circle-mt dickey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
Can anyone clear up what the cause of the circle is on the rock on Mount Dickey (geological, please)? A prospector friend said he has seen them before.

Yes that's the one. I though someone might enjoy explaining it geologically.

circle-mt dickey
Can anyone clear up what the cause of the circle is on the rock on Mount Dickey (geological, please)? A prospector friend said he has seen them before.

I'm not sure of the details, but I've been told that it is a Native American artifact and is related to a large pointed rock a bit further up the ledge. I don't have a photo of the pointed rock but do remember seeing it.

Thanks for the posts. I will keep looking into it and get back with both geo and cultural explainations

I've long been fascinated by this circle and have heard the stories about it being related to the Summer Solstice. I've wanted to go there for sunrise on the Solstice, but that hasn't worked out yet. A friend of mine is a professional geologist and has looked at my photos. He says that it is a) man-made and b) very, very old. I've looked around the mountain for other "signs" of carvings and finally found one which I don't seem to be able to upload here, but if anyone wants to see it, just PM me. A few years ago I sent the photo to an organization that tracks New England geological objects of interest, and the president said he was going to be in the Watervill Valley area and look into it, but I've not heard anything back.