Hiking in the Monadnock area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

townsie

Reaction score
I'm new to VFFT and to New Hampshire. I recently moved to the Monadnock area and I'm looking to do some hiking during weekday downtime. Any ideas about good training hikes and safe places for a young woman to do solo hikes would be much appreciated!

Besides the obvious choice of Monadnock itself there are numerous choices for quick hikes. Some of my favorites are Gap Mt (best view of the region), Little Monadnock or any parts of the Wapack Trail with a heavy prefference towards the southern part. You also have the Metacomet/Monadnock trail and the Monadnock/Sunapee Greenway.

I highly recommend "Hiking the Monadnock Region" by Joe Adamowicz, it has 30 hike descriptions, maps and directons to the trail.

I used to live in the area and when I am visiting the area I always hit Monadnock and at least one other small peak. Monadnock itself is a joy to explore. I would suggest "red lining" it.

Other hikes in the area are Bald Mountain starting at Willard Pond, Skatutakee and Thumb Mtns from the Harris Center in Hancock, Crotched Mtn. from the rehab. center road, N. & S. Pack Monadnock and Temple using the Wapack. There are also lots of nice woodland conservation areas to explore, including the Sheiling Forest in Peterborough.

This winter, I'd attempted enter the Miller State Park parking lot after a morning snow storm. Well, I couldn't make it.

Not far away I found a nice hike, Shieling Forest - Greenfield, NH. It's a decent loop trail that gets you out to enjoy the peace of the woods.

DaveG.

Monadnock has plenty of trails, the ones from the State park are quite busy so a single female should have company, other trails offer solitude if you want that too. Blueberries should soon be in season up there too.

Upper parts of the Marlboro & Dublin.

townsie said:
I'm new to VFFT and to New Hampshire. I recently moved to the Monadnock area and I'm looking to do some hiking during weekday downtime. Any ideas about good training hikes and safe places for a young woman to do solo hikes would be much appreciated!

Monadnock has no shortage of trails that are fun. The Wapack is also great, especially the Pack Monadnocks, Temple, Kidder. I have not been to Pisgah SP, but have heard good things. Mt. Sunapee is not too far, and has good hikes.

Not sure where you used to hike, but by all accounts, the Monadnock region and most other prominent areas of NH, especially the Whites are safe places to hike, for anyone.

I don't know that I have ever heard of an on-trail violent crime reported in the Monadnock area. That does not mean nothing has ever happened - but it certainly illustrates that these types of events are incredibly few and far between.

One thing I'd recommend is a copy of the AMC's Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide. Currently it's in its 2nd edition from 2005, but for the most part should still be highly accurate. EMS in Peterborough or Concord should have it on the shelves.

wachusett mtn is a short drive south of that area as well and offers decent short hikes and great views

gooly said:
wachusett mtn is a short drive south of that area as well and offers decent short hikes and great views
Wachusett is covered in the AMC MA guidebook. The visitors center (located just east of the ski area) has additional info and a nice map pamphlet.

If you want to make a full day of Wachusett, you can link severval routes up and down together.

Doug

The main South Pack trailhead at the state park is located on rte 101 about 30 minutes west from Nashua, or 5 miles east of Peterborough. I don't know if they have started collecting the $4 per person charge on weekends yet. It's an honor system if the gate isn't staffed. Same charge if you drive or hike to the top. The Wapack Trail has a steep start, then moderate to the top. The Marion Davis trail is mellower at the start with a steeper finish, but both trails are moderate overall. There is also the Raymond Trail that ascends the west side of the mountain. There is no fee, and it is much quieter and more peaceful. To get to the trailhead, head west from the state park about 300 yards and turn right onto East Mountain rd. Just past Cunningham Pond Rd, the trail head is on the right with parking for 2-3 cars. All of the S. Pack trails are approx. 1.5 miles to the top. To get to N. Pack keep traveling on East Mountain Rd about 3-4 miles, take a right onto Sand Hill Rd, veer right around a sharp corner, and the Wapack Trail is on the right after another 3/4 mile or so. This section of the Wapack is well traveled, but with no auto road or towers at the top it is more pleasant.
I haven't hiked Ted's and Marilyn's trails on N. Pack, but here is another post about those Ted's And Marilyn's Trails