Add 'em up!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, once again, it's time to take stock of the year that was. How many peaks did you climb this year? Use whatever criteria you want! :D

Laurie and I did 84 peaks, from Maine to Southern New York. Exactly half of them were off trail. Elevations ranged from 1000'ers to 5000'ers. Temps ranged from the 90's down to the -10's F. Winds ranged from dead calm to deadly! :eek:

And the highlight of the year - We got married at the summit of Whiteface! :D

Happy New Year! Hope to see you out there in 2008!

Only 84, what did you do the rest of the time? :D
I take it Whiteface did stand above all others. Congratulations are in order for you and Laurie on this last day of 2007.

Happy New Year,

Christine

Last edited:
BlackSpruce said:
Only 84, what did you do the rest of the time? :D
I take it Whiteface did stand above all others. Congratulations are in order for you and Laurie on this last day of 2007.
Thanks. There are lots of other things that keep us busy, but we try to get out about 3 times a month on average. I didn't count Whiteface as a hike, but it was certainly a mountain top experience! :D

I am pretty sure I hiked at least 76 4k's in 2007 in the Northeast-- there were a few repeats in there and some I may be forgetting...if we are also counting 3ks, my total would be about 82 4k & 3k peaks. We did an 9k in Colorado, as well -- but does that really count when the trailhead is at 8500k? :D

Could have, should have, would have done about dozen more and finished the NH and ADK lists in 2007, but a shoulder injury and refocusing my energy on my new home have taken priority since early November. I spent the day yesterday admiring Tecumsah from the slopes on Waterville Valley Ski Resort, that could have been 4k # 76 if we'd hiked instead of skiied!

What a great year of hiking 2007 was! Looking forward to more fun in 2008 -- although our New Year's Eve plans tonite at Carter Notch Hut with a New Year's Day climb of Carter Dome were thwarted this morning as the serpentine chain on MichaelJ's Outback shredded on Rt 3 near the NH border...arrggghhh!!!

I think my favorite hike of 2007 was either a Southern Presidential Traverse hiked with MichaelJ or an early April/winter conditions climb of Madison and Adams made with Drewski/MntnDrew and Terra...but climbing Whiteface and enjoying Tom and Laurie's wedding is a day we'll never forget. :)

edit: see..I did forget a couple of 3ks! Shrewsbury Peak and Little Killington -- what a great day that was!!!! And Stratton, a NEHH....another fun day with MichaelJ and Terra the traildog! Oh yeah, Colden x 2

Last edited:
I think I hit 17 NH 4K's, 14 for the first time and the rest repeats. My favorite? A three day Pemi backpack with Sapblatt. I was awed by the views on Guyot as we broke out of the trees, and the sunset views from West Bond were unbelievable. Tuco's 48th on Passaconaway comes in a close second.

I hiked four 4K's with my son Eric, which is a great way for us to spend some time together. Although they don't know it, the rest of the kids will do more hiking in 2008.

More important than the hiking, though, are the friendships that have developed from this board. For the first time in many years, group hikes outnumbered solo's. I still like to solo, but now it's because I want to, not because I have to.

I was able to get to two winter 4K's, and one very nice walk in the Pemi in February. 2008 looks to be another good year, twelve peaks to go to finish the list. I look forward to sharing my trips with all of you, and I also look forward to reading about everyone else's adventures.

Since I just happen to have the numbers in front of me...

105 named or prominent summits in 10 states of which 56 were new, ranging from drive-up to 3-day backpack, summit elevations from 195 to 14110

was sick much of this year, hope to do better next year!

Looks to be around 96, a mixed bag of repeated 4Ks from years past, some "unlisted stuff" and many 3K bushwhacks. Of the 96 I went back a second time to about a half dozen so they don't play into the tally.

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'.

Damon

I climbed 163 peaks in 2007... 44 trailed & 119 bushwhacked.

NE451 : 133 peaks (1 repeat)
ADK46 winter : 15
NEHH winter: 12

State High Points : 2 (Ohio & Indiana)

"non-list" : 1

People I hiked with : priceless!

Last edited:
I wasn't able to do everything that I had originally hoped due to a knee injury (all things considered, missed a bunch of weeks that would add up to something like two months out of commission between May and September), but all in all it was okay.

- 139 days with at least one peak hiked
- Summitted peaks in every New England state except Rhode Island
- 0 state high points ascended, 1 state highest summit ascended.

My first NH 4,000 footer ever was May 2.

- 49 NH 4,000 peaks (8 repeats, still 7 short of the 48...still on the fence about whether or not I care enough about lists to do Owl's Head)
- 5 NH 4,000 winter peaks (all in Dec., no intention of completing this list though)
- 3 ME 4,000 peaks

Wow, you people are amazing! I was afraid that 84 would look like bragging, but I can see that is NOT the case! :eek:

I received a private correspondence that a member of this board did 315 peaks last year! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have absolutely no idea how many peaks I climbed in 2007.

Here's the stats I kept track of for 2007:

585.3 miles hiked
131,260 feet of elevation gain
66 mountains hiked (I only count those that are 3K or higher...)
5 new state highpoints
23 bag nights (camping/backpacking both count.)

Of the last four years, this was my lowest tally for most of those numbers... I'm slowing down in my old age. ;)

My highest elevation this year was 10,556 feet.

- Ivy

Last edited:
I not into accounting but I guess my biggest thing(s) this year is finishing the CAT100 on Huntersfield in May. Never did I think I would go for the CAT100 upon finishing the top 35, but after Mark posted the link and seeing how much I've already hiked it since I love walking in the woods and exploring off the beaten path, it seemed natural and last winter, I hit the CAT100 big time with great friends and sometimes solo.

I also finished the ADK 46r regular list this year after being interrupted I say with the Catskills and it's hidden gems...

...and my house is still standing. Yay! :D

Jay

I'll bet I know who that 315 was :) I was going to mention something about that too without saying any names ;)

Here are my stats, good thing I have a nice excel spreadsheet:

+191 total peaks satisfying the 200' col rule
+124 3000-3999 footers
+52 4000+ footers: 13 in ADK, 1 in the Catskills, The rest in NH, ME, VT
+(the rest were under 3k)
+119 separate hikes
+79 peaks were bushwhacks

I finished the NEHH list in 7/1/07 with all peaks done in slightly under 10 months.

I almost finished the NHHH list, Im at 99 out of 108 (yeah a HH list with 108, go figure) most of what I have left is along the kanc.

I spent a lot of time bushwhacking later on in the year.

more than 909.83 total miles
more than 296,131 total vertical ft

Most memorable hike: Vose Spur epic death march in February.

Good year. I hiked solo almost always in 2006, and rarely hiked solo in 2007. Quite the shift.

Tom Rankin said:
Ok, once again, it's time to take stock of the year that was. How many peaks did you climb this year? Use whatever criteria you want! :D

I have hiked no peaks so far this year, In fact, I haven't even left the house.

My very modest accomplishments for 2007:

71 New Eng. 3K's. Goal was 50
43 NH, 27 ME, 1 VT
35 Bushwhacks- 14 Solo

Still learning everytime I go out.
Thanks to all who put up with me!

Happy flipping the calendar over.
Jim

I too keep a pretty good spreadsheet and here's what it tells me:

82 List peaks (all over 3500')
629 miles
180,860' of elevation gain
5 14,000 footers
8 state highpoints
Finished my 115 on Hamlin Peak :D

Most memorable hike was to King's Peak in Utah and was reported here

LIFE IS GOOD :D

63- Catskill Peaks. Completion of the Cats HH
5 - 4Ks in Vermont
13- 4Ks in NH
Greatest completion- My section hike of the Appalachian Trail on 9/21/07 6yrs, 21 days.

2008 Plan on completing the NE115