breeding population during the low end of a snowshoe cycle. Therefore, the conclusion was that although lynx are present, they tend to be transient animals. (and AMC could keep their huts ;) )

Of course other species have shifted their behavior to tolerate humans and there are some very large blocks of good lynx habitat that run north of the whites to the canadian border so I am betting on the lynx!