Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
Has anyone been up Chocorua in the last week and if so which trails? I am thinking of taking the family out on Sunday and would prefer not to have any surprises it being Mother's Day and all :) Any status on stream crossings, snow pack, etc

If you're looking for less snow and easier stream crossings I'd pick a trail with a southern exposure, Liberty or Brook trails maybe. I don't remember either having any major crossings, those two make a nice loop as well.

The summit ledges looked snow free from afar the past few days from the Squam Range.

Above treeline, I could see a little bit of snow on the northeast end (below where the trails are).

Piper Trail trail up to Nickerson Ledge Trail was no problem in terms of water crossings (that's as far up as I went...there are two more crossings if I recall, but they shouldn't be bad).

I suspect the Liberty Trail should be okay too, but I would also expect some monorail when it clears the top of the ridge, until it hits treeline (there was snow on that stretch a year ago around this time).

Based upon the snowpack on the Champney Falls Trail a few weeks ago, I suspect it could be rather muddy down low and still snow covered up high.

Today the Champney Falls Trail was clear and dry all the way to just below the switchbacks. From there to the Middle Sisiter Cutoff there is still plenty of snow stacked up on the trail. I would expect the same conditions all the way to treeline. I would not recommend it as a family hike right now. I noticed a few spots where running water has melted the snow from underneath, leaving you to punch through and trash your legs on the rocks below.

happy trails :)

Plan B

Broke out the road bikes and went for a long ride instead. If I wait another couple of weeks the black flies may be out in force. You know nothing says says spring like black flies!

Thanks for the comments, they were helpful.