Soft Shell Jacket Choices

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPD1600

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice/experience on soft shell jackets. I'm currently debating between purchasing the EMS Endotherm, North Face Apex Bionic, Mtn Hardwear Synchro and Mammut Cerro Torre. If anyone has experience with anyone of these jackets (or even better can directly compare them based on use) I'd be very appreciative.

I'm not terribly concerned about the price (they range from 99 for the EMS jacket to about 190 for the Mtn Hardwear), but if the cheapest one performs as good or better than the others, obviously, I don't see need in spending more than I need to. I plan on using the jacket primarily for winter peak bagging. My own subjective, non-scientific opinion is that I sweat alot, thus, breathability is very important. Of secondary importance, is windproof/waterproof-ness so that I can shed the weight of carrying a hard shell in my pack on winter hikes.

I have no experience with either, but would like to put in a plug for the LL Bean Trail Model soft shell jacket. I have had it a couple winters now and absolutely LOVE it. Only draw back is I wish it had a hood, but that is a minor nit pick on a great jacket at a great price too.

Brian

I have no experience with either, but would like to put in a plug for the LL Bean Trail Model soft shell jacket. I have had it a couple winters now and absolutely LOVE it. Only draw back is I wish it had a hood, but that is a minor nit pick on a great jacket at a great price too.

Brian

I have an older version of Bean's soft shell jacket - I'm not sure what it was called, but I love it. For me, the new one doesn't cut it mainly because it lacks pit zips. I also like inner and outer chest pockets and sleeve pocket on mine.

But, for a sale price of $59.95, a water-resistant, breathable, guarantee-backed soft shell is a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Mountain Hardware conduit

I have some older model Mountain Hardware softshell called Conduit

it wears like. iron....literally my jacket is 5 years old and looks new.. the pants warm and full zipped for function..in all but the most extreme hikes i leave the jacket in the car in favor of lighter fleece and a paclite gortex shell for less weight and better diversity

this layer over mt hardware transition and you are pretty well set

I do carry a paclite gortex Arctyrex for maximum rain protection though I suspect if i re rainproofed the softshell once in awhile it would be fine..the conduit is quite wind[proof however and eliminates the need for external layer

bottem line..the mountain hardware conduit softshell an integral part of my winter arsenal dealing with local vagaries of winter..anyway...hope that helps

Last edited:
In the winter I carry a hooded fleece, a wind/rain jacket (EMS brand), and a down coat, as well as some extra layers of course. Have never found the need for separate jackets labelled as soft shell or hard shell - but I suppose you could call my heave fleece a soft shell. I sometimes wear the wind/rain jacket over the fleece, and have never yet worn the down jacket on a hike - it's mostly for emergencies.

What I like about my soft shell is the microfleece lining allows me to only have to wear 1 or 2 layers (usually Capilene 3 and/or Wool/Poly Blend) under it and it protects me from the wind and snow on branches or falling from the sky - yet it provides superior ventilation and comfort compared to a hard shell IMO.

In the winter I carry a hooded fleece, a wind/rain jacket (EMS brand), and a down coat, as well as some extra layers of course.

Like Bob, I also carry a hooded fleece sweatshirt, down jacket and a LL Bean Mountain Guide circa 1998 Goretex hard shell in my pack with assorted other extra layers.

Last edited:
I'll add another one for you to consider, The Mountain Hardwear Torch.

I got this jacket right before Christmas for $100 from the website I linked to. I haven't really put it to the test yet, but I made a couple trips to my kids bus stop in it. Temps around 20, very windy, with just a t-shirt under it, and I could not feel the wind through it. Kept me warm. Also shed the rain nicely. It came highly recomended to me from the gear/moisture management experts at ADKHighpeaks forum. I'm sure with some searching you could find it for cheaper.
Here's a link to the thread where it was discussed. Most of the discussion can be found on pages 2 and 3.

I have looked a couple years for a suitable soft shell. Never found one that was particularly comfortable to wear while simultaneously giving me confidence in the insulation, windblock and water resistence. Having resigned myself to the fact that I should carry a hard shell anyway, I bought a new hard shell instead.

Now, I generate a lot of heat so when I put on a hard shell it is usually a last resort. Before that I have two or three layers, including a vest that, at least once upon a time, had some good windblock character. Whether it lost some resistence or I lost some is up for debate.

BTW JPD1600, get a new hat, too. :p:D

Last edited:
As for the EMS Endrotherm... It is the same material as the previous generation of TNF Bionic... Literally the same material.

For it's price point, it is a very nice softshell... It is cut a little generous, try it on if you can before buying to make sure you get the rightsize.

It is a pretty bomber jacket, and one that EMS has gone back to it's techincal roots for.

Continuing to throw out more options rather than address experience with the ones you listed :)
I've been pretty happy with the REI One jacket (last year's model.) The wind resistance could be a little better--especially in the pit zips--but the breathability is great. I see they're now listing it as using Schoeller fabric, so it's probably improved over last year's. Down to $140 now.

I've heard very good things about Beyond Clothing's soft shells, which are a little pricey but they'll definitely fit!

EDIT: I was just at REI. The One is using Schoeller WB400 fabric. On the down side, they've eliminated pit-zips from the design.

Last edited:
I prefer a simple windbreaker for most winter hiking and carry a Precip shell in case of rain. I'll adjust midlayers as necessary for the conditions. You can buy a LL Bean Casco Bay windjacket for $19.95. I have one of their nylon anoraks and it works just fine. At the upper end of the price range is Patagonia's Ascentionist jacket.

I have to second the Mountain Hardwear Torch. I have used my for ice climbing, bushwacking, and slogging through waist (and some chest) deep snow and it has performed without a hickup.

Stan...the hat stays, it's not being considered for replacement...ever. :D

Kevin, thanks for your thoughts on the EMS jacket, I was kind of leaning towards buying that jacket and taking advantage of their satisfaction guarantee and trading up to the North Face or Mtn Hardwear jacket if I wasn't happy with the EMS brand.

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to post a follow up.

I have the Marmot Leadville. It's been pretty good and has handled a wide range of temperature so far. It doesn't have a hood, which I thought I would miss having, but that hasn't been the case. I carry a light hard shell for extra wind and rain protection as well.

The Patagonia Ascensionist is worth checking out. I believe it's a newer or upgraded version of their Redi Mix model, which is a really light and durable soft shell. They're both on sale at EMS.

I purchased the REI E1 Elements Taku women's jacket last spring and I love it. Very stretchy as well as windproof and waterproof.

I was so happy with its performance that I purchased the pants for this winter. I have worn them hiking and skiing, and they are awesome -- very comfortable with a nice clean fit, stretchable, windproof, waterproof.

Lots of stuff out there -- especially for men -- I gave MJ the Mountain Hardware Synchro Pants last year and he loves them. Found that the women's versions weren't the same, as in many cases.

I would take Mountain Hardware over EMS anyday. REI makes very comparable softshells to Mountain Hardware & Arcteryx -- if you need to go off brand, I'd go with REI over EMS.

Hope this helps.

EDITED to say '"HEY KEWL!" I lived in North Salem for 7 years!! (Wallace Rd). Love that area!!

Last edited:
Follow Up

After much deliberation I went with the Mtn Hardwear Synchro jacket. Just based on a visual inspection, it seems like it would vent better than the North Face or EMS models because the interior lining is a mesh and the two large front pockets can vent through that mesh when left open. Hopefully I'll get to put it to good use this weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions.