A quick fix, Tecumseh 2/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
It has been a while, six weeks to be exact, since my last hike. Major health issues with both of my in-laws have prevented any one us doing just about anything. However - with school vacation looming and a small window opening, I got a reprieve to head north on Valentine's Day, as long I was home in time to spend the evening with my wife. I think she realized I was going out of my mind.

Linda, who I met a few years ago on a group hike, contacted me and told me she was interested in hiking. I told her about my time concerns and that I was going to Waterville Valley to hike Mt. Tecumseh. She was in! I would have soloed if I had to, but company is always nice.

Before leaving, I left a dozen roses and a box of candy on the kitchen table so my wife would have her Valentine's Day gifts when she woke up. Linda and I met up at a park and ride and loaded up Dora the Explorer, arriving at the trailhead just before 9. We got a parking space at the trailhead end of the lot, too. A quick check of the trail conditions, and we figured we could leave our crampons in the car, and carry snowshoes with us. We leapfrogged with a two ladies on the lower portion of the trail, then lost track of them. They must have called it a day.

The trail was nice, broken out and well packed (thanks to the gang that was there last weekend.) I barebooted up to about 3600', then switched to snowshoes because there were a few inches of powder on the ground and began to slide backwards. Linda wore snowhoes most of the way.

We got to the ski slope viewpoint, and were treated to awesome view across the valley to the Tripyramids. Clear blue skies and a bright sun, it was a very nice day. We moved along at a decent pace, reaching the summit in book time of 2.5 hours. We were hit with some wind on the final approach to summit, and at the summit itself. We hung there for a few minutes for pictures and some lunch, then began to hike down. We passed two more hikers as we left the summit, and in no time were at the parking lot. A quick change and we were off to the Common Man in Plymouth for some beer and nachos.

I've done this trip several times, twice in winter. Tecumseh may not be at the top of anyone's list, but it's just right when you need a short day for a 4K (hey - I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!)

Thanks to Linda for making the trip, and congrats to her on her first winter 4K

Pics are here http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0IZNnDNozasWNE

Tecumseh . . . it's just right when you need a short day for a 4K (hey - I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!)
Very nice TR . . . and I loved your poetry . . . perhaps that might be a new hobby for Bobby?!:)

Last edited:
Nice report and pictures. Now, I'm a little grumpy. The clear sky that was forecast for the day never showed north of Franconia Notch. I'm happy to see you had great conditions to the south.

I seem to recall the first time we hiked together was New Years Day a couple years ago. On that day we hiked Tecumseh. (are you working on a matrix of some sort?:rolleyes:) We've done a few more since then. It is time for another?

Earl

Hey Bobby, Sorry I could not join ya. A long pause from hiking makes the return all the sweeter.....:cool:

Brian

Maybe next time Brian. You guys had quite the day! Any time we can get out is a bonus.

1happyhiker said:
Very nice TR . . . and I loved your poetry . . . perhaps that might be a new hobby for Bobby?!
It's not easy keeping up with some of the talent on this board - hiking and writing!

BIGEarl said:
I seem to recall the first time we hiked together was New Years Day a couple years ago. On that day we hiked Tecumseh. (are you working on a matrix of some sort?) We've done a few more since then. It is time for another?

It was Tecumseh on 01/01/07 - my first winter 4K. I don't know about a matrix, but I would like to get a four season peak, and go on from there. I hope to get together with you again soon, Earl.

Really nice pictures! What's going on with that tree in the first photo?

Tecumseh's always a nice little hike, isn't it? Good times.

Bobby,
so glad you got out for a quick 4k fix :cool: Smart thinking about dropping off the Valentine's Day presents as you bolted out the door to hike. You are such a romantic. :rolleyes:

Nice TR, as always!

Hope we get out soon, my friend :)

Marty