Cog parking lot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
I have never used this lot - generally approach from other directions - does anyone know if the cog folks would allow a car to be left overnight in their lot? That location makes a lot of sense for a bale spot on an upcoming hike I have planned...
Thanks in advance for any info...

Just a 1/4 mile down the road is the normal hiker parking lot. That would be my choice for an overnight trip.

Dave -

It's a bit longer than 1/4 mile - closer to a mile from when the trails enter the woods.

Kevin

best bet would be to call them. I asked a few years ago about doing it and they wouldn't let me - overnight. Things may have changed.

In 2006 - a few of us parked there to summit washington by sunrise and we parked there about 1am and didn't have a problem I don't think.

Kevin Rooney said:
Dave -

It's a bit longer than 1/4 mile - closer to a mile from when the trails enter the woods.

Kevin

That is a very easy mile...

If you get there in the morning during regular Cog hours, you'll end up paying a parking fee ($5). Later in the afternoon they give up the ghost and you can get in free. Several years ago I hiked up the Jewell Trail very early in the morning (pre-6AM) and parked for free right up next to the buildings. There was no ticket nor was I hassled when I returned late in the afternoon.

JohnL

I'd park in the lower (hiker) lot and save yourself any uncertainty. The additional distance is trivial ... it may be a mile to the intersection with the trail from the cog lot but at that intersection you would have already covered some distance (3/4 mi?) had you started at the cog lot.

Just for the record, I measured the mileage this afternoon and it's about 0.6 mile from the USFS lot to the lower hiker's parking lot at the Cog, and about 0.8 mile from the USFS lot to the upper Cog lot next to the base station.

Is that a photo of yourserlf or is it simply an image you used for your an avatar? I recntly saw it in the July Outside magazine under header Bad road trip partner. I Know it's off topic but had to ask.