Looking for a hiking buddy during my vacation week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
I realize that it's perhaps a bit early for me to make this post, but...

In anticipation of my upcoming vacation week at work, I'm looking for someone - anyone! - who'd be willing to hike with me on any of the days between Dec 24 and January 1 (inclusive). Weather-permitting, I'd really like to stick with 4k/HH peaks, but at this point I'm up for climbing anything. I know I'm still quite new here on VFTT, but I've been told that my company is... tolerable (granted that I'm not excessively jacked up on caffeine, which does happen with relative frequency :p).

Post back/email/PM me if interested. I will bake in exchange for a hiking buddy. :D

I have the same timeframe off, Dec 24 to Jan 2. I also am looking to do as many 4k’s as I can during that time. I’m also looking to do an overnight to Gray Knob/Crag Camp to bag Madison, Adams, and Jefferson. The overnight is contingent on weather. I’m a medium speed hiker. References to follow.;)

but I've been told that my company is... tolerable (granted that I'm not excessively jacked up on caffeine, which does happen with relative frequency :p).

I’ve been told that my company is intolerable, than again I’m an acquired taste.:D

As a biased observer, a possible description of LRIZ is "Energizer Bunny":D

I have the week off and would be up for some "fair weather hikes" (which I tend to plan about 2 days in advance).

I am thinking of possibly doing Owls Head on or around the 24th, but very much depends on weather and trail conditions. I will probably also do another hike in this time frame. Whiteface & Passaconaway maybe. Flume, Isolation, Carrigain, Carter Dome & Wildcat are high in my list. Bonds and Zealand I will do whenever the weather and conditions are right.

Andy - we know of somebody trying to get a group together for an Isolation attempt on the 27th or 28th. PM or email us if you rinterested.

I would also like to get some winter 4K peaks that week. I have Dec. 29-January 2 available (without Alex). January 3 or 4 I will hike something (don't know what yet) with Alex.

The 26th/27th I would like to TRY and backpack Zealand and the Bonds, but if the overnight temps/weather don't agree I will probably daytrip something in the presidentials. Also, I have some vacation time still left over I saved just for the purpose of weekday peakbagging, so I can get a weekday off if need be. Again, Presidentials are my first choice, but I also have shorter trips that I would be happy to entertain like Willey, Hancocks, Flume (via Osseo), Kinsmans (ideally from Mt. Kinsman Trail over on the West flank of the mountain), Cabot and Moriah.

Brian

LRiz,

Most likely, I'm available for some of this time. You know my preference for early starts and long days, multiple peaks, which usually means headlights on each end at this time of the year.

Let me know if you want to get together. Since the Tom/Field/Willey/Avalon hike didn't happen I'll probably be interested another try. This isn't a particularly long day but it get's three winter 4K's. ;)

Earl

I'm off starting on the 20th for 2 weeks. I need Cabot and South Kinsman out of the previous lists. I believe there were others mentioned that I need as well, but my "Isn't it Friday?" brain isn't keeping up with me. I'm in Maine and could easily carpool with folks from over here if you're looking to head to NH.

Wow! This is exciting... I'm really happy to see that so many of us have such a similar vacation schedule. We should be able to plan some awesome hikes. :D

The only 4k that I've checked off on my winter list is Pierce, and therefore I'm up for climbing any of the peaks that have been proposed. Just to consolidate:

• Madison and Adams
  • Jefferson
  • Whiteface and Passaconaway
  • Flume
  • Isolation
  • Carrigain
  • Carter Dome
  • Wildcat(s)
  • Bonds and Zealand
  • Kinsmans
  • Hancocks
  • Cabot
  • Moriah
  • Tom, Field, Willy, and Avalon

All look great to me... I wish I was a little less indecisive, and had a better sense of how to go about selecting mountains to climb. I'll have a total of nine days to hike during my vacation, and plan to be out in the mountins on each of those days (granted that the weather cooperates).

Unfortunately, I am still without power at home (currently perched at a Panera and my friend is pressuring me to go), so I need to run. I'll try to log in tomorrow from the office to continue this post. :)

I am also interested in possibly hiking some of these peaks in the time frame that you mention. I am slowly working on my winter peaks in NH.

I completed my ADK 46W (class of 05) with a lot of help from my friends :).

I am from Albany NY and would be overnighting someplace close by. Last time I stayed at the AMC facilities at Crawford notch.

Anyways, if I can clear my slate at work I will be in the area and I may be interested in participating in some of these hikes.

I am getting my winter hiking legs in shape (as we all are), and typically I'm a pretty steady hiker...

Unfortunately, I will not have internet access after I leave home (next week 12/24+/-), so I will continue to watch this thread for any definite scheduling of hikes.

Andy

There is a possible third snow syetem moving through mid week next week (Wednesday/Thursday) that may disrupt hiking plans. A friend of mine that lives in Milford is still without power also. Milford seems to be last on the list to get power. Good luck.

Liberty Flume

I have been thinking about solo on Flume (liberty would be great too), would deffinatly appreciate company. I might be slow, just getting over a sever toe crush and a bad cold. I was also thinking about taking my dog (a golden named Scotty) on his first 4k.

Post reply or PM me if your interested.