Playing in the Ossipee's 1/15/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Peaks: Mt Shaw, Black Snout Mtn., Tate Mtn.
Trails: Mt Shaw Tr., Black Snout Tr. Banana Tr., Tate Mtn. Tr.
Miles: 7.5

I decided To head out for a hike Sunday after sitting home all day Saturday brooding about not joining the guys on a bushwhack. I knew full well of the predicted temps Sunday but cold has not been an issue for me long as I'm prepared for it. I decided on Mt Shaw as I still (NEEDED IT :cool: ) for 52WAV. I also decided to do a bit of a loop to lengthen it to make my drive worthwhile.

It was 5 degrees at the start. The Mt Shaw Tr. starts as a road on easy grades. It seems to switch back and forth from road to trail all the way to the junction with the Black Snout Tr. Not sure what that's all about. The grades get a bit steeper over the last half mile. Luckily the winds were from the north so the southern side of the Ossipee's were blocked from them making the hiking quite comfortable. Not cold, not sweating, perfect. :D

After about 2 or so miles the Mt Shaw trail connects with the Black Snout Tr. This trail is also road like. Higher up it is a snowmobile trail but I don't believe so at first. Possibly at one time. Snowmobiles are allowed on it at the .4 mile to go to the summit mark where the Black Snout Tr. connects with the High Ridge Tr. Just before reaching this spot, which is fenced stoping snowmobiles from going further down Black Snout, I ran into a large bill moose who seemed determined not to move. I guess he's not into of bushwhacking. 8) Good thing for me though because I was able to take some pictures. Ending up having to shout and wave my arms to get him to move off trail. Trail hog.:mad:

I reached the summit of Shaw in about 3 hrs. :rolleyes: I can't take 3 weeks off from hiking. The views were fantastic, well worthy off the list. But here I was greeted by the winds. The thermometer on my read -8 so with the 10-15 mph winds, I'm guessing -20+. All was good except my hands. As I took the mitts off to take way too many photos. Some things never change. :confused:

After getting the feeling back in my fingers I headed back down to Black Snout. Great views of the lakes region. From there it was down the Banana Tr. For the first 1/8 mile there was a ton off black ice under the snow causing numerous slips even with the spikes on. Maybe that's how it got it's name. :cool: That took me to Tate Mtn. where there were more great views. Finally the Tate Mtn Tr. which took me back to the Mt Shaw Tr. and out. It was 8 degrees. A heat wave. :D

This was a simply fantastic little hike. Perfect for winter. I must commend the Lakes Region Conservation Trust (I believe this is who maintains this area) for doing a fantastic job with the trails. Well maintained, especially the blazing.

Sorry but this is the first winter hike this season I had views. :eek:

My Too Many Pix :cool:

I agree, the Ossippee's are very nice! Some of the most beautiful views in the state can be found there. Sounds like you made a great decision on a foul-weather day. :D

The switchbacks are due to the snowmobile/old carriage roads I believe. The grades on most of the trails in the area are extremely gentle with many switchbacks.

Mt Shaw

Great pictures. I have hiked Mt Shaw many times and never saw a moose( a real special treat). Mt Shaw is a real gem in the Lakes Region. I also like the new signs.

Mainer

Love those zoom shots!

Your camera does awesome zoom shots! The views to the north are amazing! I love the shot of Carrigain Notch. Well worth the numb hands! What with the moose sighting you had great day out! I love the Ossipee's.

Cheers!

Nicely done Joe!

As you indicated in your report, and as verified in many of your photos, the Lakes Region Conservation Trust does a great job with their trail system.

Joe,
Lots of great shots. Looks like a real fine loop. We'll have to add it to our "to do" list for our next trip. Always looking for new ideas. You can't miss the signs on those trails.

Donna:)