Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Ossipees (NH) Traverse, 11/15/08

FYI a longer route continuing to Roberts from Shaw (thus skipping Black Snoot and Big Ball) and exiting by Shannon Brook Trail comes out to approximately 15.3 miles and 2830' of elevation gain, which is a book time of 9:05. This does not include summits of Canaan or Faraway which involve small bushwhacks. This would require a third car spot. I am game if anyone else is and depending on weather conditions that day.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    FYI a longer route continuing to Roberts from Shaw (thus skipping Black Snoot and Big Ball) and exiting by Shannon Brook Trail comes out to approximately 15.3 miles and 2830' of elevation gain, which is a book time of 9:05. This does not include summits of Canaan or Faraway which involve small bushwhacks.
    You could shorten that by over a mile, while leaving vertical about the same and omitting no peaks, by parking at the LRCT hikers' lot (room for 6-8 cars) at the bottling plant (end of Ossipee Park Road), which is at the start of the Roberts Trail, a little north of the Castle.

I disagree that the summit of Faraway requires a bushwhack, but let's not go down that road. It does require a detour of a little over a mile (RT) that wouldn't be worth it except for "O-10 completists" (if there are any more), since there are better views nearby on the main route (High Ridge Trail), at the Faraway Mtn. Lookout. Canaan isn't even on the O-10, as I recall, and it doesn't have much for views either.

Could be up for this will let you all know as the date gets closer.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    I plan on spending some time with Trail Bandits map and measuring out some longer routes. Details to follow.
    Hi Andy,
    If you need the length of any trail, I can measure it on mapping program. It is a great project for a cold rainy day as I can sit by the fire inside and measure away. I plan to provide this information when I get around to printing the map.

Crap! I can't make it...sorry -- have already planned to be hiking elsewhere on that day!
    Have a great time
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    Crap! I can't make it...sorry -- have already planned to be hiking elsewhere on that day!
    Have a great time
    Sheesh, the Ossipees get the short end of the stick!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    Sheesh, the Ossipees get the short end of the stick!

I'm actually bummed to be missing the Ossipees! When MJ and I were driving to a beautiful wedding at Castle in the Clouds this past October I kept admiring the ridgeline of the Ossipees and drooling over a long traverse there...alas...there's talk of an adventuruous lass that hangs out around here sometimes finishing the NH48 that same day...
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    I'm actually bummed to be missing the Ossipees! When MJ and I were driving to a beautiful wedding at Castle in the Clouds this past October I kept admiring the ridgeline of the Ossipees and drooling over a long traverse there...alas...there's talk of an adventuruous lass that hangs out around here sometimes finishing the NH48 that same day...
    Excuses, excuses. People finish their 48 all the time. An exclusive Southern Ossipee Traverse is only once in a lifetime.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide

Count me in

I'm definitely interested. I've been wanting to hike Ossippees for some time and it would be good to do with people who know it well. I think the range would be fun to snowshoe and it'd be nice to visit first without snow first. I'll bring along a copy of the geology field trip guide.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

Definite Maybe

Weather dictates.
    Would very much like to do this hike! so we'll see what happens.

This sounds like a great adventure. I have been up Mt. Roberts in the winter, but would love to see other parts of the Ossipee range. Put me on the list. We may need a school bus for a shuttle at this rate!!
    Last edited by Jabberwalk; 11-06-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
    LV2HYK

After some consultation, I've posted an 8:00 start time (departure from McDuffee Road to the trailhead).

Also, if the weather is bad, a possible rain date might be Sunday the 16th.

--Update, due to the weather forecast, the hike is now planned for Sunday the 16th--
    Last edited by rocket21; 11-13-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Updated day of hike

Hey Jeremy

it looks more and more like I will be probably be able to make this hike

I"m good unless it is pouring so please keep me in the loop
    # 44

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    I"m good unless it is pouring so please keep me in the loop
    You mean keep you in the traverse

We're watching the weather right now and will perhaps do a roll call of sorts the middle of this week once we have better confidence in the forecast. Things look to be stablizing a bit during the week, but junk returning Thursday night.

Update
    Here's a map of the planned route for Sunday:

We're planning on parking at the McDuffee-Canaan Road junction, and then leaving there at 8:00 AM Sunday to go to the Terrace Pines campground (Sentinel Mountain Trail trailhead).

To get to the McDuffee-Canaan Road junction, take Route 171 North from Tuftonboro. Canaan Road will be on the right on a downhill section of 171 (there will also be a Camp Merrowvista sign). Canaan Road will at first be paved, then dirt. McDuffee Road is about 3-5 minutes from Route 171, and the junction is pretty easily found (by both road sign, and by the large, recently logged field full of tree stumps).

The hike could be cancelled under the following circumstances:
    - Significant snowfall or ice storm (not overly likely at this point), which would make the Gorilla Trail tough...the route would likely be changed if this were the case.
    - Bad weather on Sunday (if the forecast takes a dive between now and Saturday).
    - Unannounced 24-hour marathon of Archie Bunker's Place on TV Land (I've only seen three episodes, so I have a lot of catching up to do...but not overly likely at this point).
    Last edited by rocket21; 11-13-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Changed dates